Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Safe method to change tires?

I want to change the tires and would like some input. I have a bottle jack and know the correct placement but I am curious if there is a correct way to utilize a jack stand as a safety precaution. I would like to remove both tires (on the same side) of my 25FC to minimize trips to the tire dealer. I realize I am probably being overly cautious. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions as there is only one jack point on each side of the trailer.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

I have used this location for 17yrs on "Cloudsplitter"

POI...It's off the ground every year for Winter storage.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80F41AAE-C555-42BE-A44D-39910390A630.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	378171   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E2C6AFD-AC0B-46C2-A4CA-CC9549AE9988_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	378172  

Old 09-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I have used this location for 17yrs on "Cloudsplitter"

POI...It's off the ground every year for Winter storage.

Bob

[emoji631]

Thank you Bob.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
First, if you don't have a trailer tire changing ramp like the one in the link below, they are a great accessory to have.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of jacking up the trailer if it's not absolutely necessary but I also sympathize with your desire to minimize trips to the tire dealer by removing both wheels at a time on one side.

What I've done is to run one wheel up on the ramp, remove the second wheel, replace it with the spare, then run the spare up on the ramp to remove the first wheel. Now I have two wheels from one side to take to the tire dealer. The rest is obvious.

The trailer is very secure using this method and there are no concerns over damage if you pick the wrong jacking point.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...9771976&sr=8-3

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am a side at a time tire person. Floor jack between the tires on the axle mounting plate, a couple of jack stands and pull the two from that side. Trip to discount tire and back. Then repeat on the other side.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
I had thought about this but haven't had to try it yet. Would it be possible to run both rear wheels up on platforms to get the front wheels off the ground (much like what Mike is talking about, but two at a time), then take off the front wheels and get the tires replaced. Once done, repeat by running the front wheels up on platforms and replacing the rears.

(1) Would this work?
(2) If it would work, would it damage anything?

Rltports - thanks for opening this thread!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
I had thought about this but haven't had to try it yet. Would it be possible to run both rear wheels up on platforms to get the front wheels off the ground (much like what Mike is talking about, but two at a time), then take off the front wheels and get the tires replaced. Once done, repeat by running the front wheels up on platforms and replacing the rears.

(1) Would this work?

That would work, but I would only feel safe if i kept the trailer attached to my truck. Problem is, i need the truck to take the tires to the shop, they will not fit in the back of my wife's Mini Cooper.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:

(1) Would this work?

I have 1 axle on boards both side, taking tire off each side then take to have new mounted, then do opposite way for other 2 wheels. I block axle on boards w/semi style chock, does not damage AS in any way. I have done this way w/my other tandem axle trailers for over 50 yrs. Also had flat on road removed flat tire limped to nearest tire repair shop. My 76 AS owners manual states can run w/3 tires on ground at reduced speed w/out damage to axle or AS for short distance.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I am a side at a time tire person. Floor jack between the tires on the axle mounting plate, a couple of jack stands and pull the two from that side. Trip to discount tire and back. Then repeat on the other side.
Good advice.
Except in my case the floor jack won't fit the space between the tires, AND the fresh water drain is right where the jack wants to be.
I jacked where Robert Cross indicated, put a jack stand on the other end, and it was fine.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:

(1) Would this work?

I think that would work but the whole operation is a little trickier and now the entire trailer is off the ground on the platforms. The only thing you're really saving by doing it that way instead of one side at a time is putting on and taking off the spare a couple of times. You don't even have to torque the spare's lug nuts; just snug them up a bit in order to move the trailer a couple of feet. Just my $.02.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Westminster , Life is good in South Carolina
my recent approach: lift one axle at a time

My recent approach was to lift one axle at a time:
1) used trailer aid on one side https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T.../dp/B000I4JPZE
2) camco blocks on the other side (see photo)
3) removed tires from one axle
4) kept trailer connected to tow vehicle
5) used wife's *brand new subaru* to carefully take 2 tires at a time to the shop
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire_ramp.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	378204  
Fjord F-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
My boat trailer uses the same size wheel and tire as my AS. I use the Trailer-Aid on one side, replace one tire with the spare, then remove the other. Go to the other side and do the same thing using the boat spare tire, take all 4 AS tires to the dealer.

Since both spares were pretty old (and GYMs) I had the shop save 2 of the tires off the AS and replace both spares. Now boat and AS spares are 7 years old. The boat spare was 8 and the AS spare was OEM, so it was 13 years old. Six years is much better.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #13
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Personally I use the trailer tire changing ramp like mikeinca and carry it with me in the storage compartment.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
The Trailer Aide is the safest and best method to change a tire on any tandum axle. I keep one in my pickup to help others in trouble.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
The Trailer Aide is the safest and best method to change a tire on any tandem axle. I keep one in my pickup to help others in trouble.
When we first got our AS I was wondering about changing a tire. I looked at getting a bottle or scissor jack but saw the recommendations here in the forum for the Trailer-Aid Plus, so I bought one. It was a great piece of advice. It's so much easier using that than a jack and I think it's much safer too.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Two options...

It sounds like you are planning two trips (two wheels each trip) to the tire dealer. I see three options...

1. Tow the trailer to the tire dealer and do it in one trip.
2. Do the two fronts in one trip and the two rear in the other. A sufficient ramp on each side (typically a two or three layer stack of 2x8’s) under just one tire will lift the other tire completely.
3. Do the left and right separately. I do this with a single jack stand and a wood block. Chock the tires on the side you are Not changing. Lower the power jack to its minimum (or close to that depending on where you are parked). Put a 3,000 lbs or greater capacity jack stand under the rear jack plate with a wood block. If you’ve never used a jack stand before, you might ask someone with experience to help. The biggest mistake is trying to use one that is too short by raising it to its limit. Blocking underneath is a much safer approach to get height. Raise the nose of the trailer with the power jack. Both wheels on the jack stand side will come off the ground.

I’ve used all three methods at one time or another. #1 is safest. #3 most problematic.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
When we first got our AS I was wondering about changing a tire. I looked at getting a bottle or scissor jack but saw the recommendations here in the forum for the Trailer-Aid Plus, so I bought one. It was a great piece of advice. It's so much easier using that than a jack and I think it's much safer too.
When a single side is used, how much does the trailer "pitch" sideways when fully sitting on top of the ramp?

I don't think enough to "tip it over" but curious how much it tilts.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
I have been using this for years. Allows me to jack the trailer and support it with one unit that slides between the tires or can be placed from behind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
Maryville , Tennessee
If you remove both tires on one axle, you could overload the one axle carrying the whole weight on the trailer. Caution from a now retired Dexter employee familiar to many Airstreamers.
earljones458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #20
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Tire Dealer Installation of Trailer Tire Pressure Sensors

I just had a Tire Dealer install pressure sensors on my AS. They used two floor jacks on one side at a time, removing both tires to install the stem sensors. He used the axles as the lifting point, and it was a bit tight on the left side due to the tanks. I linked the sensors to my Sierra the following day by following the Info System's instructions to separately deflate each tire and wait for the TV horn to honk, before moving to the next tire. They only deflated by about 7 pounds each. Now I can monitor all of my tires with my Sierra while on my Airstream Adventures.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS Tire Service 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	378238  
Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote