Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
McCall , Idaho
Leveling jacks vs blocks

Since I’ve been shopping for a trailer I’ve stopped and visited with owners camping near where I live. One young guy showed me how to run a slide out and how to level is trailer.

He didn’t use blocks. He attached 4 scissor jacks to the frame. He got it as level as he could in the camp site, then fine tuned it with the jacks. After adjusting fore and aft level he dropped the stabilizers.

Anyone attaching jacks to the frame for leveling?

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Airstreams are not built like other trailers. They have frames that are supported by the shell and they will flex if you try to level them with a jack. Flexing the frame can cause damage and possibly prevent you from using the door.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Not sure if I'm following what you said... Did the person to which you refer have 4 scissor jacks and 4 separate stabilizer jacks? If so, I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing and it's difficult to imagine what purpose 8 jacks serve. The scissor jacks I've seen on SOB trailers are the stabilizer jacks.

It's my understanding, on Airstreams in particular, that stabilizers are not jacks at all. Don't use them as jacks to lift the trailer in any manner. Stabilizers are put in contact with the ground and put under just a bit of a load to keep the "corners" of the trailer from bouncing when you walk from end to end and side to side. Leveling is accomplished with blocks under the appropriate tires and with the tongue jack.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
this is what we added to ours .
this almost totally reduced any lateral or front to back movement.

there are 6 bars total
each foot has one to stabilize the front to back on both sides
then there are two for left to right. it can be installed in the front or the read.

very easy to use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curb side at foot base withrear lateral stabilzer.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	355543   Click image for larger version

Name:	stabilizer front mounted.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	355544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stabilizer rear lateral mount.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	355545  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've watched the scissor jack "thing" done on "not Airstream" trailers at various campgrounds. Often it is done to a degree ( = height ) that I find a bit scary. A freestanding jack (which is how it's often done) run way up has very little ability to handle side to side forces .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
azflycaster is absolutely correct in his statement. You level by driving up on blocks then lower stabilizers to recent further movement. Using stabilizers or other Jack's to level the trailer will torque the frame and she'll whick can even make it difficult to close your door.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
What is wrong with this crazy auto correct? I think you get my drift though.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
There are several leveling systems which work great for Airstreams - stacking blocks, BeechLane Levelers are two common types. IMHO these are the best way to go ...
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Scissor jacks are designed to stabilize the trailer by placing a small load on them to keep the trailer from moving around while you walk inside. While they may exist, I have never seen them with a load capacity that would allow them to be used for "levelling".

As others have said, if these jacks are used for levelling and are not lifting either side evenly, they will cause the trailer frame to twist, resulting in permanent damage to the trailer structure at worst, and, at best, not allow the door(s) and windows to work properly.

All levelling should be done with something under the tires for side to side and the tongue jack for front to back.

JT Strongarms, like those shown above by waninae39 above, work very well to further stabilize your trailer from the shakes and giggles is can still have using just the stabilizing jacks themselves.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
-- snip -- Anyone attaching jacks to the frame for leveling?

DW
No - see comments prior. There are electric activated stabilizer jacks, but not used to level. The wheels and tongue jack are used to level an AS. It's easy .... except that not all surfaces are true in an AS. Your seats may be out of level when compared to the galley counter, refrigerator or bed. Pick what you want level and use that as a datum. We use the galley counter and consider that less than a half a bubble out of level is acceptable. Usually get to no bubble out.

This is an example of why you need to do an in-depth review of the do's, don'ts and challenges of an AS. Lots of info in the threads here. Pick a subject. Use the blue search box at the upper right and read the threads that are identified. Use several search terms to get a wider variety of associated threads. Toilet, flush, black tank, dumping, smell, odor, and chemical treatment might be examples of waste and/or plumbing issues. There are also lots of videos on You-tube that address RVing in general. All info helps.

Note - not everyone agrees with the facts of every subject. Keep an open mind as you do your research. Additionally, what works in one environment may not work in another. Expand your knowledge and the logic that applies to each question. RVing has a lot of flavors. Part of your quest is to identify what your budget and happiness can embrace and enjoy.

Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
2020 25' Globetrotter
Fayettville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
There are several leveling systems which work great for Airstreams - stacking blocks, BeechLane Levelers are two common types. IMHO these are the best way to go ...
Should I use leveler blocks such as Beechlane under each axel or is one sufficient?
Thanks
Mike1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1948 View Post
Should I use leveler blocks such as Beechlane under each axel or is one sufficient?
Thanks
Great choice with the Beech Lane ramps or similar Anderson ramps. Level and chock in one go. Use one under each axle, on the lower side of the trailer. Stacking blocks as was commonly used prior to the rams is a PITA.

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Think of the trailer as a tripod: 1) tonque, left wheels, and right wheels.

First thing to do is to level the trailer side to side. Again, use the ramps on both axles on the side of the trailer that is lower.

Then use the tongue jack to level things front to back.

Use an electric drill to set the stabilizers down.

Optionally, use an x-chock on the trailer tires to get more front to back stability.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use the level mate app

its blue-tooth to the phone
First thing to do is to level the trailer side to side while in the TV. using leveling block on the low side
After we disconnected from the TV, we level front to back

again with the level mate app
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we use the level mate app

its blue-tooth to the phone
First thing to do is to level the trailer side to side while in the TV. using leveling block on the low side
After we disconnected from the TV, we level front to back

again with the level mate app
We follow the same routine, but with a hand held level.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote