Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
Count down to retirement

2021 25' Globetrotter
2015 23' FB International
Seabeck , Washington
A new blanket (carport) for our AS

Understand that I'm going to get a difference on opinions on this one (but kind of looking forward to it!). Just poured the slab and getting ready to build a new blanket (AS-port) for our 23-FB International. Will be primarily for keeping the rain, leaves and limbs from falling on it. Not going to enclose the sides. Current plan is 12'x25' but what I am struggling with is how high to go. Don't want to build a temple, but want it to be a comfortable height to cover anything like moving from 14" to 15" or 16" tires, changing out the crank up antenna to a Omni-directional or even a SAT dish, etc.
Already over-engineered the basic structure, just need to get the height locked down.
Thanks in advance!
Seabeckpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Consider having enough clearance under the roof structure to work comfortably on the top of the Airstream.

If you have a typical peaked roof with horizontal rafters above the Airstream, consider keeping the rafters close enough to the top of the Airstream roof-mounted systems, like the air conditioner shroud, that you can use the rafters as a work platform to reach stuff on the roof easily, without having to stand on the actual Airstream roof.

Some 4x8 pieces of plywood stored in the rafters could serve as a work platform. Be sure to provide a way to secure them from moving when not in use. Then a built-in stairway into the roof structure might also be handy, instead of dealing with a ladder...

I'm assuming here that the rafters are also sized properly for a human plus tools and equipment working load...

More stuff to consider, sorry!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
the height of most airstream to top of AC is like 10 ft. I was looking at the metal garage structure that was 10 ft on sides which give a overall height of like 13 ft. in the peak.

https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com...ar-carport.htm

if you want it tall enough to work under figure some 5 ft taller which give you room to get under there and sit on roof on be on your knees on roof. I used a pad used in playrooms that fit together for use on the floor at sam or costco.
or you can get a nice commercial door mat as well..

https://www.costco.com/Guardian-EcoG....11701798.html

this is a little big but you get the idea..

good luck!!
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
A friend of mine built a pole barn for his RV.
On the sides east and west, he installed a outdoor mesh that came in 8' rolls and was 85% sun blocker. It allows the air to move, and yet keeps the sun and rain from blasting the sides. It's also cooler inside. Great idea.

I think you'll be surprised at how narrow 12' is with the AS inside.
Doors need to open, backing in needs to be flexible. 12' only leaves 16" on each side. (less if the 12' is measured to the outside of the posts.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We just finished ours and made the side walls 91/2 ft tall after measuring our trailer height. We have a peaked roof, not steep but able to shingle (as opposed to requiring roll roofing). We made curb side open the length of the awning so we could open the awning under it if we needed to dry it out after a trip. It's 12 ft wide and since we have an older trailer there's plenty of room underneath. Streetside awning can be opened also when in the port. Pictures are in the "What did you get for your trailer" thread.
The peace of mind it gives us is wonderful!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I had a car port built last year and I wish it was wider. It is 12' and is very tight using a ladder on the sides. I have 9' posts which gives me enough room to crawl around on top. If it was 14' wide, I would have ample room on the sides and more clearance on top. I have the sunblock screening on the south and west sides.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I just posted more pictures of our shelter in our Little Girl Refurb thread if you're interested.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f186...-50967-57.html

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
SteelmasterUSA

We have a http://www.steelmasterusa.com/rv-storage/ with 10’ height at the sides and 11’ at the top of the inside. It’s 14’ wide. I’ve kept it low so as not to overwhelm the neighborhood although I’ve gotten compliments on its design (like the Airstream��) If I needed to do roof top work I’d merely pull the trailer out.
(Apologies for the sidewise shot!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50278C9D-666D-43B5-ACC0-034D21762F7E.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	297508  
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
Count down to retirement

2021 25' Globetrotter
2015 23' FB International
Seabeck , Washington
Thanks for the input

Thanks all for the input! Construction in underway and I will post pictures when I wrap it up in a couple of weeks. As with most of my construction projects, I've tended to over-engineer, but here is what I ended up with:
13'X25' concrete slab. Inside space will be 12'X25'
Went with 6X6 posts (will be wrapped to match posts on home) and 6X12 side beams. 2X8 ceiling stringers and 2X8 rafters with a 2X10 ridge beam. Tossed in a 8/12 pitch on the roof with 2-foot overhangs all the way around to shed both the rain and any snow (with gutters) and that gave me plenty of room to place work walkways above the ceiling in case I need to do any work on the AS roof - plus spots to store the outdoor roll-up rugs, etc.
Will be ordering a telescoping ladder that will make access above easy to get to and will hide it in the far back corner.
Again thanks for your input. This forum is so valuable for getting all sort of information from those that know!
Seabeckpuck is offline   Reply With Quote