Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Time to follow my own advice.

Since the stock Attwood 4000 refused to retract a while back, and left me with the trailer connected and raised to help put the bars on. I couldn't unhook, I couldn't lower it, even with the crank, I couldn't drive away.
I ended up using the truck's bottle jack under the hitch to take the weight off the jack and it retracted. But I didn't trust it so I bought the highly regarded Husky 5000.
I put it in a couple days ago, tested it, and gave myself a pat on the back.
Yesterday, it was dead. I cut off the circuit breaker thinking the wire crimp may have been bad, nope. I pulled the wire out in the open thinking I may have crushed it accidentally with the jack stands, nope. I removed one of the bolts and reinserted it for a better ground, nope. I put the battery charger on, JIK, nope.

So today I'm off to the box store for new grade eight bolts, and I'm taking my voltmeter to meter everything, as well as my jumper cables to create a new ground path.

I did paint the area under the old jack, maybe I made the ground path worse.

I can't believe a new jack failed. I wish they'd just use two wires.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
You could always add a second wire for ground. Route it from the motor head with the power wire. If needed the box stores have a ground lug that can be frame connected.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went online for a diagram of the Husky in case I decide to open it up. The head has three phillips screws and four allen screws.
Of course, the instructions say to not attempt to take it apart. So there's no exploded diagram.

That will be a last resort. I just can't believe a brand new jack went south overnight with the power off.

Perhaps I'll consider a ground wire from a dedicated ground screw to the battery negative. A ring terminal under the star washer to the battery?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Update: I got new grade eight bolts, no joy.
I ran a dedicated ground wire from bolt to neg terminal, no joy.
I used my jumper cables and tested various points on the jack, no joy.
Even the lights didn't come on, not a flicker.

So I contacted customer service at Husky. They're fantastic.
I didn't sit on hold, and she's sending me a new jack and she sent a UPS return label so they pick up the cost of the return.
Big two thumbs up for Husky towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
You could always add a second wire for ground. Route it from the motor head with the power wire.
I took a look inside the case.
It's jam packed with components, and most sealed with silicone. You can't even see where the power enters the head, let alone reach it without major disassembly.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Sorry to hear the failure but nice response from Husky.

And maybe to the rest of the gang this is unfortunate but by using the tools available that MD was already carrying, bottle jack, wood blocks or legos and a couple of hand tools the trip wouldn’t have to be scrapped.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Sorry to hear the failure but nice response from Husky.

And maybe to the rest of the gang this is unfortunate but by using the tools available that MD was already carrying, bottle jack, wood blocks or legos and a couple of hand tools the trip wouldn’t have to be scrapped.
Exactly!
Believe me I spent a lot of time head scratching. I called friends who didn't answer, tried the hand crank.
Oddly, I was heading to the dealer to have a 90 day checkup. I called to say I was stranded and they asked about a jack, thinking I'd just remove the defective one.
That gave me the idea to use the Tundra jack which is a dinky bottle crank jack far under the back seat. The lug wrench is the crank, etc. But with four 2 x 6's under the shank, it took the weight off enough to allow the Attwood to resume operation. Of course, at the dealer (only an hour late) it worked fine.
I'll never know. It's possible I raised it enough for the weight to roll back and transfer to a side force on the post. Even with wheel chocks.
I know I couldn't budge it with the hand crank. One year old.
So, today, the trailer A-frame is sitting on jack stands awaiting the next part of the grand experiment.
And I've added a volt meter to my tool kit.