Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Leveling FC25FB

Been at it around 6 months and still can't seem to figure out a routine for the whole leveling thing.

1st- I start with front to back
2nd- We do side to side

If we don't get it just right the door wont close properly. That's kinda of the tell.

I am checking this with a level and although things appear level, we still have a few cabinets and drawers that just wont close correctly. We also use the stabilizers to stop the trailer from flexing as we walk around.

Any ideas?
hdeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, switch the order

we use LEVEL MATE PRO. it sites inside the trailer and talk to your phone with Bluetooth.

when we get on site, the unit starts up and i use the TV and the red ramps to get L-R level. then i disconnect and park the vehicle.

next i level the unit F-B still using LEVEL mate.

then i lock down my stabilizers and lock the SIX JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizer system
they work great to prevent any rock and roll inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stablizer.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	381446  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Side to side first..every time..if not level..put stackable blocks down...now it is level..side to side... install X chocks on both sides.....unhook...Run electric jack up or down...you got it...then drop stabilizers..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeitz View Post
Been at it around 6 months and still can't seem to figure out a routine for the whole leveling thing.

1st- I start with front to back
2nd- We do side to side

If we don't get it just right the door wont close properly. That's kinda of the tell.

I am checking this with a level and although things appear level, we still have a few cabinets and drawers that just wont close correctly. We also use the stabilizers to stop the trailer from flexing as we walk around.

Any ideas?
...nope...side to side first...the front to back...real easy
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
First, I’d get a large level that mounts to your trailer just below the front window and is viewable in your inside rear view mirror.

Wheel Masters makes a nice one.

Then, acquire a set of those ramp style levelers. there are now several Better alternatives to these “Anderson style” levelers on Amazon.

The process...pull or back into your site. When “in the ballpark” on an irregular surface, check your level in the rear view. Sometimes you get lucky and a few feet back or forward will get you level side to side. If not, deploy your levelers on the low side , pull or back onto them watching the level. When level, apply the park brake until you (or your spotter) places the smaller triangular piece as a chock.

Now you can unhitch and use the tongue jack to level front to back. There Is a front/ back bubble level on the Wheel Master and many tongue jacks have one.

There are lots of other gadgets you could use but that is the sequence. Side to side first, then front to back.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeitz View Post

Any ideas?
For the door you might be using the stabilizers as leveling tools and that is pushing the door area up and making it hard to close. As others correctly pointed out level first then stabilize. Mine is a 30' and I lower the stabilizer and when it takes a load, done.

If you feel the trailer moving front to back take a look at your chock system is it really blocking front to back or consider X chocks.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
As others have said, you should switch your order. level left-right first, then front-back.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We have been Airstreaming for a long time, 2,180 nights over 14 years. We pull into a campsite, put our level on Lucy's rear bumper. We use lego blocks to level side-to-side. We then unhook Lucy from the tow vehicle. We put the level on the side belt line and level front-to-back with the tongue jack. This works every time.

Reading the OP's post, I get the impression that he may be doing his his to side leveling with the stabilizer jacks which is causing his door problem. Saying that he is leveling front-to-back first makes me think that he is unhooking first and therefore he cannot level side-to-side except by trying to use the stabilizers. This will torque the trailer causing all kinds of alignment problems.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
if you level L-R with the AS jack, they will eventually fail and collapse.

they are NOT levelling jacks, they are meant for stability.

Do as others have stated and use tire leveling block or ramps when the As is connected to the TV.

Then disconnect and do F-B using the jack
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote