Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Servicing / Lubrication Power Jack

Hi,

I have a SuperJack by H&H (3500lb) on my 2008 A/S.

I have never lubricated it but it is sounding a little dry and scratchy for lack of a better term. It still works.

Can people advise me as to any tricks in servicing and lubricating this? Reading the manual hasn't made me feel confident that it is as simple as it should be... & I don't want to jeopardize my upcoming trip.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Take the cover off and add a little lithium grease to the gears as per the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
mccrosti,

Is that cover the little circle on top with the bubble level in it, our is it the whole plastic enclosure?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Take the cover off and add a little lithium grease to the gears as per the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Thanks.

I guess I thought that there was more to it than that. I understood that you had to resynch the gears & shaft.

Anyways, I took off the cover, smeared lithium grease on every exposed gear & put it back. It sounds properly lubed now.

Is the owner supposed to actually take the head off to lubricate the shaft as well?

I think I will stick to the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy for that part of the job.

- evan

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might also want to take the jack off the trailer, fully extend it and clean up the part that extends. i left mine dry and rubbed some silicone on it. a lot of dust/dirt tends to stick to it.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
No one really answered the OP's question. I have the VIP3000 by Barker on our A/S...which I assume is similar...and the instructions are very vague. A sticker on the unit mentions removing the head...not the cover...and lubricating, then re-syncing the unit? Has anyone ACTUALLY done this? Even the web-site for Barker left me with more questions. Thanks.
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Servicing / Lubrication Power Jack

Hi No 13,

I would be interested in more information on this too.

By lubricating the head gears under the top cover, the unit seems to be running much more quietly & smoothly than before but I expect to need to do the shaft head mechanism at some point...

- evan

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I had to remove the head from our jack because I was trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem (found and fixed it - turned out to be a bad ground.)

Because I had the head off, had to go through the synch process. The instructions in the manual were well written and it was not at all difficult. I put them in a note in my ipod/ipad
just in case I have to do it on a trip and don't have the manual with me - though I generally do!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
We must have different instructions...how about sharing? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
We must have different instructions...how about sharing? Thanks.
I didn't go back and double check the manual, but here is a copy of the instructions that I had put in my iPod a couple of years ago for emergency use!

Jack is on a 2005 Classic 30 and is the original.

Airstream Tongue Jack Re-synch.

Must be done whenever power head is removed.

Manually retract the jack screw fully, then back off one full turn of the screw.

With the powerhead still off, ground the head so it can run, and hold the switch so that the motor spins in the direction of retracting the screw. Hold it until you hit the limit switch, at which point the motor will stop.

The jack is now synchronized and you can replace the power screw.

Do so and test it.

(If you have run the motor the wrong way, the jack won't work and it will attempt to spin the powerhead! In this event, remove the powerhead again, manually reset the screw to one turn away from full retract as before, now again ground the power head casing and turn the switch to run the motor the opposite direction until once more, the limit switch is tripped (may take a few seconds or more of running) and now you can re-install the power head - should be ok this time - guess how I know!)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Brian thank you...the instructions I have was about a paragraph long. I assume all this is done while the trailer is hitched onto the back of the tow vehicle?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 13 View Post
Brian thank you...the instructions I have was about a paragraph long. I assume all this is done while the trailer is hitched onto the back of the tow vehicle?
I'm sure that would be fine.

From memory, I think the only time I did it, my trailer was in storage and I had the tongue supported on an automotive trolley jack while I was trying to figure out the problem - which in my case turned out to be nothing more than a bad ground connection.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
I was lubricating everything in preparation for a trip today. Wish my experience had been "textbook"! My Super Jack was found to well greased with lithium grease, but I don't have the gear to gear configuration, rather a plastic or nylon finger (for lack of a better term) that lays across a slotted disc that is attached to the shaft. When I pulled the motor drive off, I broke one of six solder contacts to the up and down toggle switch. Yikes! Fast simple repair but think I should stick with "if it ain't broke don't fix it." First time and last time until it locks up on me.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Sun City , Arizona
I have lubed the gears, but the jack will always go up, but intermitantly doesn't want to go down. I checked all the switch connects, they seem ok. Before I order a new switch, has anyone had this problem before?
BoeingJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Going back to my attempt several years ago, my gears were still well buttered with lithium grease so I shouldn’t have bothered. However my electric jack has alway sounded like it was grinding and sometimes clicking. Perhaps I need to extend the jack all the way up and give the teeth some grease. Why not call Airstream and inquire before moving ahead?
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote