Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Winterizing - Pressure Needed To Blow Out Lines

How much in the way of PSI is needed to adequately remove/blow out any remaining water from the lines in my AS trailer. I have access to a Coleman air compressor that delivers 70-100 PSI. Will this be adequate to do the job? Thanks, AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
More than enough, you need to regulate it down to what the maximum water pressure would be, 40-45 psi or take a chance on blowing lines. More than anything you need enough volume of air to maintain this pressure for enough time to completely blow the lines.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

John:

Thanks for the info. AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
Springfield , Virginia
Air pressure for winterizing

Two questions on this subject. For those of us who do not have a compressor at home, can we visit our local gas station and use the air service available there? This is usually a free-standing metered device with air hose and schraeder fitting which allows you to pre-set a maximum tire pressure. If so, what setting should be used? 45-50 p.s.i.? Since there would be little or no backward air pressure resistance from the water lines because you would not be filling a tire, would the p.s.i. setting be meaningless? Also, if one plans to winterize by using the Airstream's 12-v water pump inlet to feed RV anti-freeze throughout the system, is it really necessary to blow out the water lines with air first?

Lew Brodsky
Springfield, VA
2001 Safari
lbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 02:32 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I will answer your second question first.

You do not need to remove all of the water from the lines to winterize with the antifreeze. You can either pur it in the tank and use the pump to displace the water, or get some fle tubing and connect it to the inlet of the pump and stick it in the jug of antifreeze and pump it thru the system.

As to the air pressure you want to limit it to 30 PSI or less. there are some flex lines in most models and you could blow one off if you get your pressure too high. The way that the gas station pumps work is that they only allow the preset pressure to go out the hose, if you have less than the preset it send more air.

I understand your question regarding no back pressure, but if you think about it the water will allow low pressure air to bypass it and could lead to damage in pipes that are low in the trailer. By allowing pressure to build and then releasing it you would force more water out ans the entire system would be pressurized and then the water would rush out.

I am a firm beliver in the aintfreeze system as I have had it done and not had any problems. The Air system works but if you miss a few tablespoons of water in a pipe somewhere it could lead to many hours of work.

BTW don't forget to also pur antifreeze into your sink traps and enough into the tanks to protect your drain valves.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I will second Brett's post. Last winter was my first as an owner, and I did the method of pulling the antifreeze into the water heater, with a tube in the bottle, and also pouring some into the tank. I let the pump do the work for me in putting it thru to the sinks and toilet and shower head. When it ran pink I shut the valve off.
My only complaint is that it took a long time to rid the water of the anti freeze odor, and yes I bought the odorless type!
In spring I put a cup of bleach into the tank, ran my motorhome around a bit, then drained and added baking soda to the final partial fill.
There are a few other winterizing methods, but this is the one listed in my airstream manual as well.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Winterizing

I run about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze through the pump. This protects the pump, accumulator tank and plumbing on the tank side of the check valve. I then use compressed air to blow all moisture from the lines. This takes a little while, working the different faucets until there is no hint of water from any of them. I use this approach because I do not have a HW tank bypass on the trailer and no stomach to alter the copper tubing to add one. Antifreeze then goes down the drain and into the tank. I leave the drain valves, water heater drain valve, fresh water tank drain valves and all faucets open. I have not had a problem is 6 years of cold Michigan winters.

Whenever I store my units between use, I open all valves and faucets. The trailer has a HW drain. The MH hot water tank drains with valves open. If I have not used the trailer for a while, it is pretty near dry when I blow the lines. The Motorhome seems to have a reservoir of water somewhere, probably the hose on the reel.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Winterizing

Jim, I'v had this Q already answered, but value your experience. What about the street side of the water pressure regulator and the piping from that to the main line?? Tom
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 08:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Tom,

My regulator has two fittings that can be removed to ensure all both chambers are dry. I no longer remove them becaue I place the air fitting on the city water inlet and blow everything clear from the city water side including the pressure regulator. Antifreeze protects the inlet hose from the fresh water tank through the pump, accumluator, to the check valve.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:06 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have a rather large dayton speed air compressor in my shop. i let it run until it reaches 40-50 psi. then i shut it off manually.
then i take a connector that i made to connect my quick connector to the city water inlet.
when i have opened the air into the trailer i go inside and open every faucet. then i restart my compessor and let it run for 5 min.
the pressure never gets above 40 psi. that way.

after that i pull the inlet to the pump and fill the entire system with anti freeze. doing all faucets and traps.(don't forget to bypass hot water heater, pull the under sink water filter and run some anti freeze through the sprinkler head for the toilet.)

i have used this system many times and never had a problem even down to -30 f .

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 05:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Winterizing

Jim, From your description of the process you use I guess you put some anti freeze in the tank and ran the pump. I used a truck tire inflator [that's all I had] from city water hose connection To blow out water, then ran anti freeze through the trailer drains ,and faucets from the inlet side of the pump . I put some a-f in the tank and opened drain to let out some a-f. I'm not sure reg. is protected. I have the two fittings on the reg. That may be the easiest way to go for me. Tom
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
DC current

I live in DC. Evacuating the system with compressed air is sufficient if you do it comprehensively.

This compressor is smaller than mine but probably OK and then you can also run tools, fill tires and have compressed air for cleaning.

https://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-BTFP...1_4_sspa&psc=1

Probably costs less than one winterize/de-winterize cycle.

I put some antifreeze in the traps for what it's worth.

I try to put enough antifreeze in the black tank to get some to the macerator.

On short trips, I still use the toilet and just flush with a little antifreeze.

For longer trips, you just hook up to water again. No need to flush and then it's another 40 minute blow out when you get home.

I also made a quick connect valve gizmo to connect to the house water.

Protag can jump in here but small amounts of water aren't an issue as long as there's a route/room for some minor expansion. That is, keep the valves and faucets open, just like you would with your garden hose bib.
Skeptics are free to add all the antifreeze they want and flush it all out later.

You just need to make sure you clear the 2 low point drains, the outside shower, the black tank flush valve and the hot water heater in addition to the two sink faucets.

I also bought this heavy socket for the fresh water tank drain plug. It actually can be used by hand without a ratchet and it will seal but you won't over torque

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	325553  
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I love gizmo's...

Your FW gizmo is much more professional looking than my MacGyver...but I have gauge.😂
POI...the 35psi is a running pressure, with LP drains and two cold water faucets open.👍

Ezzy-peezy WH drain...plastic scoop optional.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e28.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	325556   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_197e.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	325557  

Name:	product_image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	325558  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob

Looks like an ac charge gage recycled.

I have similar and one thing the gage valve combo allows is system testing for leaks using air. No messes. It’s just like new home plumbing pressure leak down testing.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob

Looks like an ac charge gage recycled.
Gary
Yep...one of the benefits of 40+years in auto service is having a 'junk' drawer in the tool box. 👍😂
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
THE DEAD HAVE RETURNED perfect for Halloween!!!

This thread is from 2002. WOW

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you use air to blow the water out, which is how I do it, don't forget to remove and drain the strainer on the input side of the water pump. Air pressure will not clear the water from it. Also, cycle the pump for a few seconds to make sure there is no water left in the pump.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #18
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Don’t forget the shower head, ask me how I know.

Naw, forget asking. You should figure it out.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
THE DEAD HAVE RETURNED perfect for Halloween!!!

This thread is from 2002. WOW

Joe D
Oh Joe, you are so rite...but realize, the subject returns every year at this time. It never dies.☠️ 😂 WOW

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Yeah but it ain’t hitches tires or tv’s so enjoy it while it’s around.