Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #41
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had my shed built for my 2012 28' Intl CCD. I built it 32' long....and now it houses my 30' Classic. Due to lot size, I could only manage 12' width (post to post). Needless to say, I am VERY good at backing into tight spaces. The shed has saved kinds of dreck from falling on the trailer, as well as pollen, huge rain storms....and several bouts of hail. (Which I know you would rather not worry about again.) I sheathed it in cedar halfway down so I would match other outbuildings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_180.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	285249  

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I had my shed built for my 2012 28' Intl CCD. I built it 32' long....and now it houses my 30' Classic. Due to lot size, I could only manage 12' width (post to post). Needless to say, I am VERY good at backing into tight spaces. The shed has saved kinds of dreck from falling on the trailer, as well as pollen, huge rain storms....and several bouts of hail. (Which I know you would rather not worry about again.) I sheathed it in cedar halfway down so I would match other outbuildings.

Looks high quality! I cringe to ask price?

I like that though - even without walls your coverage is very good - I may consider pole barn plus those partial walls

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #43
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
It was in the mid 20's. Then I had to have the cement pad and extend it to the driveway. Then I added remote control operated doors that open the two gates wide enough to back the trailer up the grade into the shed. If I ever sell this place, the pole barn can easily be finished into added garage/shed space...or some other kind of building. This was one more example of my tendency to have "scope creep" when I get into a project. It starts small and gets bigger and bigger. Like redoing the trailer electric system into a Magnum MSH30 inverter, 600 W of solar, dishwasher, and on and on and on!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
We had a metal structure done late last fall. It came from A PLUS in North Carolina. Excellent quality. We got the certified extra snow load and wind certificate. Heavier Guage metal and frame with extra framing. Will do gables and other finishing such as boxing legs this year. This is 12' high to horizontal rafters in center section and 18' wide for the AS 31 classic. There is a 10' wide shed on each side that are not as high perfect for the Tundra ... DW's Rav 4 and a classic car too, as the sheds are also 32' long. Plenty of room to work on the AS and it's well protected from snow and other bad stuff. For now gravel floor but we do have lights and 30 amp. APLUS quality was good and when we finish, it will be more attractive.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstreamer View Post
We had a metal structure done late last fall. It came from A PLUS in North Carolina. Excellent quality. We got the certified extra snow load and wind certificate. Heavier Guage metal and frame with extra framing. Will do gables and other finishing such as boxing legs this year. This is 12' high to horizontal rafters in center section and 18' wide for the AS 31 classic. There is a 10' wide shed on each side that are not as high perfect for the Tundra ... DW's Rav 4 and a classic car too, as the sheds are also 32' long. Plenty of room to work on the AS and it's well protected from snow and other bad stuff. For now gravel floor but we do have lights and 30 amp. APLUS quality was good and when we finish, it will be more attractive.
Dave

Oh - excellent

Did they line you up with a contractor or did you line up your own? How much are labor costs when putting up one of those?

My budget I believe is keeping me looking at the metal buildings.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
For the DIY group.

The uplift from wind many times is the design criteria which determines the amount of concrete in each post hole.

Simpson Strongtie is a material supplier and they have a ton of information on wood joint fasteners that meet hurricane wind parameters on their website.
rjmaype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
We are storing in southern BC on an acreage filled with large trees, most over 40 feet tall. I'd like to use some for the structure which will be a shed style attached to a very large garage. The ASAP would easily fit in the garage with the boat but the door is too low by about a foot. An option would be reframing the door and installing a taller door. Then I just have to relocate a 30 amp existing circuit to keep the trailer hooked up. Won't need 50 amp as we won't require ac in the garage. I'll have to look at the costs to reframe.
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmaype View Post
For the DIY group.

The uplift from wind many times is the design criteria which determines the amount of concrete in each post hole.

Simpson Strongtie is a material supplier and they have a ton of information on wood joint fasteners that meet hurricane wind parameters on their website.
When I helped a friend build his deck, we didn't want a high wind to send the deck flying. Totally unscientific but we buried the posts about three feet in the ground. But before doing that we put 6 long lag screws sticking out of each one under ground. In order to pull out, the post is going to need to pull those through three feet of dirt and grass. I don't think they're going anywhere.

I do agree that the fear is not the wind blowing your shelter over, but because the roof is peaked, the wind will create a vacuum under the roof and it will lift like an airplane wing.
A 40' roof flying through the air is a real danger.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Pharm,
They have dealers and send contractor with materials and our installers were excellent. I'm sure if you contact the. Company, they may find dealer near you. A Plus is in Mt Airy NC. You provide prepared level spot. Ours cost around 5500 dollars total with extra heavy materials etc. The 18x32 with 2 10x32 sheds. They can suggest some ways to really dress it up with build outs of legs etc for a little more $. We didn't yet as winter was closing in. AS and vehicles are well protected and there is plenty of room to work on AS.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just did a search on A Plus and there are some pretty ugly reviews of their service.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had a metal carport installed once.
A crew of Mexican laborers showed up at about 5 PM.
I was concerned if they could finish before dark.
They erected an 18 x 21 carport in 45 minutes!
They arrive with everything they need and get to work- fast!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The metal option in fine with but it seems many companies that you google have some "common" elements of bad reviews

I hope to find a local contractor I can trust to work with me to source materials and do it right.

I don't know - ugh

Old 05-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are usually places all over town advertising the metal carport.
You pay a 10% down payment to that place of business.
That is their commission from the sale.
Then you pay the balance to the installer when the job is complete.
When I had mine installed there was a used car lot right by the house where I paid my down payment/deposit and made the order.
That used car lot is now defunct, but the process will be the same, just with a different place to pay the down payment/deposit to and make the order.
I might order the Airstream shed through Holcomb Portable Buildings. I have purchased 2 sheds from them. They have sheds, pole barns, and metal carports.
As I said, there are places all over town advertising the metal carports.
These carports cannot be financed. You have to have the money. They may accept credit cards. You might get a signature loan at the bank before you order.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
Since we live on a bluff over the water (Whidbey Island) we get some significant wind (35 - 45 mph). That said, I ordered my metal carport with half walls and rear, then I installed PVC lattice from Home Depot. The lattice allows wind to pass through and the green lattice helps to beautify (Er, make that less uglify) the view my neighbors have of the structure. It also helps to obscure what is enclosed. The front is open which does let in minor dust and tree pollen - our annual crop each spring here in western Washington. But the price was right ($5500.00 installed) and it provides a lot of weather protection. I am quite pleased with the result. I also house a boat and utility trailer. Structure measures 30' deep x 20' across.
Christopherb,
I live in Anacortes and am looking at having a similar structure installed but only about 12' wide. Can you share who you bought yours from?
Thanks,
Bob
Carmen214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Not worried about doing it on credit, plan it as a cash purchase this summer.

I plan on getting some solid quotes from a couple contractors local first, and go from there.

I suspect I can get this built in June....maybe get it finished by mid to late June!

My current AS will go back to the mothership in mid june, and when it all works out however that will work out, whatever I end up with will be sheltered!!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen214 View Post
Christopherb,
I live in Anacortes and am looking at having a similar structure installed but only about 12' wide. Can you share who you bought yours from?
Thanks,
Bob
You likely already know this, but backing into 12 feet wide can be really challenging OR not that bad depending on how you have to approach it.

If you have to be negotiating it turning while still going into the structure, it is far more challenging...vs. easier if it is a "straight shot".

I back onto my pad which is 14 feet, and imagining doing it with a 12 foot limit would be doable, as mine is not quite a straight shot but not too far from it.....

My crude math skills says that your trailer will be 8.5 feet wide approximately...leaving you at 12 feet a balance of 3.5 feet...divided by two, is 1.75 feet

This post is likely redundant knowledge to you, but I figured, hey why not! come back and post in this thread after you build.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
You're right about 12' being rather narrow. I'll study it more and see if I can squeak out a bit more width. The concrete pad at the end of the garage is more like 15' wide but the garage roof overhang eats into the usable "roof" space if I go with a low cost carport. I can gain width at more expense if I go a custom route which I'm still contemplating.

I'm also installing a front hitch on my TV to make it easier to maneuver going up a 8 degree driveway then turning as I reach the area behind my house. The carport will be perpendicular to the driveway but I have about 50' to get the trailer reoriented.
Carmen214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
I went with 16 wide by 36 long. Works great. Cost about $6000 for the cover installed. I upgraded to 12 gauge steel to insure it can handle the snow.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	285275Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	285276Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	285277
Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamehawkers View Post
I went with 16 wide by 36 long. Works great. Cost about $6000 for the cover installed. I upgraded to 12 gauge steel to insure it can handle the snow.Attachment 285275Attachment 285276Attachment 285277

How high is the ceiling of it? Looks tall!

Who did you get the materials from?

Old 05-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Rocklin , California
It has gables at each end to give it a more finished look. Opening is 12 feet tall. We put 3 foot sides coming down so that it is covered but you can see out the airstream windows.

Gamehawkers is offline   Reply With Quote