Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New electric jack only works occasionally

I replaced my electric jack recently and everything seemed to be working fine. Now the jack only works every now and then. I've checked the wiring and the owners manual but nothing is jumping out at me. Any ideas?
Zmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Zmod,

I'm suprised you have not had any other feed back on this yet.

I have not done this project since my original jack is still working fine.

All I can recommend to check would be the ground connection. If its grounded to the hitch with a seperate wire or through the mounting make sure to clean off any paint or other debri from the connection. You want nice shiney metal to metal contact for the ground.

Good luck
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This may match our problem. After packing for the Midwest Rally Friday morning, we were ready to hitch, only to discover our electric jack would not work. The light on the unit worked, but not the motor. Please pass on any info you find out. It may also be our answer. According to the PO, the motor to this jack was replaced just last year, so age should not be a factor. (Thank goodness these electric jacks DO work manually or we'd have missed the rally!)
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Possible Solution**

I have had problems with my jack in the past being dead whenever I tried to use it.

If you remove the top cover of the jack, you will see two switches. I think they have to do with setting the limits for the up and down movement. What I think could be happening is one of the switches may be bad or maybe just stuck. I think they can just simply get out of adjustment with the gears and cause it not to work. Perhaps Andy of Inland could elaberate more on this issue! I'm not an expert at this so just take it for what it's worth! I do know that I had problems with the ones on my jack. After I replaced one of them, it fixed the problem. The problem did return later on so I just bought a new jack. (Some other brand)

I hope this might be of some help!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote