Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Northern VA , Virginia
City Water Inlet Pressure Release

Greetings,

We are new to Airstream and own a 2018 Flying Cloud 28RBT. We paid to have it winterized in order to learn the method of adding AF via the water pump (Camco winterization kit installed).

During the process, the tech ran us through the normal steps of evacuating all of the water in the lines and filling the lines with AF. That is, by running the pump to draw the AF from a jug and opening faucets, toilet, shower one-by-one until we saw "pink".

We have a question about the city water inlet. At the outside/external port there appears to be a valve behind the gasket and screen that when pushed releases pressure. When the tech showed us this, "pink" eventually came out through the port because of existing pressure in the line. At the time we assumed this was a normal step. After returning home, we searched but couldn't find a description of what this valve is called or purpose(s) other than releasing pressure in the line as described above for winterization.

Can anyone tell us what this valve is called so we can research its full function a bit more?

Thank you for your time and expertise.
picketoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio

That is a little spring loaded ball check. It is there to prevent house water from back feeding into the supply hose.
In other words it’s a backflow device.

But, it’s not really. Because a legal backflow device has test ports on it. They are also double checks or reduced pressure.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Northern VA , Virginia

Bigventure,

He stuck a small screwdriver in there to release the pressure so I wasn't sure if this would damage anything, which is my main concern.

I'm assuming since it is a "ball mechanism" there is a low chance of accidental damage? I wish AS had some reference diagrams in order to see how it mechanically looks so we can make sure where to push down (we assume you push down directly in the center where the ball sits?)

Thank you for your answer.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio

There is a chance of a screw driver scratching the ball. It won’t seal then.
When I winterize i blow the water system out first. A male garden hose to air compressor adapter is what you need. Attach it to this inlet.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I'm not sure if this will help but the only time we had to winterize (we've been south most winters), we used a small hand pump that connected to the city water inlet and pumped anti-freeze into the system. The other end of the pump connected to a hose inserted into a jug of anti-freeze. We used the same to pump anti-freeze into the sewer flush inlet. I believe it's a Camco product purchased at either Walmart or an RV dealer.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I use the pump to winterize with AF.
I also depress the check valve at the city water inlet. But only when there is no pressure on the system.
Turn pump off.
Open sink faucet to releive any pressure.
Close sink faucet.
Using your finger. Depress the check valve and hold it in.
Have an assistant turn the pump on just long enough to where pink runs out.
Release the check valve.
Turn the pump off.
You are done.
Don't forget the BW flush and outdoor shower if equipped.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Northern VA , Virginia
Thanks for all the input and happy travels.