Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Power jack

I am trying to fix my Atwood powered jack, on my Argosy. It used to work. The power source was a wire spliced into the big multi wire cable. The wire is no longer hot.( I tested it using the chasis ground)

#1 Is it supposed to work when not hooked up to the tow vehicle?

#2 It must be after market add on. How do people power it ?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My power jack will.work when the trailer is not hooked to the tow vehicle - but there must be good batteries in the trailer....
It might working just the power cord for the trailer plugged in, but I've never tried it.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
From your description, my best guess for you is that either the trailer batteries don’t have enough charge, or you have possibly blown an in-line fuse in the power wire that supplies your jack with electricity. Typical to have the jack wired directly to the trailer batteries, *not* wired through the DC distribution sub system inside the trailer. A distant third item to check would be the wire connections, if you have a large multi wire splice there might be loss of connectivity (broken wire) at the splice point. A multi meter should help you isolate those things fairly quickly.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto . . . well said.

First guess . . . inline glass fuse somewhere.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
harrisburg , Missouri
If its aftermarket and the splice in the multi wire your talking about is the the cord out on the trailer tongue, they might have just hooked into the 12v power wire in the cord from the vehicle. In that case, yes its going to have to be plugged in. Otherwise I agree with the suggestions above.
Aaron
a duncan is offline   Reply With Quote