Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
front royal , Virginia
power to my jack

the problem is i have none ,also to my break away brakes .all of my lights work and service brakes when on the road ,but went to replace my broken power jack with a new one .and no power to the trailer toung ,(75 ,27 overlander )tested all of the glass fuses under rear twin, wiring diagram shows radio and front vent fan on same circuit,they work fine , have power to center pin when hooked up to shore power, and the new jack has a verified good ground with a test light,note i bought the trailer in may and the power head was missing
bill long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Power jacks generaly are wire directly to the batteries since they are not an original item. If there is a wire at the jack trace it back looking for an inline fuse or brake in the wire between the jack and the batteries.

If none just install a wire. Fuse it or circuit braker it at 20 amps.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill long
the problem is i have none ,also to my break away brakes .all of my lights work and service brakes when on the road ,but went to replace my broken power jack with a new one .and no power to the trailer toung ,(75 ,27 overlander )tested all of the glass fuses under rear twin, wiring diagram shows radio and front vent fan on same circuit,they work fine , have power to center pin when hooked up to shore power, and the new jack has a verified good ground with a test light,note i bought the trailer in may and the power head was missing
The electric jack is wired to the charge line.

Plug the trailer into your tow vehicle. If the jack works, then that proves you have a blown fuse for the charge line.

That fuse should be a 50 amp, and should be located in the Univolt fuse panel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
What Howie said. There is an inline 20 amp fuse.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

When this fault occurred on my Excella, the cause was a break in the wire from the 12 volt distribution panel to the jack and breakaway switch. This wire was installed inside the A-frame box members, so the break was invisible, and a new wire could not be routed through the box members. I ran a wire from the jack and breakaway switch alongside the electrical 7-way umbilical, and continuosly taped them together. To feed the wire through the floor I removed the sofa, drilled out the pop rivets holding the inner skin panel by the distribution panel, and drilled a hole through the particle board floor and through the belly pan. I then poked a stiff wire down through the hole, taped the new wire to it, and drew it up into the trailer, placing a rubber grommet in the hole in the belly pan. I fed the wire behind the interior panel and connected it to the 12 volt distribution panel.
Nick.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
front royal , Virginia
hey thanks for all of the help i believe i can repair it now !and thanks again,bill
bill long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I know this thread is old and I hope U found your jack power problem, but if U didnt ,this is what I found. the PO of our 77 Overlander replaced the power jack with a manual, he thought the jack was bad. I found on the 12volt distrubition panel a breaker that was bad (power in ,no power Out) I'm content with the manual jack for now and wired the new fridge (which they wired direct to one battery) on the old jack cirrcut.
But that breaker was bad.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote