Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Cutter Bus (Ford)
grosse pointe , Michigan
rocking and rolling

Man on man. I was doing 70 with the wind and my 1997 airstream cutter with a f-150 was rocking and rolling. What should I do to make the ride more stable at higher speeds. I was towing two wave runners while experiencing this problem. What is an air ride suspension? Does the 1997 have it? Is this part of the issue? Does it have shocks? If so how do I decide to change the shocks versus and more springs or a spring stabilizer?

Thanks

JC
cutbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Slow down...
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
What anti-sway/WD hitch are you using? How is it set up?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
70 mph

Even the slightest problem at 70 could lead to disaster.
Please slow down.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cutter - Moho Right?

The Cutter is unfortunately a "Square Box" RV - even though it says AIRSTREAM it's not as wind slippery as the classic mohos or the trailers. It has a high center of gravity and presents flat sides to the wind.

Things that can be wrong?

TIRES - inflation and age. Are the tires more than 5 years old? Even if it's just sat, the rubber ages and degrades. Are they properly inflated and balanced, one out of balance or severely underinflated tire can start "the wave" where the moho starts to behave like a horse on a merry-go-round. Bad springs or airbags can cause this too.

LOADING: If you've got too much load on one side or one corner of you moho that can also start the bouncy-bouncy ride.

SHOCKS & SPRINGS & AIRBAGS: Pleeeee-us tell me you don't have the original shocks on your 13 year old moho! Even if you only have 10K miles, the shocks will lose their seals from age rather than use.

TOWED: If you were towing wave runners, you had to be using a tow dolly. If your "drop" is wrong and the dolly is nose up or nose down rather than running level - it's set up to rock and roll. Are you sure you've got the correct size ball. I saw a man towing his new Airstream with a 2 inch ball - new ones need a 2 5/16" ball - so the thing never locked down properly. The tail won't wag the whole dog, but it can make any other small instability bigger.

Most moho's zip past my teensy trailer thinking that they're kicking sand in my face. I concur. I've only seen ONE moho lying on it's side at the bottom of a big grade with smoke rolling out. I will slow down, especially on steep downhill grades and in bad weather (including high wind). It's simply the "wimp out and live" solution.

A big moho is less stable than a semi-tractor trailer, and if you ever feel "pushed" from behind or like a cross-wind is trying to force you into an involuntary lane change your best move is to take your foot off the gas. The other stuff is also important, but not as important as respecting two things WIND and GRAVITY. If your problem got worse going downhill -- that is an indicator that (A) some kind of maintenance is overdue or (B) your macho is driving while your brain is napping.

If you simply must be a speed demon, look for empty stretches of road across level territory, good visibility and great weather. Then go like a bat for 1/2 hour, followed by a day of driving like you're chauffering Miss Daisy!

Don't let death be the first clue that you're going too fast!

Paula