Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Stabilizer fell off

Has anybody with a late model Safari (ours is a 2006 25' Safari FB/SE) have a factory BAL stabilizer fall off? Yesterday when I was cranking up the right rear stabilizer in preparation for a short trip, the stabilizer fell off just as I had raised it fully. There was only one bolt left, just hanging, and no sign of any hardware or bolts on the outboard side of the stabilizer. And no, I have never taken off with it down, nor have I ever run over anything.

I guess I was lucky that it fell off in my driveway. Hopefully the fix is easy.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think we have had a couple posts over the years about this issue. I remember last time I had heard of this I rechecked all the hardware on mine to make sure things were still snug.

The other report we had at one time was the hinge pins falling off the segment protectors. I watch those carefully for movement.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
John, that's almost mind numbing. I've removed BAL jacks from my Argosy and it takes some doing. They should be screwed right into solid frame. Otherwise I'd wonder if somebody got carried away with the air tool. My build date was 1st week of August 2005. I'll be out to the Safari today and let you know if I see anything similar. At least you have one of the ... like a lag screw on my Argosy if you have to replace it. This makes me wonder if the holes in your frame are stripped so be wary if needing to go a size larger. Could you have your dealer do the repair? I sure would in case you have further problem with it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
John, that's almost mind numbing. I've removed BAL jacks from my Argosy and it takes some doing.
Thinking about this I think the component that we have seen the previous posts about is the actual foot or pad that is connected to the leg. Apparently some have lost that.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I found one time all my bolts were lose on the little ball. I went to the hardware store bought new ones and have no problems since..Airwrench boys might have got carried away!!!
Airboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Over torqued

Well again,

You guys got it right, the Airwrench boys at the AS factory over torqued four of the five 5/16" bolts that fastened the BAL stabilizer to the frame. All four were sheared off at the frame, and since there was no damage to the stabilizer itself (eliminating any crash or collision theory), it must be a factory boo boo.

So if you have a late model, check the bolts that fasten your stabalizer to the frame, most factory errors tend to be multiplied until such time that they fiqure out they have a gun happy bolt boy.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Well, it's a good thing it dropped off in the driveway instead of the highway.

Incidentally, had a chance to sit in an '06 Safari SE FB today. Was most impressed.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Well again,

You guys got it right, the Airwrench boys at the AS factory over torqued four of the five 5/16" bolts that fastened the BAL stabilizer to the frame. All four were sheared off at the frame, and since there was no damage to the stabilizer itself (eliminating any crash or collision theory), it must be a factory boo boo.

So if you have a late model, check the bolts that fasten your stabalizer to the frame, most factory errors tend to be multiplied until such time that they fiqure out they have a gun happy bolt boy.

John
I had my CS rear off the other day; I had to straighten the crank down rod due to damage from road debris. It was very tight; I will check the reaming 3 in the morning. Thanks for the tip.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
BAL Stabilizers

The problem I had with my stabilizers is that the locking nut on the end of the horizonal screw would come off periodically. The factory at Jackson Center solved the problem by drilling the end of the screw shaft and installing a cotter key. Subsequently I discovered that the unusual "S" shape of the flat brace bars coming off of the stabilizers was not correct, but instead, it was due to the bars having been bent from being overloaded by the PO. I don't know why the gurus at JC didn't mention this to me, but a call to BAL resulted in a quick shipment of four sets of new brace bars. Once installed, the stabilizers now work with great ease. I think that the bent bars were probably the reason for the locking nut backing off originally when raising the stabilizers. Normally it would not have met with any resistance acting to unscrew the nut - but the bent bars made the assembly work like it needed grease. Live and learn!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Exclamation How far back does problem go?

John -- Thank you so much for this thread! The failure of your B.A.L. jack certainly was dramatic enough that it couldn't be missed. Odds converged in your case to have this many bad ones on just one jack. Yes, it's got to be the 'Airwrench boys' as you say it. I really can't believe this problem is unique to 25' FB Airstreams!

My Argosy had 3 hex-washer lag screws, two outboard and one inboard (toward the midline). My '06 Safari has a four outboard and one inboard lag screw arrangement. I've got three bad screws. Two outboard lag screws on separate jacks had their heads nearly twisted off. One inboard lag screw stripped the tap in the frame and rotates freely. So it looks like one more item on the warranty work list

Cracker -- The cotter key looks to be standard issue now on these newer trailers.

Okay everyone -- It would be good to have some responses back to 2004, 2003 or wherever this takes us. This wouldn't be an item we'd suspect to go looking after. But please take a socket wrench and 1/2" head to your BAL jack bolts, torque them in just slightly and report back missing or ruined screws. Reply in this thread whether positive or negative. Thank you!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Cotter Key

Cracker -- The cotter key looks to be standard issue now on these newer trailer.

Interesting! I wonder if Jackson Center simply installed the cotter keys into "pre-existing" holes???? I virtually did everything by "feel," laying on my back, every time I replaced the nut and washer - so I would not have noticed the cotter key hole with my aging eyes. I was lucky to find the nut and washer each time they dropped off - even once or twice on a rainy morning! In defense of JC, they didn't charge me for "fixing" the stabilizers.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote