Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Oh no!!! I had this happen to a truck camper parked beside a barn 40 feet high with an aluminum roof. The snow PULVERISED the camper.

Good warning to everyone in snow country DO NOT park your trailer or other vehicle near a building.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
When you store a trailer outside in the snow do you eventually get leaks inside the trailer?
Vinnie.....I'm sure glad we live in Northern California!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yup.. i think we are spoiled. But i did by this cover from Shelter Logic for the sun / rain to keep it dry. Its been great because i can work on it during the winter and stay dry and not worry about cleaning up my mess until im done with the project. i can also roll down the front door and zip it to keep the critters out. It has a 7 year warranty on the rip stop fabric. i tried to get a neutral color "Tan" so it blends in somewhat to my backyard. No complaints yet. i dont think it could handle snow though. and it might be tough to climb up there to brush it off. not that we have to worry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
When you store a trailer outside in the snow do you eventually get leaks inside the trailer?
Vinnie.....I'm sure glad we live in Northern California!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	73110  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
MillValleyCa,

We have only had the trailer for two months. I would think that it should hold up to natural snow accumulation without any problem, but not like the pile that slipped off of the roof and slammed against the side. This should be the only winter that the trailer will see, as we plan to be on the road for the next couple of years.

Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post
And the snow zinged off of the roof and piled against the Airstream…..

I was in the shop readjusting the snow thrower, this seems to be the norm, as after two hours of use equals one hour of repair. The snow on the up-hill side of the shop had been hanging from the roof like a big white blanket, perhaps 4 to 5 feet down from the edge with big graceful curves, and the downhill side had not started to move at all (the Airstream side).

The shop has been in place for five winters, and the snow has always curved over the bottom edge, broke off, and fell at the side of the building. Even last year when we had three feet of snow on the roof, a new foot of snow every couple of days for three weeks, the snow always crept over the edge curling and would break off and drop to the ground next to the building.

As I was just finished with reassembling the snow blower, and zing, the snow slipped off the up-hill side of the shop. This was a horrendous noise and shook the whole building. The snow had zinged off and landed 10 to 12 feet away from the building.

I was shocked and terrified that the snow would slip on the downhill side and hit the Airstream. I immediately started work on freeing the van from the snow with the plan of creating a path to the Airstream, to pull it ahead several feet out of harms way. I dashed into the house to get the key to the van, and told my wife about the snow hazard. We walked out to survey what the perceived hazard was, and we were too late, the snow had zinged off of the roof and piled against the Airstream.

The Airstream was parked eight feet from the building, and the snow is piled against it four and five feet high in areas of the bathroom, and back to the rear bumper. I can’t tell if I have any dents yet. The snow is very dense and packed quite hard. Tomorrow I will try to free the trailer and survey the damage.

Pictures tomorrow.

Steve
Steve, any chance you were using a heater in the shop? Possibly it doesn't have an insulated ceiling or roof and the escaping heat warmed and allowed the slab on the roof to let go all at once, especially if it had been a wet snow fall that then somewhat froze before you were working in the shop?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Vlamica,

Those shelters are just fine except for snow. The neighbor had one over his tractor, and it folded in after the first 18-inch snow a few years ago.

Steve
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Motoman Don,

The heat had been on for over two weeks, high during the day and low at night. The outside temp was down to 03 with a high in the twenties. The roof has only two inches of insulation and a vapor barrier. Three foot of snow on the roof over the two weeks, and sudden quick warm outside temp, rain, and zing the snow slipped.

Steve
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
It's a little late for advice, but---
The steel building folks make some little angle goobers that screw onto the roof that are designed to grab onto snow and keep that from happening.
However, that much snow might create a problem called "roof caving in"! Saw quite a few examples of that when we lived in Minnesota.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Herrgirdner,

We call them snow brakes, and we have them on the house. They are actually angle bars that go all across the bottom of the roof on all sides. The roof pitch of the shop is so slight that the snow normaly creeps to the edge, and breaks off and falls at the side of building, as shown in reply #18.

Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Just a quick update. I ordered a new refrigerator access door from the Airstream dealer. It arrived and I installed it a few weeks ago. This is a new experience drilling out rivets and putting in new ones. One has to be careful that the parts are snugly fitting together when using the rivet tool, as they don’t pull parts together, they just fasten parts gap and all. The Stream got moved a week after the snow slipped, and this is new snow from during the last week and today the weather guy says only 1-4 inches tops from today’s storm. Having the trailer outside of the shop is actually easier to work with than if it was inside, because the trailer door would be inconvenient to get to, and the trailer would block wood storage in the shop. The dimple on the panel above the refrigerator came and went with the weather (warm and cold), and now seems to have relaxed and not show up at all. I have been making cabinet changes, but I’ll do a new thread for that.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (3).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	75516   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	75517  

Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow.. it looks great. Glad to here the aluminum sheets are forgiving. Good luck and stay warm..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote