Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 23' Flying Cloud
1999 19' Bambi
Sandia Park , New Mexico
Airstream Garage

This may be a dumb question (yes, there is such a thing) .... but I’m looking to build a garage for the airstream, can you run systems in the airstream while inside the garage. I’m excluding generators from this question.... I understand generators shouldn’t run inside enclosed living spaces but can you plug an AS into “shore power” or use propane and run the unit inside enclosed space? I tried to look up the answer but couldn’t find it as an existing thread. Thanks!
Jody505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
You’re good to run pretty much anything. Though if you’re going to run anything on propane I’d make sure there’s ventilation.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I run the AS on shore power. I don't run the LP however, UNLESS the windows of the Pole Barn and big door are open. For one thing the carbon monoxide detector may go off. So before leaving we hook up electricity and get the refrigerator cold and loaded. Then on the morning we leave we switch the refrigerator to LP. At that time I have the doors of the Pole Barn open.

I'm planning on building a new house and I'm attaching an RV garage to the 2 car garage. Will have full hookups in the garage; even a dump station that goes to the septic system. If you live in the country and you can run a dump station to your septic tank I would definitely do it. And you could probably do it if on public sewer as well. For me being able to dump at home is a big convenience.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
We built a drive thru addition on the front of our current barn. The new addition is. 30' x 48' the garage doors are 12'x 12' and our 30 ' classic fits in quite nice. The barn is 48 feet wide so there is plenty of room behind and front of it. Our ceiling rafters are 48 feet long , we don't need no Center poles. The roof pitch is 12/2 and the top of The roof line is a about 24 feet high. We chose not to sheet rock it. Open studs , roof line breathes and above garage doors breath. Last winter the concrete kept the inside from freezing . North GA . Biggest smell issue is when I drain black tank. I do run the fans then.to Air out the open attic area. We have water and 30 amp service inside. Cut a hole in side of barn with a septic drain outside the cutout cat door. For my septic hose to go thru. We can escape the house and vacation in the airstream any time. We can't get awAy.

Did not go wider than 48 so it matches original barn and 48 is pretty wide with no Center poles. So I can't leave my TV hooked up night before and close doors. Tin over wood sheating with a house wrap. So totally liveAble even in winter with doors closed.

We do have 2 carbon monoxide dectors in the area. Never no issues so far
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote