Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Lift Kit on 22' Sport

Just bought a 2013 22' Sport, but it rides too low to get in and out of everywhere I go without dragging the skids and the gray/black water outlet drain. I'm considering buying a #12 Torflex Lift Kit. Anyone every tried this? There's another post about it, but no one saying they've actually done it.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen5 View Post
Just bought a 2013 22' Sport, but it rides too low to get in and out of everywhere I go without dragging the skids and the gray/black water outlet drain. I'm considering buying a #12 Torflex Lift Kit. Anyone every tried this? There's another post about it, but no one saying they've actually done it.
Would also like to know if this would work for our 19 international (2013).
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
We called Dexter. They told us which kit to buy and said it will work. Since the kit is sold in a set made for a tandem axle trailer, we'll have an extra set to sell when its all said and done. We'll post an update with photos when all is said and done.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Installed the Dexter lift kit today and it worked beautifully. A breeze to install and now we are almost 3" higher than before. Here's the lift info: Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - #11 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-724-02)

I've included before and after photos plus a photo of the lift kit. You can only purchase the lift kit a package deal for a tandem axle trailer. Since my airstream only has 1 axle, I have the other 1/2 of this kit (enough for 1 axle) for sale now for $90 plus actual shipping. If anyone is interested, PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130914_131334.jpg
Views:	4678
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	195679   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130914_130839.jpg
Views:	1569
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	195680  

Name:	20130914_094321.jpg
Views:	2109
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	195681  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Carver , Massachusetts
Do you have any photos of your AS from the side with the lift installed? I've been considering a small lift like this nearly as long as I've had mine, but been afraid to make it look goofy.

Thanks.
etobolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
You will have to raise the hitch hight on your tow truck so it rides level.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Can you explain how you did this? Are there any axle alignment issues to consider? I guess you had to lift the trailer completely so as not to missalign the trailer?frame?
Thanks
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Here's the process I used to install the lift:

1. Put blocks under the stabilizers and extend them so that most of the weight is off the trailer.
2. Use 2 bottle jacks under the rear jack locations and lift the rest of the weight off the trailer.
3. Lower the rear stabilizer jacks until they touch the ground again.
4. Remove tires.
5. Loosen axle attachment hardware.
6. With a bottle jack underneath the axle, remove all the hardware off one side. On ours, there was a gas line on the driver side. Use caution with the gas line. The lift bracket can be installed without having to replace this gas line.
7. Install lift bracket, leaving hardware slightly loose.
8. Repeat for other side.

Alignment was not an issue due to the close tolerance holes on the bracket. I did pay attention to this when torqueing hardware and made sure the axle was where it should be just from a visual aspect. I plan on re-torqueing everything after a couple more trips. The entire process took about 3.5 hours.

We literally just got back from putting it in storage, so I can't readily get a side photo. What I can tell you is that you can't tell its been lifted at all. It actually looks normal now. We thought it look low before. In fact, we won't even need to change hitch heights. It still looks level, but doesn't drag when going in and out of our driveway anymore. The only other thing we've noticed is that the step to get in is a little taller than it used to be.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen5 View Post
Here's the process I used to install the lift:

1. Put blocks under the stabilizers and extend them so that most of the weight is off the trailer.
Are you saying you used the stabilizers to partially lift the trailer off the ground?
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by etobolski View Post
I've been considering a small lift like this nearly as long as I've had mine, but been afraid to make it look goofy.
Maybe we can fit some 20" rims now with spinners and low profile tires!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Here's a side photo:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130921_081123.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	196076  
Old 09-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
[QUOTE=tallen5;1354892]Here's the process I used to install the lift:

6. With a bottle jack underneath the axle, remove all the hardware off one side. On ours, there was a gas line on the driver side. Use caution with the gas line. The lift bracket can be installed without having to replace this gas line.

REF # 1 Never, ever, lift with the stabilizer jacks. If you do, you need new ones as you will break the ones you used.

REF # 6 NEVER, EVER, place any kind or type jack on the axle tube, as you can cause it to alter it's alignment.

To lift an axle into place with a jack is ok, but never lift the trailer by using the jack tube.

By the way, the axle torsion arm is parallel with the frame, wich means the rubber rods are history or that the trailer is overloaded.

The torsion arms as they go rearward, should angle downward, especially on a new trailer, about 15 degrees or so.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We had an 08 Safari Sport 22' and it dragging in the mildly sloped driveway was always a problem. After the first time, I started placing boards on the tiny dip at the end so the trailer wouldn't drag. A 3" lift would certainly have solved my problem and it's good to learn there is a product available for the lower trailers. (We traded it and now have a 30' and it doesn't drag). Congratulations Tallen5 on the completion of your project.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
I know everyone wants to see a complete side photo, I'm kicking my self for not getting one right after I did this mod. Your going to have to wait till I get it back out. Sorry. All these jack question are killing me. Put anything under it you have, it's better than being smashed dead.

UPDATE: 9-30-13
SALE PENDING ON THE REMAINING KIT PARTS.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Here's the side photo everyone has been looking for. I've now checked into shipping and it will fit in a USPS priority flat rate box for $15.30. So, the kit is now for sale for $105, which includes shipping. PM me if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131005_100143.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	197135  
Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boise , Idaho
I know this is a three year old thread but I'm wondering how life has been in your sport since putting this lift on? Any issues? I ask because I just bought a 22' sport and will re towing with a Lexus GX470 (lifted 2" and ditched the airbags in the rear) so it should be not too dissimilar to your FJ. Right now I have my WD hitch as low as I can get it but the AS sits tilted and too low in the back and everything underneath looks so perilously low. Maybe a little lift will be just what I need, especially for boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7771.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	276853  
Nothinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I've had the same questions. Let me know if you plan on moving forward. I would split the lift kit with you.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Pro install of lift kit

While visiting Los Angeles Orange County Airstream, a customer was having her trailer lift installed, due to sewer connection clearance issues.
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
[....By the way, the axle torsion arm is parallel with the frame, wich means the rubber rods are history or that the trailer is overloaded.

The torsion arms as they go rearward, should angle downward, especially on a new trailer, about 15 degrees or so.

Andy

Andy
This is not correct, Andy. The 22' Sport axle has a different angle than others. The Sport axle is horizontal when new. Dexter sells these axles with varying angles on the arms and this can be verified by checking the factory specs.

I have done this to my 22' Sport in my hangar where I have shop air and impact tools. I jacked the trailer using floor jacks at the proper points just aft of the axle. I then placed jackstands (4 of them) beneath the main frames as they run above the sheet metal. It's easy to see where.
I then lifted the axle by using floor jacks on the cast-steel torsion arms to raise it sufficiently to accomplish this task. (One must support the axle while it's disconnected and lower it to allow insertion of the new brackets.)
This job took 3 hours alone, but I had the tools to make it easy, and the impact wrench was capable of meeting the req'd torque for the bolts. No tabs or special tools were otherwise req'd.
The new height has really been helpful in rough terrain and when entering/departing some driveways. No detectable change in driving/towing characteristics.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinghead View Post
I know this is a three year old thread but I'm wondering how life has been in your sport since putting this lift on? Any issues? I ask because I just bought a 22' sport and will re towing with a Lexus GX470 (lifted 2" and ditched the airbags in the rear) so it should be not too dissimilar to your FJ. Right now I have my WD hitch as low as I can get it but the AS sits tilted and too low in the back and everything underneath looks so perilously low. Maybe a little lift will be just what I need, especially for boondocking.
I finally got around to installing my lift (and lacerating my scalp many times on the various sharp metal corners underneath th sport). Pneumatic impact gun was absolutely necessary to get the old bolts off. Also, the copper line to the outside shower was routed right through the axle mount and required some bending to get the lift bolts in place. It took longer than I planned until I got my hands on the impact wrench. Overall, not too bad. I can get in and out of the driveway without scraping and I don't need a lower hitch drop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8116.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	280547  
Nothinghead is offline   Reply With Quote