Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
salem , South Carolina
Swaybars

I have a 31' 1974 Sovereign. It hasn't been towed in years. I can't find the sway bars. Does anyone have a set to sell? Where do you all suggest I start trying to find a parts dealer that carries them?. All help is much appreciated.
chipperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey Chipperman,

Do you have the rest of the hitch? What brand is it? Kinda need to know that in order to find sway bars that might fit it. If you can post a picture or two of the rest of the hitch, I'm sure there are people here that can identify it and point you in the right direction. But be prepared - parts might not be available any more depending on what you have. So, you may be looking for a complete new hitch set up.

Chris

ps - Welcome to the forums!
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #3

1973 31' Sovereign
salem , South Carolina
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I have the hitch and the brackets. Just not the bars. Do you think a metal fabrication shop could make them? If I need a new hitch setup what is a good brand and what's a ball park price?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperman View Post
Do you think a metal fabrication shop could make them?

Doubtful. Actually, I doubt you’d find a metal fabrication shop that would even consider making them. Too many variables – weight ratings, shape, pivot points, how they connect to the hitch and trailer, etc, etc.

Your best bet would be to figure out what brand you have, and then contact the company or find a local dealer to see about getting new bars.

Quote:
If I need a new hitch setup what is a good brand and what's a ball park price?

OMG! Now you’ve done it!!!! Expect to get about 5 gazillion answers to this one, and each hitch set up is going to be the best thing ever since sliced bread!

Do a google search for “weight distributing hitch” and you’ll find the top brands out there. Expect to pay between $400 to $800 for a complete set up. Prices can vary widely depending on what you want and where you live, and if you’ll set it up yourself or not.

Also, you can search the forums for hitches, and read about the pros and cons of the different brands.

Good luck!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
How about a picture of what you have and we can go from there.

As for bars there are many used sets offered on E Bay and short of having bent the arms, which you can see before buying, or the trunnions wearing they are straight forward.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Quote:
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I have the hitch and the brackets. Just not the bars. Do you think a metal fabrication shop could make them? If I need a new hitch setup what is a good brand and what's a ball park price?

I've got an older set of bars (Reese) and the sway arms that I took off of my 69 TW when I replaced them. I started to sand blast them but decided to get a new setup instead.

One time offer, you (chipperman) can have them for the price of shipping.

If your interested send me a PM later this evening and we can make the arrangements.

A word of warning, I am a procrastinator at times, when I get around to it.

Tom
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Sway bars are like Religion

to some people. They believe theirs is the only one true way.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
chipperman

Know and understand these things:
1. Weight Distribution Spring Bars are NOT sway bars unless used in conjunction with the Reese Dual Cam Anti-Sway system (there are now knock offs available). If you don't have the saddles on both sides of the frame I recommend at least friction type anti-sway devices. They are a whole lot better than nothing.
2. There are two basic types of Weight Distribution Bars, round and square (Trunion). Post pictures of what you have and we will help you identify what you have. Also take pictures of the trailer tongue on both sides.
3. Unless you are in a big hurry ebay is a good place to look.
4. Here goes the controversial part. I have a 31 Foot Excella. It has 800 LBS of tongue weight. I use 750 lb trunion bars and am going to try some 650 lb bars to soften the shock to the trailer frame. Others prefer to go with heaver bars (1200 lb). The lighters bars allow flexing at the ball/hitch joint. I prefer less stress on the trailer frame. My preference.

Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #9

1973 31' Sovereign
salem , South Carolina
TWaugh thanks! I've got a line on a set locally. I'm going over to see them tonight. If they don't work I'd surely be interested in yours. I'm only in South Carolina so it would be well worth the shipping costs. Probably be late when I get back but will PM you and let you know.