Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Port Townsend , Washington
De-Winterizing Help

Hi...we are new Caravel 16 ft owners. Trailer came winterized from factory, no antifreeze. They used air. Picked up in December and due to covid, very abbreviated orientation. We have read manual, tips and guides on Airstream site, forum conversations and just keep trying a sequence of steps from here but never matches that particular source's access, photos or descriptions. At a loss. first of all, we think we have closed the drain valves under the trailer behind the dump hose. (Literature said they were open during winterization.) we then tried adding water to port labeled "City Water". That water all ran out of the little open relief valve hose in the water heater access compartment accessed on driver side. We saw a wonderful photo of pipes and valves including the three that you should reverse for summarization but can't locate where those live. Tried access under dinette seat like manual said, but only a closed tank and nothing like that photo of pipes and valves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Cherel
Setenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I don't have a Caravel. However, I wanted to respond. The city water, when hooked up, should not have any water coming out anywhere, other than when you use your faucets, shower head, toilet flush, etc. If there's water coming out when hooked up to city water, you must close the valves it's coming out of.

There should be another water inlet for your on board water tank. That tank holds water, and the water from that tank is only available through the use of your on board water pump.

Check your closets, under seating, etc. for winterization valves. It's hard to say, there may be some open, some closed. Your drain valves should be closed, including the on board water tank drain valve.

If the water heater relief valve had water coming out when hooked to city water then you have to wiggle/set that valve tab so it's in the closed position. Also, the water heater likely has a bypass valve that might be closed. You'll have to open that up to get water to the water heater. Normally, if you have antifreeze in the lines, the water heater bypass is set so antifreeze does not go in to the water heater. Then in spring, first you flush the antifreeze out of the lines, then open the water heater bypass valve to allow clean water to enter, so you can be ready for hot water when you want.

Hope that's clear, if nothing else, it gives you a bumparoo!

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Thank you Majorairhead. I called Girard, the water heater maker and the agent told me to pull or push, whatever worked on this lever below the relief valve. I did, it closed it...that problem solved. This is a tankless heater. Able to fill water tank now. Water comes out the shower, outdoor shower and sink with no problem. He knew nothing about bypass valve or location as he said that was airstreams choice of many re: installation. I will pursue location of other valves with dealer. We have a compartment under the left dinette...upon closer inspection I can locate 2 valves...quite small and buried under a bunch of electrical, etc. Since pix I have seen of normal (not winterized) all show 3 valves...two "in line" and one different. I hate to assume which two I am seeing in compartment and they are unmarked. But, since i might have you reading this...if I want to add the small amount of bleach to tank to sanitize, do I just pour into opening where freshwater hose goes? and...when tank is full do I just trust the electronic readout inside trailer on wall or wait for it to flow back out port? Thanks so much.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Yes, you can put the recommended amount of bleach in the freshwater tank inlet. (not the city water inlet).

On our unit, I can actually hear when the tank is full, you know the sound of water coming up the fill pipe? Otherwise, go by the tank readout, but just watch it closely. Make sure the overflow vent isn't obstructed. I also try not to have the hose in that inlet such that it creates a seal. That allows some air to escape around the hose if needed.

I'm hoping someone with more Caravel knowledge will chime in here

Old 03-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
It's also no surprise that you have water line valves buried under other stuff. Some times I'll stick my phone in there and snap a photo to aid in figuring out what is what. Sounds like those may be your low point drains, hard to tell.

On our unit, we can see underneath where the low point drains come out, there is a blue, and a red pex pipe hanging down from the belly pan underneath the trailer. Yours may or may not be as such, but I'm pretty sure you have them. They need to be closed unless you are winterizing or draining the system for some reason.

It the low point drains are open on our unit, and I hook up to city water, if the low point valves are open, it'll blow water right out those two pex pipes underneath, same if I have a full tank of water and turn on the pump.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Re: Those two valves...we also have them under trailer behind black tank hose. They were open and we closed. Then we tried adding our house water through hose to the City Water port. Turned faucets, shower and sink on and water flowed. Then I called dealer, and finally knew the difference between that tank and the fresh water tank. He said if the water went in and didn't drain out we were golden. Said that city water port did not go into 23 gallon fresh water tank and that we would have to use the water pump to get water to go through faucets, etc from fresh water tank. So...filled fresh water tank. Inside monitor read 100%. Turned pump on and faucets, etc. No water comes out of any of them. The water pump toggle switch makes no noise in either position, not sure if it should. Revisited stuff under dinette and could only find two valves. One didn't budge, the other was closed so we opened and the fresh water tank started draining under trailer. Literature says that there are two valves in there and also under trailer. I think they do the same thing. We closed it again and water stopped draining. No idea why water won't come out of faucets but now I will start researching that. I read some places about mixing valve or something? Brand new trailer...could it have sediment or those issues? Maybe. Thanks again for your help. Cherel
Old 03-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
See if you can locate your water pump. It's usually floor level, in the bottom of a cabinet, etc. Get a flashlight and look in there at the pump. Look for loose wires. I had a wire off of my pump one time. The pump worked in the morning, then after travel all day, it no longer worked. The wire had shaken loose.

Also, check your breakers, make sure you don't have a tripped breaker for that water pump.

When you turn the pump on, can you hear it running? Some times it takes a bit to get the water to flow. Maybe open a faucet while it's on. Just don't let it run too awful long without water going through it, don't want to burn up the motor.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
See if you can locate your water pump. It's usually floor level, in the bottom of a cabinet, etc. Get a flashlight and look in there at the pump. Look for loose wires. I had a wire off of my pump one time. The pump worked in the morning, then after travel all day, it no longer worked. The wire had shaken loose.

Also, check your breakers, make sure you don't have a tripped breaker for that water pump.

When you turn the pump on, can you hear it running? Some times it takes a bit to get the water to flow. Maybe open a faucet while it's on. Just don't let it run too awful long without water going through it, don't want to burn up the motor.
Hi, Checked the breakers...looked for loose wires under the maze of cables and electrical. I can't say pump ever worked. Came from factory winterized and then to us. But certainly made no noise when we turned on after filling fresh water tank and opening faucet. I have read that issue can be one of three loose wires behind monitor panel. I'm not really electrically experienced and I know how to make sure no AC is flowing...but not so sure of battery power? Just don't know enough about that. Not inclined to mess with it.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Hope all goes well for you. I'll be out most of today. I too am not terribly good with electrical. For me, I only did minor stuff to our unit during that time it was under warranty. I always let the dealership or factory take care of warranty stuff for sure.

Good luck! Post up in here how that water pump issue gets resolved, I'd like to know!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Thanks Majorairhead...no news on pump yet. Neighbor came over to do voltage/power reads but it is so buried and tight, he couldn't get access to use the meter without pulling stuff out. Meanwhile we have learned to use city water inlet and the water heater, toilet, all faucets work. Refrigerator, solar monitor, furnace all work. I hooked up water filter and an EMS surge protector, all good. Side awning is tricky, but they all work! Husband did more back-up practicing yesterday and showed progress. We have a two night reservation at Crescent Beach RV, with full hook ups, out on the Strait past Port Angeles starting today. Just 1 1/2 hours away. We were going to canx, but when we realized we could just use their water, we decided to go. It will be our first trip! I will post about pump when I know something. Again, thanks!
Old 03-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #11
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Try this Maybe?

You have probably already tried this, but to get your pump to work, your main "Battery Disconnect" switch usually located near the door, should be in the "use" position. Then Turn the pump switch on, You should hear the pump noise.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:53 PM   #12

2019 30' Flying Cloud
MINNETONKA , MN
I am a new owner of an Airstream2019 flying cloud 30 foot rear bedroom unit. I am in he final stages of getting ready for the season and am having some difficulty turning on the hot water. I can see a sign on the hot water heater which shows a lever suggesting "winterize" on vertical position and horizontal position for "in use". There are are two valves with white and red lines suggesting both hot and cold water either by passes or on off access places located under the rear seat of the kitchen table. Problem: I am not sure which value to fill the hot water tank and concerned about lighting the hot water heater without proper level of water in it. Any thoughts on figuring out how to fill the hot water heater to it's correct level before our first trip?
paljac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Hello Majorhead...I posted quite a while back but came back on today to research a new issue and realized it didn't' really post because my login timed out. I have since learned to stay logged in. Anyway, we resolved the issue and my abbreviated summary is due to a couple of months gone by! We got an airstream national tech hotline from dealer. Couldn't access the water pump wires through sink side monitors he suggested because it was wired so tight. That was his only suggestion for us to do on our own. He said to pull on the panel and look behind for loose wires. We tried to pull out...but no way. We decided to try another access. And YES...all power was shut off to trailer! HA! The Caravel has a closet behind the wall with monitor. We removed that access panel and had about an inch of visual space. Took photos of the 3 stacked connectors. The middle appeared to not be fully plugged in. Sent pix to dealer customer service and he tod me to try to push it on the rest of way if I could. No lateral leverage. We finally tried a pair of longer handled curved needle nose surgical type clamps and were successful. Turned power back on, water pump worked and water flowed! YAY. So thanks to all for helping us resolve that obstacle! Cherel