Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I just emailed them a spreadsheet of the theft items with a URL pointing to each item where possible. They will handle theft either under the auto policy or under my homeowner's policy depending on which gves me the best return. I really like that they aren't dollar and dimeing me.

After over 60 years, I'm still happy with USAA.
Glad that your insurance coverage worked out well.

I don't have separate insurance on my Airstream. I know that my auto liability covers it when towing, but I was not aware that there would be coverage on it from a loss due to an accident or theft, either from my auto policy or homeowners policy.

That is great news if it is true.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I am so sorry for the damage done! We store our trailer on property we own 30 miles from here. (Barns here are full). We also let some friends store their trailers in the same shed. A few years ago we pulled our trailer out in early spring. The two others stayed. When they went to get their trailers one had been broken into. A small TV was taken, but not the remote, and the perps used towels to dry off with after they had been swimming in our pond. Since then we had the shed moved back further away from the road and put heavier door locks and metal bars on all the windows.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #43

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sorry to hear of this John. These folks were probably not pros since travel trailers tend not to be touched in our neck of the woods. Motor homes seem to be the choice of the pros and we know of one couple who had theirs broken into twice. Once at the storage facility and another time in the fenced lot at the Airstream dealer who was servicing their motor home. The pro's figure that motor homes are more beneficial due to their frequent use (they stay packed for travel), the income level of the owners (more stuff), and the abundant storage (meaning more stuff to take).

I know how well you take care of your trailer so I'm sure you are hurting about this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
So sorry to hear about this. Our old 72 was broken into. It was totaled out from the damage. At least you still have the trailer and can get it fixed. Good luck with the insurance company.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #45
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
John, that's really great to hear. I've had USAA for 46 years, and never had a single issue. When I bought my new trailer last year I insured it with them....and wouldn't you know, the third month I owned it some jealous idiot put a huge scratch -- about 25 feet long, right down my new trailer. It was just under $6,000 to have long lower panel, and lower part of my door removed and replaced. USAA was right on top of it from the first call until it was fixed.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #46
Eharv

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
John,
Mom & I are so sorry to read about your break-in. Our thoughts are with you & Kay.
TAC # NM-4
GOOD SAM CLUB Life # 4704
eharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
I am so very sorry this happened to you and your AS. Scary for this newbie who has to store ours at a storage facility. Happy to hear that USAA is taking very good care of you. Will be looking into that insurance if ours lets us down. Happy 2013!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
hooray again for USAA

Just received a call from USAA. My claim for theft for about $750 was approved. I should have only received $250 after the deductible, but USAA waived the deductible and put the entire $750 in my checking account.

I just ordered an automotive alarm system and will install it in the trailer as soon as it gets here with motion sensor and siren.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Just received a call from USAA. My claim for theft for about $750 was approved. I should have only received $250 after the deductible, but USAA waived the deductible and put the entire $750 in my checking account.

I just ordered an automotive alarm system and will install it in the trailer as soon as it gets here with motion sensor and siren.
Would love to hear about your alarm system?? Brand et al?
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #50
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Would love to hear about your alarm system?? Brand et al?
The system is by Viper. I have already arranged to write an article for Airstream Life summer 2013 issue on the installation, so no details will be posted here until the issue comes out.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Alumafiesta?

Was doing some prep-for-Alumafiesta work today and thought about your misfortune. How are the repairs coming along?
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #52
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep View Post
Was doing some prep-for-Alumafiesta work today and thought about your misfortune. How are the repairs coming along?
All fixed. We're in Van Horn, TX tonight. Planning Lordsburg, NM Sunday, night and at the rally site Monday morning. See you there.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Consider reversing the hot and neutral and removing the ground hypothetically speaking that is.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
Sorry to hear about your trailer. The same thing happen to mine while in storage in Arlington, TX only they only damaged my door. They tried to pry the lock out of the door, broke something off in the key hole, then tried to pry between the door and the jam. I had to replace the upper door skin and dead bolt. The storage yard is also totally fenced with security cameras, and they denied any fault. My insurance did cover the repair costs minus the deductible. The police finally came and made a report only after i demanded that I would need it for the insurance claim. I hope you get fixed soon and can again enjoy it.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #55
Contributing Member

At least my front window was easier to replace than a door skin.

I now have a car alarm installed. I forgot to turn it off when we went out to load for the trip. It went off when my wife closed the door. It is LOUD! I have a blinking blue light in the front, seen through the gravel guard and when I get home, I have a blinking blue light from Viper to put in the rear window. Since I'm the only one in the storage lot with an alarm, I figure that is a pretty good deterrent.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good idea about getting an alarm system.
Did you just buy a kit and install it yourself, or did you have it done at an alarm place?
I'm considering an alarm. Any suggestions, since you just went thru getting one on the trailer?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #57
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Good idea about getting an alarm system.
Did you just buy a kit and install it yourself, or did you have it done at an alarm place?
I'm considering an alarm. Any suggestions, since you just went thru getting one on the trailer?
I bought a kit and installed it myself. Details will be in an article in the summer 2013 issue of Airstream Life Magazine. I won't say more until the article comes out.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
John are you leaving you batteries hooked up all the time to run the alarm or does the alarm have it's own power supply? That sounds like a great idea, does your alarm monitor glass breakage or doors opening or both. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #59
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlying View Post
John are you leaving you batteries hooked up all the time to run the alarm or does the alarm have it's own power supply? That sounds like a great idea, does your alarm monitor glass breakage or doors opening or both. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Again. Details in the article to come. I have 30a power in storage, so battery is not critical.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
I bought a kit and installed it myself. Details will be in an article in the summer 2013 issue of Airstream Life Magazine. I won't say more until the article comes out.
Thanks John,
I'm sure it will be a good article. I"ve enjoyed reading about your other(woodworking) projects on here. Always well done!