Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Bemidji , Minnesota
Lightbulb Why Electric Jack?

I removed the electric tongue jack from my '63 Tradewind ice fishing house because here in Minnesota when it is 30-40 below zero and I am out on a frozen lake, it is always iffy that I can depend on that jack to work, though I must admit, it always has. For piece of mind, I had a 7000lb rated drop leg jack welded on. I have removed the sidewind crank handle, and replaced it with a 1/2" socket drive and I can raise and lower the tongue with my 18 volt cordless drill. I will also carry the 1/2" ratchet drive just in case I have a problem with the cordless. The point I am trying to make is that there is no need to pay the extra money for an electric tongue jack when you can use a modified drop leg jack for far less money, and you probably already have the cordless drill. Just a suggestion.
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well let's see... I just went to get my battery powered drill to do something in the house, all three batteries are dead. Power jack on my trailer will work on the trailer battery, house power or if the truck is plugged in, as well as with a manual crank handle.

If it ain't broke...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto, convenience without all the modifying of equipment. My new trailer has an electric jack. As far as I an concerned it is one option I would never do without again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
You replaced the working and historically reliable existing electric jack "just in case" and installed a manual jack you can depend on. Only to remove the manual handle from the new jack and in essence converted it to electric?

I understand the need to be prepared but most electric stab jacks can be operated manually in the event of a malfunction.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I once had a manual tongue jack on a 19.5-ft SOB. Considering that in order to properly attach the torsion bars of the weight distributing hitch you have to raise the combined weight of the trailer tongue and the rear of the TV, I'll stick with the electric jack, particularly in cold inclement weather. Been there, done that - no thanks.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
A couple months ago I removed the electric jack that came with my '10 Bambi and replaced it with a manual one for weight savings and reliability. With the electrics I had on both my trailers in the past, I ran into inconveniences occasionally - cleared a couple fuses, ran too low on battery power to operate the jack, etc. Nothing major but still inconvenient. I still have the electric in case it ever needs to go back on there but I'm pleased with the "downgrade." To each his own of course. Everyone's situation is different.
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Let me get this straight. You made an ice fishing shack out of a '63 Airstream?

Isn't that kind of like making a pig's ear out of a silk purse?
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
Let me get this straight. You made an ice fishing shack out of a '63 Airstream?

Isn't that kind of like making a pig's ear out of a silk purse?
It might be , but that is ice fishing in style
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Bemidji , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm3824 View Post
A couple months ago I removed the electric jack that came with my '10 Bambi and replaced it with a manual one for weight savings and reliability. With the electrics I had on both my trailers in the past, I ran into inconveniences occasionally - cleared a couple fuses, ran too low on battery power to operate the jack, etc. Nothing major but still inconvenient. I still have the electric in case it ever needs to go back on there but I'm pleased with the "downgrade." To each his own of course. Everyone's situation is different.
At last, some respect! Thanks. From the posts, I think a little more explanation of what I'm doing is in order. I am not RVing around in an Airstream. I acquired the '63 Tradewind from a friend who was going to restore it, but before that happened, a tree fell on it crunching the tongue end pretty badly, so he gave it to me to turn into an ice fishing house. You can see photos of it if you go to members photos and do a search for "fish house" It is a dandy fish house, sleeps 4 and has 4 holes, cooking area in rear with a dry toilet, TV, etc.. I have been using this for the past 4 ice fishing seasons on lakes in northern Minnesota. Initially we fished thru tubes from the holes in the floor down to the ice and screwed around with various attempts to skirt the trailer, but that was never satisfactory and time consuming. Now I drive it out onto the ice, drill the holes, jack it up with three welded jacks (one on the tongue, and two welded to the frame ends at the rear bumper), remove the 2 wheels and hubs by taking off the castle nuts, then lower the trailer onto inner tubes placed around each hole to approximately "6 inches above the, leaving clearance for the axel and propane lines and wheel spindles. This all takes roughly 20-30 minutes depending on ice thickness which has to be at least 15" before I will go out. By the end of the season in April it is usually nearly 4' thick. I have seen at least 2 other Airstreams that have been converted to ice fishing house. I operate those manual jacks with my cordless drill, and I sold the electric jack on this forum to a guy who was thrilled to get a classic looking jack for his restored '61 Tadewind, so everybody is happy. I suppose I could have gone with 2 more electric jacks plus the original, but I wanted something more surefire and less expensive.
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Nice work.

You have got to be one of the few Airstreamers that can't wait for sub zero weather to go camping.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey, no dissing a fellow Minnesotan, folks! We have to do something to deal with winter up here! Ice fishing in -20 degree weather is a time honored tradition, and doing it in an Airstream is definitely "styling". Good job, Vroom!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Why Electric Jack?

For me that is a very simple question. I just came in from a week long trip. It is currently 93 degrees with the humidity off the scale. Unhooking and set up was a piece of cake with my Blue Ox SwayPro hitch and a working electric jack. My old trailer had a manual jack that would have been a killer in this weather.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I disliked the electric jack so much on my last AS that I gave it to the dealer for a manual one installed. Until I can't crank a manual one anymore, I won't have one. Too many problems always at an inconvenient time. Just me, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Jim, I have LC Joint Arthritus in both my shoulders. The motions required to crank a manual jack are tremendously painful. An electric jack is literally a life saver to me and without a doubt was a requirement for my new Airstream.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
They're fun.... I can lay in my bed and push the remote to raise the head of my bed. LOL.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Jim, I have LC Joint Arthritus in both my shoulders. The motions required to crank a manual jack are tremendously painful. An electric jack is literally a life saver to me and without a doubt was a requirement for my new Airstream.
Me also, right shoulder. I took off the crank and installed an electric on my Safari a few months ago. Love it!
Sold the crank jack within a few weeks, advertised here.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
You'd miss out on the "Cool" factor for one....

Taylormade sold me on this one when he described pulling into his campsite, and stepped back to level his trailer with a beer in his hand while operating the remote.

I have one now and its pretty awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Husky-87641-El.../dp/B0063ZBXZC
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #19
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
...Too many problems always at an inconvenient time. Just me, jim

hmm, Jim,

manual jacks break, too! ask me how I know?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
My electric jack failed to operate the last time I went camping. That is a pretty helpless experience when you push the button and nothing happens ( the motor ran but the clutch prevented it from raising the trailer). I was able to use my truck jack in its place to finally raise the trailer. I decided to replace the electric jack because it was cheap ($40), is lighter and should be more reliable. If it ever gets to be a problem, I can always install an electric jack again. Hopefully that will be far down the road.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote