Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Raising the front of the trailer (and the tow vehicle) high with the tongue jack is a well-known trick. Just last night, I used the same trick twice to hitch and unhitch in a two-mile move. I'll admit to being a skoshi bit lazy, even though the WD jacks on the ProPride just take a bit of wrench time to adjust the WD properly. Jacking the front up makes it super easy...

The only thing you have to look out for is raising the front of the trailer without being sure there is enough clearance at the rear.

The other minor issue is that it is a biggish strain on the jack if it is a wimpy one...but hey, if you break it, you need a new one anyway, so get a bigger, more powerful one when you get the chance, right?

Now, if you forget to raise the stabilizer jacks, you can be sure they will collapse into a pile of bent metal to protect the frame from bending...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There was a post that suggested raising the TV and TT with the TJ placed a significant load on the coupler ball catch/capture mechanism. Had not heard that before. Have not heard of a coupler component failure either. Anyone have info? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
IMHO, if simply raising the hitch and TV end of the Airstream a few inches with the tongue jack causes problems, the hitch assembly is worn and should be replaced...better to discover that while sitting still than underway, huh?

Bouncing down the road puts MUCH heavier shock loads on the hitch assembly than just raising it for a few minutes. All you do when you raise the front of the trailer is change the angle of the WD bars (the rear ends come up a few inches closer to the bottom of the A-frame, basically) to make it easy to tension them. It would be an angle that you can easily hit going over a grade transition in the pavement. The hitch ball doesn't fall out when you do that occasionally, one would hope...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There was a post that suggested raising the TV and TT with the TJ placed a significant load on the coupler ball catch/capture mechanism. Had not heard that before. Have not heard of a coupler component failure either. Anyone have info? Pat
Did this all the time with our 25' in the 90's and with the FC20 over the last few years. Compared to the up-and-down road forces on rough roads, using the tongue jack to raise the tongue enough to engage the WD is a relatively benign force IMO. I believe that this practice is a nearly-universal approach.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #25
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Steam, congrats on your new AS. Beware of “rough” as clearance is minimal with most AS trailers. Also, go down a rough washboard road long enough and the interior will come apart. Don’t ask me how I know��
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Level

Also be sure to read up on how important it is for the refrigerator to be level. I'm fairly certain one bad parking spot caused me to replace my 4 year old Dometic.

Happy Trails, Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Also be sure to read up on how important it is for the refrigerator to be level. I'm fairly certain one bad parking spot caused me to replace my 4 year old Dometic.

Happy Trails, Don
Oh yeah... 44 years of camping together brings teaching moments. Such as iceboxes don't care about level, but absorption fridges do...

Above, I might have intimated that we do rough roads. We just don't, anymore. Those campsites way back in the timber will be for others; my knees just won't take the abuse any more.

But there are some places we go where the sites aren't level from side to side, and I thank you all for the good advice about using my Lego blocks; they will be put to good use.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
I still use my Anderson levelers in conjunction with the level mate pro, great combination.
By the way, those that are Anderson haters, remember, there are a lot of people who work for that company that were not out defacing any National parks. They deserve a chance to work and earn money. Let the owners pay their fines and move on.
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote