RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Couple 4x4's and 2x4's is all that is needed. Very low tech and scrap wood is free.
Wut he sed...
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #22

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kingwood , Texas
The Anderson leveling system seems to work pretty good for me.
Houserw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL
I have the same. Works great!
ctimberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Air pressure is impacted by temperature. I would wonder just how much your level would change between "out in the hot sun" (and at 80 degrees) down to 30 degrees at 3 AM. I also don't really see them being a whole lot easier. You still have a bunch of "stuff" to pull out and move around.

The only "easy" leveling approach seems to be the auto levelers you see on some 5th wheels and big motor homes. From chatting with folks who have them / use them .... they are far from ideal ( = they all seem to have had a few bad experiences with them ).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinin View Post
Hi all, so I have just one final question on the concept of inflatable levelers. If it rains a lot will the levelers become pool toys and send the trailer downstream? I've seen a massive barge floated off a sand bar by inflating a similar type bag under it. What's to keep the trailer from becoming the USS Airstream in prolonged rains? Great discussion, thanks for your inputs.

Happy Trails
To float you trailer the bags would need to displace 10K of water... not nearly enough volume in those bags
I would agree that the air levelling would be “bouncy”
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , ON
I love the Anderson levellers. We put them between the tires and put a level on the back bumper. My husband drives forward or back and I tell him when the trailer is level. We then take the level inside and Adjust the level front to back using the jack.
Karen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bouncing on AB's? I don't think so. 😲

One of our favorite spots is loose sand, MacGyver'd this years ago.
Plywood runner with stops for the LEGO's. KISS👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"Lego Blocks" or planks of wood are OK from a tire standpoint UNLESS you are no supporting the complete width and length of the tire contact area. If not 100% supported you can do damage to the internal structure of the tire.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
OK🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7D646A9-C3EE-49D6-BAEC-040455CE81F6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	384829  

“Change is the new normal, if nothing changes, nothing is normal, everything changes, everything is normal.”
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinin View Post
Hi all, so I have just one final question on the concept of inflatable levelers. If it rains a lot will the levelers become pool toys and send the trailer downstream? I've seen a massive barge floated off a sand bar by inflating a similar type bag under it. What's to keep the trailer from becoming the USS Airstream in prolonged rains? Great discussion, thanks for your inputs.

Happy Trails
If it floods that bad you have more problems than floating downstream.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houserw View Post
The Anderson leveling system seems to work pretty good for me.
Those air bags are interesting, but I have been using the Andersen leveling system (two leveling blocks) and I can do the leveling without the help of DW in most cases. Had to cut one of the levelers to fit it between the two wheels.

Place the levelers to fit snuggly at the back of each wheel, back up very slowly, look in the rear view mirror to see the trailer rise, stop, lock the brakes, if all is OK add shocks to both sides of the trailer to stabilize, including the two Andersen shocks under the levelers, and your done.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
I have camco blocks, I have 2X8's (15 & 24 inches) and..I have a shovel to dig a little hole for the wheel to roll into

I use any or all of these, most every time I need to level
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Been leveling trailers so long now that I do it by eyeball and confirm with a level.

Couple 4x4's and 2x4's is all that is needed. Very low tech and scrap wood is free.

Same here. Boards work well with the Safeway One-Step chocks that I use. I saw another camper put in the One-Steps and was sold on how secure it made the trailer.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I eyeball the site real good. Some times a pull it forward, or back it up, or move it over maneuver can do the trick.

I've been known to dig out a couple inches of stone, if it's rather loose, and let the tires roll down in to level it off, rather than try and raise the other side.

Otherwise, it's anderson type levelers for us Stick 'em in there, set the level, and have my wife yell when it's good.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
I go low-tech and cheep. 2x6's and a 1x6's. I have a level mounted on the front of the trailer. I take a quick glance once the trailer is on the site where I want it. I have done it long enough to guess how many boards are needed, I don't always get it right the first time, but almost always by the 2nd!
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We use 8”X8” landscaping timber 16” lg cut on a diagonal. Drive up as much as needed to provide up to 8” of leveling. If more than that, I’ll move to a different spot.
Cost = free. (Ok maybe 2-3 minutes on a bandsaw...)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #36
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Keep It Simple - Close Enough Works Well For Us

We are full-timers and are on the move most of the time. We like to setup quickly after a long day on the road. For us lego blocks and a couple common sense techniques get us to close enough without exception.
Here's how:

We do horizontal levelling first. When we park, one of us goes inside, pours a little water on the sink countertop and watches to see which way if flows and how fast. If the water doesn't move in either horizontal direction, we are done with the horizontal levelling. If it does flow, its direction and speed tell us which side to lay down the lego blocks and how high to stack them (usually just one or two high). This determination takes all of 30 seconds to complete.
Then we do the vertical levelling. We use the outside bubble level attached to the side of the trailer to get us close. Then one of us goes inside and opens the refrigerator door about half way. If it stays still, we're level vertically. If it swings one way or the other, we adjust the jack height accordingly. This takes another extra 30 seconds or so.

We've looked at other methods and more expensive levelling accessories but don't see much (if any) in the way of value-add to justify the extra time or expense. For us, our quick, simple and economical approach may not be perfect but it's good enough for us to not know that it isn't.

Cheers!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Air pressure is impacted by temperature. I would wonder just how much your level would change between "out in the hot sun" (and at 80 degrees) down to 30 degrees at 3 AM. I also don't really see them being a whole lot easier. You still have a bunch of "stuff" to pull out and move around.

The only "easy" leveling approach seems to be the auto levelers you see on some 5th wheels and big motor homes. From chatting with folks who have them / use them .... they are far from ideal ( = they all seem to have had a few bad experiences with them ).

Bob

You can figure the tire pressure to change by about 2% for each change in temperature of 10°F. I provide the mathematical proof to 3 decimals in my RV Tire Safety blog. I also have shown the temperature effect of full sun vs full shade.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Place the levelers to fit snuggly at the back of each wheel, back up very slowly, look in the rear view mirror to see the trailer rise, stop, lock the brakes, if all is OK add shocks to both sides of the trailer to stabilize, including the two Andersen shocks under the levelers, and your done.
shocks to stabilize?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Traveling to , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
I use plastic ramps for leveling, but what was a game changer for me was using Level Mate Pro. Using cell phone app, I can back up trailer to exact level side to side. Then unhitch and level end to end. No guesswork or relying on level bubble. Perfect every time.
+1 on Anderson levelers and LevelMate Pro. Easy to get perfectly level as long as slope is within max height of levelers.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Same here - LevelMatePRO makes quick work of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
+1 on Anderson levelers and LevelMate Pro. Easy to get perfectly level as long as slope is within max height of levelers.

Steve
I’m with Steve and the other poster on this one. Once we got the LevelMate Pro and Anderson blocks, it got much simpler. I watch the app on the phone and the DW slides the wedges under the blocks / tires. Done!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote