Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Anyone using a motorized tow dolly to park?

What do you like or not like? Brands to stay away from? My trailer is a 27 ft FC FB.

Thanks,
Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

I researched this subject for quite some time about 18 months ago. I decided to go with a Power Mover AC-8.

Power Movers | MOVING MADE EASY

Model AC-8

I've been extremely happy with it. I would do it again too.

Depending upon your specific application you may find that the ball or jack mounted dollies are not very safe. In some instances the trailer can apparently tip over the dolly or "spit" it out. I didn't want to be holding onto the dolly if that ever happened. If you have a totally level surface this is less of a concern. The Power Mover bolts up to the frame of the trailer to prevent this type of accident. However, it is still quick and easy to connect and disconnect the unit from your trailer.
Glock 40 MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Thanks Glock! What do you use the AC8 to move? Also, do you find the power cord to be inconvenient to use?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ly-114581.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
Out of business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 40 MOS View Post
I researched this subject for quite some time about 18 months ago. I decided to go with a Power Mover AC-8.

Power Movers | MOVING MADE EASY

Model AC-8

I've been extremely happy with it. I would do it again too.

Depending upon your specific application you may find that the ball or jack mounted dollies are not very safe. In some instances the trailer can apparently tip over the dolly or "spit" it out. I didn't want to be holding onto the dolly if that ever happened. If you have a totally level surface this is less of a concern. The Power Mover bolts up to the frame of the trailer to prevent this type of accident. However, it is still quick and easy to connect and disconnect the unit from your trailer.
The links don’t work.......are they gone?

Any other recommendations? I have a steep driveway and fairly level parking pad up top, with an rv parking spot, but need to unhitch and maneuver our 30’er around and into the spot.
Thorpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum. FYI this thread is 6 years old.

Tow dollies: https://www.google.com/search?q=Tow+...=airforums.com
AC 8 search results: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=AC+8+power...&t=fpas&ia=web
https://kaadengineering.com/

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Not sure if Michael’s link still works?

Yes it does. Similar kaad link there.

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpflyer View Post
..... I have a steep driveway and fairly level parking pad up top, with an rv parking spot, but need to unhitch and maneuver our 30’er around and into the spot.
Hi

Just checking here ....

Which 30' AS do you have? Some are heavier than others.

I *assume* the dolly is only for use on the flat part of the drive. If not, you need something much more substantial. Even on the flat, a heavy trailer can be a bit of a struggle. ("Fairly level" can cover a lot of things .....).

I very much agree that you do *not* want to attach to the lift jack when moving the trailer. Either you want a dedicated mount or something beefy that attaches to the normal ball hitch arrangement.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
What Glock and Bob said, and shortcuts are very unwise.
You didn’t say if the dolly or trailer tires would be rolling over soft dirt or gravel… Important because trailer rolling resistance and poor dolly traction make the job much more difficult. Can you set down a board and use the “level” app on your phone to give us a better feel for the situation? Oh, and sign this liability waiver, too, right here on the dotted line…
Also, keep the breakaway pull cable at hand when in motion. It should not be part of the standard operating procedure, but in an “Oh, Shoot!” moment, it may keep the trailer out of the creek.
Respect elevation changes!!!
I never had any issues with using a power cord.
I stopped using my barely adequate dolly when my backing skills progressed to the point I could guide the trailer up a curving paver ramp to an 11 1/2 foot gap between the house and the neighbor’s fence. (Credit goes to wife for “encouragement” on the ramp improvements and for diligent backing assistance.)
Good luck!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Boulder city , Nevada
My parking pad is concrete and pavers. My new hone away from home is a 2014 30’ international serenity. Thanks
I did talk to the guy at Kaad engineering? I believe it is. It sounds like $1000 for the unit he’d recommend as long as my trailer isn’t over 7000 lbs. the next model up has two motors and is much pricier. They sound like they do a good job catered to your specific needs.
Thorpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
My parking pad is concrete and pavers. My new hone away from home is a 2014 30’ international serenity. Thanks
I did talk to the guy at Kaad engineering? I believe it is. It sounds like $1000 for the unit he’d recommend as long as my trailer isn’t over 7000 lbs. the next model up has two motors and is much pricier. They sound like they do a good job catered to your specific needs.
Hi

I think you are close enough to his limit to strongly consider the bigger unit.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
How far do you need to move your Airstream. I move my 2021 30Bunk with this… It’s called a Trailer Valet XL. I purchased mine online from Home Depot, $700ish. It’s compact & lightweight.

https://youtube.com/shorts/y74JNXBcdRE?feature=share