Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Lifting my 'Stream for the first time

Reading the various post about jacking. I am about to start with bearing, brake work. Do you recommend a ramp and do one tire at a time or will a floor jack work. If so I'm sure there are no markings on my 76 so will I be safe to use the axel mounting plates? This is my first experence in working on wheels. Gene
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi Gene,

I used a hydraulic bottle jack on the frame axle mounting plate between the two wheels. That way I could work on both wheels on one side at the same time without hooking up the tow vehicle.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
Reading the various post about jacking. I am about to start with bearing, brake work. Do you recommend a ramp and do one tire at a time or will a floor jack work. If so I'm sure there are no markings on my 76 so will I be safe to use the axel mounting plates? This is my first experence in working on wheels. Gene
There are reasons to jack up the trailer versus using a ramp, but with twin axle trailers we never use a jack unless we have two flat tires on the same side. Or we were to store the trailer "Off Axles" for an extended period of time.

With twin axles it's easier for us to roll one tire onto the Lynx Levelers and work on the elevated tire/wheel/brake. I also prefer this method as we can chock the three other tires and use the tow vehicle for added stability.

There are a few sad threads here in the archives of some members who've had the unpleasant experience of having a trailer fall off the jack, or jack stands. Either way you proceed just use reputable advice and a good dose of caution as we hate to hear of damaged trailers, or even worse flattened members.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use a bottle jack on the axle mounting plate (heavy C channel under the frame) directly between the two tires. It is ridiculously easy. Jacked this way my trailer makes absolutely no creaking or popping noises and the door opens and closes correctly. The bottle jack goes towards the box end side of the C channel and there is no deformation of the channel.

Ramping is a tool in the toolbox for certain circumstances but bottle jack under axle mounting plate is the easy way to go if the ground is solid and level. I agree it is a good idea to be capable of both ramping and jacking. I carry two bottle jacks when travelling.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had all 4 wheels off mine at the same time when I got new tires:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Please do not trust a jack. Any jack can and will fail. When it does, there is no stopping anything and stuff gets broke and people injured and killed. However you get it raised, once its off the ground get some jack stands under it. Depending on the job, 4 is a minimum with the wheels off. They are cheap at wal mart, and it'll be the best money you ever spent.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I find that using Lynx levellers and putting one wheel upon a ramp is far far less trouble - and I think safer - than messing with bottle jacks.

If you do choose to use a bottle jack for whatever reason, I would really recommend using a safety stand as well, most especially if you intend going underneath for anything.

Makes me cringe to think about anyone going under any vehicle held only by a jack!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Do you guys use ramps for bearing/brake maintenance? Lifting a wheel or two at a time and then move the trailer with tow vehicle to get at the other wheels.

Personally I can't see it or ever have ever seen it in a professional setting.

It is necessary to back up the bottle jacks with jack stands.

If someone is more comfortable with the ramps I recommend them. But the trailers can be lifted very safely with jacks.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
When I did my bearings last winter, I jacked with a bottle jack on the plates where Airstream says jack. I put a stand under the axle plates and pulled one wheel at a time. Same when I replaced the brake plates. If I get a flat or need to change one tire, I'll use a ramp.
Safety is always first.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Those spots which say "jack" are for stabilizing jacks ONLY, not for lifting. Lift only on the c-channel frame member. (and th tongue, of cours).
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I stand corrected. This is from my owner's manual.

"To CHANGE A TIRE with a jack see the label affixed to the underbelly to the rear of

the wheels. This label, says JACK with an arrow and points to a plate riveted to the
mainframe rail where the jack head must be placed. A flat tire may also be changed
without the aid of a jack. Drive the unit up on a ramp 8’ wide, 6” high, and about 3 feet
long at its base. Position the good tire on the ramp. This will raise the flat tire clear of
the ground."

I swar I read somwhere about labels indicating where to place stabilizing jacks, with a warning not to lift there. I can't find it now. My unit already had stabilizers and no such labels. Maybe they are only affixed to units which leave the plant w/o stabilizers????

I still prefer to jack on the axle flange c-channel. No twisting or popping, door still opens freely etc. Think about it....the axle area is designed for the weight of the trailer going down the road. Seems logical that that would be he most sturdy/balanced load point.

dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I have always used a 3 1/2 ton floor jack on the C channel between the tires, but I park the trailer on a 120'x60' covered concrete pad so this makes things much easier.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My stabilizing jacks were factory installed at locations other than the jacking points.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #14

Lockport , New York
I use a ramp by Trailer-Aid, works great and safer. You can only do one wheel at a time, but I like the fact you are not going to damage the trailer. I also carry it while traveling in case of a tire problem.
Lee
leyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have 2 house Screw jacks. when taking the weight off for any reason. I, just as 99% of everyone does. jack between the wheels on the axle mounting plate at the shock mount. To change a tire I use the ramp method either with available lumber or lynk blocks.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote