Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Looking for advice

Time has come today to lift up and jack my trailer for a full set of new brakes and possibly drums.

It is my house at the moment so I just can't pull her out and be without her for a day even at a shop - something could go wrong or parts delayed or whatever - murphy's law in my life is prevalent.

So I know where to jack up that is not the question here.

I intend on putting her on temporary cement blocks & wood - and just want to know where would be the best points to do this.

My first thoughts are up at the A frame and just behind the rear wheels - Tandem - only 22' long so nothing mammoth here.

I am pulling off my deck about 5 feet then backing up again to give myself room to get the wheels off.

I will still be going in and out and using the trailer so I need to make sure I do this right. if she is a bit off level not a problem for a couple of days.

Any suggestions.

Picking up the parts later today - and all depends on a price for turning my drums if I will go new or not - still lots of drum just rusty from winter salt and sitting.

Brakes another story - shoes just fell off when I took one wheel and drum off - and already told the assembly was pretty corroded - so not messing about with taking apart and cleaning - start with brand new assemblies.

And I am going to do this myself. Well at least try to - I bet my first bolt I will run into issues but keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The refrig may go up a bit from being off level. I think the three point lifting points will make it a little tippy when moving around in the living room. An impact wrench can do better loosening the bolts than just pulling on them. Use a propane torch to get the penetrating oil to soak in faster.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Yeah decided I'm doing four plus the A frame stand should be fine - just four and aft of the wheels.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Our equivalent of your Harbor Freight - Princess Auto - sells backing plates loaded and the drums on deals. When they are on sale I tend to pick up a set "just for next time". Usually around $69 per side complete with bearings, on the sale days, and around $90 I think when not on sale.

On these ones there is a left and a right so if you do this with an equivalent supplier make sure you get of each.

When I added the cost of turning drums and hauling them to a shop to do that and then picking them up, and the wait time, plus the cost for shoes, new hardware and magnets buying the loaded sets just made financial sense.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Got price for complete assembly - at 37 here in Belleville and 55 for drums with bearings - so that is the route I am going.

Decided to just do one side at a time.

Got her moved off the spot completely so the owner of the park can give me some gravel and new slabs - he put me on crap slaps that are split - my trailer has never been properly levelled he said he would do it in after spring thaw but alas never happened.

Jacked her up and have block at back and two jack stands at the wheel location. I am not level front to back but that is not a biggy - fridge is a little fridge so not too concerned with that - it works wonky as it is - next big job!

Got the drums off - but when I came to the backing plates bolts are on there pretty good - rusted - so oiled them up for over night see if I can budge them in the morning.

My under belly is really BAD!!! - tons of hose connectors have come loose and apart. Part of the aluminum has corroded right off - lucky I even have an underbelly - I need clean all the rust of the frame and tanks and buy some really good rust spray paint - need to drill out a bunch of rivets that have come through the aluminum - this is going to be a busy hard week for sure and look at the dang heat!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Previous Streamer

Roswell , New Mexico
Using Cement blocks in place of jack stands.

IMHO - I have seen several cars/trucks that have used concrete blocks as jack stands and they collapsed. For safety you should use jack stands to raise your trailer off the ground.

Sorry for preaching - just concerned about your safety.
Gary
52TailGunner is offline   Reply With Quote