Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Leveling Jack Question

We have a little issue with one of our leveling jacks.
Can this be fixed or we need a new one?
I was thinking on cutting the bolts and taking a good pair of brackets and a welding shop should be able to get them aligned.
Or can we just we the brackets somewhere?
Any inputs?
Thanks Again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	145255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	145256  

2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Personally, I would just replace them. You could attempt to bend them all straight, but the metal will be weakened and they will never have their original strength.

I had 2 like that and I replaced all 4 in about an hour, give or take.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Where to get them

Hi Buttercup.
Thanks for the fast response.
Where did you get them?
Thanks again
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
For the effort you'll spend repairing it you'd likely be better off going the replacement route as Buttercup indicates. You may be able to find them locally at an RV dealer, or you can order them on line.

Here are few likely sources.

Out-of-Doors Mart MORE Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!!! And we accept PayPal.

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
These aren't leveling jacks - there's only one of those on a TT and it's at the hitch.

These are stabilizing jacks and should not be used to support any weight. The bent struts indicate they were misused.

straightening the struts and doing a re-furb job can be a good hobby but, as noted above, probably isn't cost effective depending upon the value of your time.

Usually what happens to these things is that folks forget to raise them before taking off. That gets them bent sideways and can be a bit tougher to get straight.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
As long as the main beam and arm's are not tweeked to badly, you CAN repair them. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have spare time and are lookin for a project (or just a cheap-o like me )

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109/a-63-overlander-followed-us-home-71609-9.html#post972210

And once straightened and painted

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109/a-63-overlander-followed-us-home-71609-10.html#post976784
Finally, installed
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1007792

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
I would replace, I just got a set from Inland and they are nice! Hole pattern was a little off but it was easy to re-drill. Just be sure you line up the inside bolt holes, I put a bolt through the old and the new jack. Then I marked were the outside pair of new holes should be. I painted the new holes for a little rust protection.
captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
I would replace, I just got a set from Inland and they are nice! Hole pattern was a little off but it was easy to re-drill. Just be sure you line up the inside bolt holes, I put a bolt through the old and the new jack. Then I marked were the outside pair of new holes should be. I painted the new holes for a little rust protection.
>
>
Some pics (I think...)Click image for larger version

Name:	Support jack fix (3).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	145272

Name:	Support jack fix (4).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	145273

Name:	Support jack fix (5).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	145274
Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
These aren't leveling jacks - there's only one of those on a TT and it's at the hitch.

These are stabilizing jacks and should not be used to support any weight. The bent struts indicate they were misused.

...<snip>...
Thanks, Bryan...I thought this was well worth emphasizing...too many folks think these are meant for leveling a rig..they are only meant to be used to stabilize the rig and keep it from "rocking" when you move around inside...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Good Point TB! I hear leveling used so often in place of stabilizing jack I didn't even catch it in original post, and that does indeed look like a possible 'overload' situation rather than a "Honey, did you raise the jack on your side of the trailer before we pulled out?" situation the P.O.'s seemed to have had.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I found some small (1" x 8") bright red heavy nylon key fob tags that say "Remove Before Flight" at the local Air Force Base Exchange store. Miniatures of the tags that we used on aircraft landing gear locking pins when in the Navy.

I put these on the four stabilizers and the front leveler jack, and on the scissor chocks at the tires. Last thing before I pull away from the campsite is a walk around to ensure these have been raised and removed, along with service connections. If you forget, the red tags are an obvious reminder.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Oh, Doug
would that I had read your post today. Yep, two long scrape marks down the driveway, two bent rear stabilizers. Poop.

I was distracted from my normal hitchup routine, and just forgot them. And then I didn't perform the full walkaround. Poop poop.

These were already bent once by the po, and I muscled them back into working order on the garage vice. Time for new stabilizers, I think. And these will have some fancy reminder system like you suggest.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
John, ouch! I turned up some sod with my front jack once, even with a check list, and that prompted me to try to find a physical reminder. I'm thinking of replacing the check list altogether with this sort of thing, but that may get a little goofy looking. The little red tags on the stabilizers/jack look fine. We'll see.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
I realize this is an old thread but just wanted to share my experience. My trailer had all 4 stabilizers looking like the one pictured. I priced new ones and decided I was not willing to pay $150 a peice to repair some bent metal so I fixed them. Pulled them off (broke a couple mounting bolts in the process too), I took them apart and straightened out all the bent bars. Some of them were twisted os far off to the side they bent up the top track but I managed to straighten them as well. I then welded some 1/2" square tube to the flat bars so they wont bend again. As already mentioned once these things get bent and straightened out they may bend easily again. So reinforcing them with square tube is a huge help. I then took them to work and sand blasted them back to bare metal. then sprayed them with cold galvanizing paint then top coated with several coats of black. greased the threaded rod and bolted them back up. They are as good as new now. You need to be careful on how the bent bars are straightened. If the flat bars are not bent back to the correct dimmensions they will cause the stabilizer down bar to misalign in the top channel when it is cranked back up. If its off to one side or the other it will catch in the channel and bend that as well if forced up. I just had to play with the alignment a bit on each one. The first one I took apart and back together probably 15 times to get it right.

Doing this took me about 5/6 hrs of work total but IMO well woth the $600 savings. I also fortunately have some minor fabricating skills, a welder and a sand blasting cabinet. Having to pay for what I did would probably cost more then new ones but they can be fixed. If you have some fabricating skils and a small wire welder you can fix them.

I assume they were either left in the down position and someone pulled away or tried to actually level the trailer with them. As already stated actually leveling the trailer with them will probably damage them.
excellaf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1978 31' Sovereign
Akron , Indiana
I know this is an old thread but...

I need help. I purchased a 72 safari that came with 3 stabilizers. All of them were removed and inside the camper when I got it.

One set was mounted to a long metal piece. And the other is just by itself. No long metal channel.

My question
Do I need he long meta channel along with a another jack or can I just buy another jack?
Thanks
dwhitake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Three external walk arounds before movement is my procedure. Some may feel this is overkill. But it has been sometime since I have had a mishap when pulling away.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitake View Post
I need help. I purchased a 72 safari that came with 3 stabilizers. All of them were removed and inside the camper when I got it.

One set was mounted to a long metal piece. And the other is just by itself. No long metal channel.

My question
Do I need he long meta channel along with a another jack or can I just buy another jack?
Thanks
That channel is not used on Airstreams as they come from the factory. Though, you can use the channel or you can mount the individual stabilizers to the frame of the trailer. The reason for the channel is for trailers that do not have attachment points like the cross members in the Airstream frame or the cross member is not at the correct location.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote