Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
25 FB International Winterizing

Hi,
We have a 25FB International. Trying to winterize. Drained all of the water. Blew out the system with compressor. Turned the valves. All set to pump the antifreeze. Opened the door under the closet and looked at the water pump.
Cannot figure out where to connect the hose from the antifreeze container. The nozzle closest to me just blows air out. I cannot figure out how to connect the hose to the other side of the pump. No room. Seems as if they installed the pump backwards, or I am just a dummy.
What do I do? Help me please. Cold weather 0n the way.
Thanks
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
'07 25FB , or method.

Donna,
We only use the anti-freeze for the drain system.
We start my drining the entire trailer, fresh water and black/gray. This inculdes opening the three valves under the streetside tank area, the one drain at the curbside front at the water heater. We pressurized the fresh water system from the city connection outside to about 40#s with an air compressor and open all the inside valves, inside sinks, shower and toilet flush valve. Don't forget the outside shower valves. We also pull out all kitchen and bathroom hoses and lower them to the low point. During this process we raise and lower the front hitch to the max for a few minutes at each position to make sure all fresh water is out. We finnaly add some rv anti freeze to the two sinks, the shower drain and the toilet.
The main water pump is only opened to inspect and clean the filter unit.
This has worked for us a number of years now. I always flush the toilet flush valve a number of times, clear air is the key.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Donna,

I had the same reaction when I looked at my water pump for the first time. The guys down at the Airstream dealer told me to just drain everything and blow it out. Bob has given you some great advice.

I would add, when everything is empty, run your water pump for a bit. It will pump the last bit of water out of it.

Don't forget those low point drains and take your water filter out of the faucet.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna01 View Post
Hi,
We have a 25FB International. Trying to winterize. Drained all of the water. Blew out the system with compressor. Turned the valves. All set to pump the antifreeze. Opened the door under the closet and looked at the water pump.
Cannot figure out where to connect the hose from the antifreeze container. The nozzle closest to me just blows air out. I cannot figure out how to connect the hose to the other side of the pump. No room. Seems as if they installed the pump backwards, or I am just a dummy.
What do I do? Help me please. Cold weather 0n the way.
Thanks

This answer might be a little late for you this year, but here's what I did:

Sounds like you have the same problem I had with my unit. The water pump is located under the wardrobe closet on my trailer. Airstream left a trap door on the bottom so I could reach the valve that lets water go to the outside shower, the pump is located under the closet floor, but it's not servicable unless you take the closet floor completely out.
So when I took the bottom out I used a jig saw and made a large access door over the water pump. Now I can see the water pump fliter and pump connections thru the new access opening. While I had it all out I installed a Camco kit for winterizing at the same time. Next year, all I have to do is lift the access door out and hook up the antifreeze hose to the new T fitting and let it suck the antifreeze thru the system..
This new acess hole also lets me view the pump, the pump filter and I even have enough room so I could change out the water pump when necessary thru the opening.
I made the larger access door to look just like the small one Airsteram installed, only larger..
So now I have 2 access doors on the bottom of the wardrobe closet and never have to take the whole bottom out of the closet to get at anything under there..
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote