Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
It is an easy task.
Upon arrival
1. Level side to side (tires) because you will need the tow vehicle to get it up on blocks if necessary. Apply wheel chalks.
2. Get it off the hitch (move the tow vehicle) Level front to back.
3. Connect Electric (ref AC/Heat), then water, sewer, tv cable or satellite, water heater.
4. Let stabilizers down to avoid any shake from movement while inside.
For departure work in reverse order.

I find it important to verify that the power pedestal is wired correctly and is delivering usable voltage before performing any leveling/unhitching.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
I painted my stabilizers bright yellow so that there's a better chance of seeing them before moving the trailer in any direction.
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
For me the the stabilizers are the last thing down and the first thing up. As to leveling over the years i have become less concern about it unless it is really off then i will put boards under the tires. I only level to ensure we will not roll out of bed and to make sure I can on the stove with out the oil panning on one side.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Post your Checklists!

A Ton of great ideas you all posted! I loved reading the stories and the humility that comes with them. And the correlation to Pilots.
As a brand new Airstream owner (new to us - though I grew up with one in the 80's as a kid) I think it is easy to assume things and get complacent. I remember my Dad doing his walk arounds and checks. Wish I had his checklist.

Can I request people post their Arrival and Departure Checklists? Their Crosscheck Lists?

It would help all of us. Surely even the most experienced have something to learn from someone.

Dan
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Dan - just go to the Search box and enter "checklist". Then take your pick.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Here is my checklist, version 3 which is after six months of ownership and about 30 days traveling. Full disclosure, it is a combination of others found in the forum and online and we've added our own spin. There are two variants for arrival, depending on whether we are unhitching the TV to explore or leaving it hitched on an overnight stay. Comments and improvements for V4 are welcome.
Michael
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Checklist Solomon V3.pdf (140.5 KB, 28 views)
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Lorida , Florida
Question Oops, sat on stabilizers for an hour

First thing I did with our 2018 22’ Sport was change out the hand cranked hitch jack for an electric one. So I just jacked it up, set the front stabilizers, retracted the Jack, and changed out the jack while it was resting on the stabilizers. Was that a dumb thing to do? Seems like I didn’t do any damage - screws are not bent and don’t bind, so maybe I ducked that bullet.
Dubaigsry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Placerville , California
Yep, checklists are essential. And you have to stick to them and not simply skim them because you know you already did this or that. Has saved me a number of times already. I keep updating mine and simply take a photo of it with my iPhone off the computer screen and save those photos (separate ones for setup, departure, quick camp) in a album on the phone and use those as the checklists. Once it is absolutely final I may make them into a laminated card and put it on a neck chain like I saw a YouTuber do. Looks geeky but who cares when it can save you thousands of $ and hours of self recriminations.
Dwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Placerville , California
KPM - why worry about the steps before using jack? I haven’t worried about this. The steps seem high enough not to be an issue, but then again I have the 3” lift on mine.
Dwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Back in the day—Navy flight school days—I learned the importance of check lists: a Pre-Flight Checklist, a Landing Checklist . . . and, oh, there were quite a few more.

Just days into Airstream ownership, and thinking I knew enough to get safely underway, I raised my tongue—for purposes of hitching up—and suffered the protest of a motor under mounting stress. S - - T. Stabilizers still down.

Now, after a 7,000-mile shakedown cruise through our western states, I’ve laminated and hole-punched Pre-Flight and Landing checklists, 4 pages for the former, 3 pages for the latter. (Single space, my traveling friends.)

Concerns must first be Identified but then Prioritized. “Stabilizers Up” comes a step or two ahead of “Hitching.” Cost to me for that novice mistake? Delaminated rear flooring. Floor squeaks are now a constant reminder—use the #%#-ing check lists.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Been there too. Broke a couple of them. Had a buddy at work re-weld them and a lick of paint good as new.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I almost made that mistake early on with our Airstream. I then used one of the bright orange load leveller blocks under each stabilizer as a visual reminder. I now use the Camco bright yellow pads designed for this purpose.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
We all know this problem, so don't beat yourself up too much! In my experience, if the jacks still go up and down smoothly, are not visibly bent, and appear to be working as before, you should be fine.
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Stabilizers -- a blessing and a curse! Ours on our Sprinter chassis are computerized so they do what's necessary . . . right! One day one of them was stuck in a mud puddle with sticky clay, and when they were supposed to retract, one of them didn't. But the logic circuit told me we were good to go. Result: one very badly bent screw shaft. Luckily I was able to remove it from the vehicle.
A second caveat: they're supposed to level the vehicle automatically and prevent rocking. But on a Sprinter they're only about 36" apart. What a joke! I added a 2" square tube cross-member to my chassis frame, and installed ultra-simple, dependable, manual scissors jacks. My opinion is that salespeople are constantly persuaded into dressing up their RV with unreliable technology "because it will add to your trade-in value".
Karl Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
For me the the stabilizers are the last thing down and the first thing up. As to leveling over the years i have become less concern about it unless it is really off then i will put boards under the tires. I only level to ensure we will not roll out of bed and to make sure I can on the stove with out the oil panning on one side.
question: how do you level your AS?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
question: how do you level your AS?
First I look at site and if necessary I will put one or two boards down on one side. However to be honest I mostly eyeball it and rely on the level in the jack. For the most part that works. I do not use the stabilizers for leveling as that is not there purpose. I also do not worry about the refrigerator being level.
I also know many go to great extent to level their trailers but like I said I just don’t see the need for it to be perfectly level.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Talking Excellent advice from everyone - Can’t get past this one line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
And if you are frazzled because of events (like fire evac) or using a borrowed TV, the possibility of damage increases.

I followed a process for unhitching that leaves the shank hooked to the ball...but I was in a borrowed TV and escaping the fires in August, and was tired, so instead of taking it slow and thinking about what I was doing, pulled away and buckled the jack tube. Had to get a bottle jack at Home Depot (5 mins before closing) just to level the trailer for bed. Eeek!

So use checklists, take it slow whatever even if you think you are safe. I agree on the comment abut experienced pilots (applies nuclear plant operators, truck drivers....)
Excellent Advice from everyone! However, after reading all the entries this is what is sticking in my mind: as written - “ Had to get a bottle jack”. As read - “had to get a bottle of Jack”. As in Jack Daniels!
alumfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumfever View Post
Excellent Advice from everyone! However, after reading all the entries this is what is sticking in my mind: as written - “ Had to get a bottle jack”. As read - “had to get a bottle of Jack”. As in Jack Daniels!
That too!
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
One thing I'll do is put a label on the jack to check stabilizers....
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Prioritizing Checklist Items

Going over our FOUR page Pre-Flight Checklist, and wondering if it wasn’t a bit too much, I find but one item posted twice: Retract Stabilizer Jacks, all-caps second time.

One can “circle” inside and outside a trailer and tick off checklist items in a logical sense, the logic of walking around, and that’s fine for most items. Other items are naturally sequential and take care of themselves that way, i.e. lift trailer so hitch clears ball, THEN back tow vehicle into position. (Must admit, I’ve tapped hitch with ball more than once for misjudging hitch height.)

But there are one or two other items which absolutely must be prioritized in their sequence, such as retreating stabilizer jacks before raising trailer tongue. Since I goofed on this one, I give myself TWO checklist warnings before hitting the jack switch.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote