Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Sway bars on/off

What is the easiest / quickest way to engage / disengage sway bars on Airstream hitch?
AIRSTERLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is no such thing as an "Airstream hitch". There are many different hitch manufactures and each one has a different hook up process so you need to specify which hitch you have for the best help and advice.

By Sway Bars, I also assume you mean the Weight distribution Bars that are on the hitch.

I am not trying to be fussy with my language here, but we need more information on what you have to work with.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Lazy people jack up the trailer using the electric tongue jack, with the hitch attached so there is less stress on the bars. I just use the levers that come with the hitch. It is faster.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
LOL: Maybe they are not "Lazy people". Maybe they have just found a process that works for them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
....... or don't have the muscles or want a less dangerous method. no everyone is "strong like bull" lol
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
If you choose the strongman's way be very very careful. Those bars are under considerable pressure and if you are standing to close to them you can get serioulsy hurt if they spring down to quickly and hit you. Now on the other hand, if you use the lazyman's approach and take the load off of the bars you could unhook using the bar or by hand. After seeing someone get seriously hurt I now choose the lazyman;s wat. Yes it takes longer, about ten seconds per side but I rather err on the side of safety.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question

This is a very confusing thread. I believe it is confusing because the originator has not yet specified what hitch he is referring to. Some of the replies sound like they are directed to an Equal-I-Zer hitch, but I'm not sure. Am I the only one confused?

Is there now something known as an Airstream Hitch?
Did he say something that identifies the hitch and I'm not smart enough to catch it?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is the op talking about the friction sway control that hooks onto 2 little balls, one beside the trailer ball and one on the a-frame?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Is the op talking about the friction sway control that hooks onto 2 little balls, one beside the trailer ball and one on the a-frame?
No way to tell until the OP comes back and clarifies what hitch system he is using.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
No way to tell until the OP comes back and clarifies what hitch system he is using.
Actually he is a new member and this is his second post. I do not believe he has an Airstream yet. My wild guess is that he is thinking that there is a standard hitch arrangement on an Airstream trailer. Hopefully he will come back and we will find out.

Ken
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
He's probably afraid to respond after reading these posts........ Just kidding
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
He's probably afraid to respond after reading these posts........ Just kidding
Actually it is great training. I have found that a thick skin is a great attribute to have here.

(not saying I have one, just that is a good thing to have)

Ken
Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
There is no such thing as an "Airstream hitch". There are many different hitch manufactures and each one has a different hook up process so you need to specify which hitch you have for the best help and advice.

By Sway Bars, I also assume you mean the Weight distribution Bars that are on the hitch.

I am not trying to be fussy with my language here, but we need more information on what you have to work with.
Yes, I know there's no such thing as an Airstream hitch. My point was the sway bars not the hitch. When camping with a relative with a new Airstream the sway bars were very stiff & hard to engage / disengage. I was looking for tips from seasoned Airstreamers to pass along to my relatives.
AIRSTERLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I've always used the "lazy people" method. Works great for me. Just relieves some of the tension on the bars and makes using the provided handle a bit easier. But as always... caution on the side of safety and assume there is always enough tension to cause injury should the handle/bar get away from you......steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think you mean weight bars. Latch the coupler onto the ball. Lift truck 'n' trailer with tongue jack. They go on real easy then. I usually insert the bar at the hitch head and let it dangle, then jack the truck 'n' trailer till the weight bar just slides into the tongue saddle easily. Then I put in the pins and let her down. There ya go. Easy as pie.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Less tension, saves the knee caps, OUCH!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Sway Bars

For the OP - Friction sway control bars:

The bit with the white "Draw-tite" sticker on it.

Loosen off the tension using the handle, the direction is indicated on the sticker, remove the clips from each end and simply pull from the two mounting balls. To refit, place the bar ends on the two balls, fit the clips and then tension using the handle. If the sway bar is hard to remove I can only think that you're not releasing the tension first.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
On our Equal-I-Zer brand hitch I raised the jack to relieve the tension. On our ProPride you just turn the screw jacks to loosen and they stay in place.

Depends on the brand but none are a big problem.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRSTERLING View Post
Yes, I know there's no such thing as an Airstream hitch. My point was the sway bars not the hitch. When camping with a relative with a new Airstream the sway bars were very stiff & hard to engage / disengage. I was looking for tips from seasoned Airstreamers to pass along to my relatives.
You still have to provide to the name of the hitch and/or anti sway system. They are all different. No hitch (or anti-sway system ) is provided by Airstream. The hitch is provided and chosen by the owner with in some cases recommendations from the dealer. So until you provide the manufacturer and perhaps also the model, it is not possible to provide the proper answer to your questions. The anti sway bars can be part of the hitch or separate. Some hitches have no anti sway systems. Some anti sway systems are stand alone, not part of the hitch system. If you cannot provide the name, a picture will help us identify it.

I am not trying to be confrontational. I am simply telling you what information is required to intelligently answer your questions.

Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And one system uses chains instead of bars with a totally different method of effective weight distribution and anti-sway control.