Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
Levelers/Chocks?

Another newbie question:
Iím trying to gather camping accessories which are made in the US, or not made in China, and found the Tri-Lynx with a discount code.
From what Iíve read, at least one (1) tire of the FC should rest on the ground. (Makes sense).
1) Do you place these blocks under the jack(s)or under your tire(s) or both?
2) What do you use between your blocks and ground/blocks and jack to help prevent the plastic from chipping/breaking?
3) How many tire chocks do I need? (I figured at least two (2) for the tire left on the ground).
Thanks.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
1. I use mine under the tires, stabilizing jacks, and the front jack.

2. I have never used anything between the blocks and the ground and I have never had one break in over 10 years of use. I suppose you could put a 2x6 on the ground between the front jack foot and the leveling block(s) if you were concerned about that.

3. I have 4 tire chocks, 2 for each side, 1 in front of and 1 behind the rear tire.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
Another newbie question:
I’m trying to gather camping accessories which are made in the US, or not made in China, and found the Tri-Lynx with a discount code.
From what I’ve read, at least one (1) tire of the FC should rest on the ground. (Makes sense).
1) Do you place these blocks under the jack(s)or under your tire(s) or both?
2) What do you use between your blocks and ground/blocks and jack to help prevent the plastic from chipping/breaking?
3) How many tire chocks do I need? (I figured at least two (2) for the tire left on the ground).
Thanks.
We typically use the leggo blocks under the down side tires, but getting a chock in there is not dooable on the blocked side, so we were/are using sizzor chocks between the wheels. These can slip if tires are wet so they have to be cranked tight, and if your still on a steep slope, they can still allow the tire to slip; (happened to us in Tetons couple years back during rain...not pretty watching your rig slide backwards off the front jack block...then jacking it up to get it back on the ball so you can reposition.)

This past year, we made the switch to the Camco levelers...they are shorter then other brands, but work well. Wife loves them over the leggos now...
Camco 44423 RV Curved Leveler with Chock
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We typically use the leggo blocks under the down side tires, but getting a chock in there is not dooable on the blocked side, so we were/are using sizzor chocks between the wheels. These can slip if tires are wet so they have to be cranked tight, and if your still on a steep slope, they can still allow the tire to slip; (happened to us in Tetons couple years back during rain...not pretty watching your rig slide backwards off the front jack block...then jacking it up to get it back on the ball so you can reposition.)

This past year, we made the switch to the Camco levelers...they are shorter then other brands, but work well. Wife loves them over the leggos now...
Camco 44423 RV Curved Leveler with Chock
I've used these with the Bal scissor chock, place and tighten securely. SFSG.

I also made a 'pad platform' for the Lego's, to space them properly and keep from moving. Very helpful on sandy/soft ground.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F3C9D34-ADED-461E-BCDD-38F06678C6AD_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	743.4 KB
ID:	406756  

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to íStarbucksÖI make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First step is to check the campsite ahead of using it. If the slope is insane, find another site. I've seen people do *really* nutty things trying to get their RV level. The crazier you get the more impossible keeping things in place will be.

You have *tons* of trailer to deal with. That's a lot. Then toss in wind and the numbers go up. Now get the ground wet from a bunch of rain. Yes, I am trying to paint a picture here.

If you have a dual axle trailer, the various "clamp gizmos" that go between the tires are a good thing to have. The help with the "rock and roll" as you move in the trailer along with keeping it from rolling. They are only just so strong so there is a point they will need help.

If you go with wedge gizmos under the wheels, understand that they need to stay tight. Just setting them there isn't enough. They can and do slide if not properly placed.

Simple answer is not so simple: You likely need multiple bits and pieces to deal with the variety of situations you will find yourself in. We carry a lot of lego blocks. We have X Chocks for the wheels *and* wedges. Other than the X Chocks, we have spares along for everything ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use hard rubber chocks that are used for semi trailers, if have to use 2/8 under tires to level side to side I place chocks on opposite side of boards, this type of chock will not slip,or slide, if you forget to pick up and try to pull trailer will not budge, WILL NOT SLIDE EVEN IF WET, plus they do cost like some other types on market.One draw back they are a little heavy. I use ones that each end long chained together makes easier to pull out, pick up, or drag, no hassle just drop and place.
featherbedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
On the low side we use Anderson Levelers. They pretty much act as a chock on that side.

On the side which is still on the ground we use One Step chocks.

I'm not a fan of the X-chocks, as they seem to put sideways pressure on the axles and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. That, combined with the fact that they'll be useless if a tire goes flat made me choose the One Step instead.

Under the tongue jack we use a red cone-shaped stand like this one: https://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?...761t17gu3uf6g0

To me the cone support is helpful as it limits the amount of travel needed for the jack which speeds up the setup.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I use hard rubber chocks that are used for semi trailers, if have to use 2/8 under tires to level side to side I place chocks on opposite side of boards, this type of chock will not slip,or slide, if you forget to pick up and try to pull trailer will not budge, WILL NOT SLIDE EVEN IF WET, plus they do cost like some other types on market.One draw back they are a little heavy. I use ones that each end long chained together makes easier to pull out, pick up, or drag, no hassle just drop and place.
Pics or links??
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
ROBERT CROSS:
I like your support pad under the levelers. What is the material ?

Richard5933:
Iím going to order one of those cone tongue supports. That is a good idea. You mentioned your concern with the X-chocks pushing the axles apart. Any posts/talk from someone having this issue? I like how it was explained earlier how it keeps the AS from rolling back and forth. This could really help on certain occasions when the wife feels frisky. (Can I say that on here)?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
ROBERT CROSS:
I like your support pad under the levelers. What is the material ?

Richard5933:
Iím going to order one of those cone tongue supports. That is a good idea. You mentioned your concern with the X-chocks pushing the axles apart. Any posts/talk from someone having this issue? I like how it was explained earlier how it keeps the AS from rolling back and forth. This could really help on certain occasions when the wife feels frisky. (Can I say that on here)?

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, they are two 3/4" thick painted ply boards, each about 3' long with a stop screw'd where they overlap and join and and another stop about 3" from the end. Spacing is center to center of the wheels to the center of the lego blocks.
Nice thing is you can ramp the lego's up on the long end and still have the center to center spacing no matter how high the lego stack. POI I NEVER stack higher than 3 + the board.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to íStarbucksÖI make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
Old 10-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
On the low side we use Anderson Levelers. They pretty much act as a chock on that side.

On the side which is still on the ground we use One Step chocks.

I'm not a fan of the X-chocks, as they seem to put sideways pressure on the axles and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. That, combined with the fact that they'll be useless if a tire goes flat made me choose the One Step instead.

Under the tongue jack we use a red cone-shaped stand like this one: https://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?...761t17gu3uf6g0

To me the cone support is helpful as it limits the amount of travel needed for the jack which speeds up the setup.
Hi

We tried the one step gizmos for a while. Eventually adjusting them each time you put them down became more of a pain than it was worth. On the surfaces we camp on, they really did not hold unless you "tweaked" them each time ....

Bob
Old 10-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We tried the one step gizmos for a while. Eventually adjusting them each time you put them down became more of a pain than it was worth. On the surfaces we camp on, they really did not hold unless you "tweaked" them each time ....

Bob
Not sure what needed to be adjusted each time. Once I got ours set up for the distance between the two tires they've just worked each time. The idea is not to get it under the tire, just firmly against it.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
ROBERT CROSS:

Richard5933:

... You mentioned your concern with the X-chocks pushing the axles apart. Any posts/talk from someone having this issue?.. .
Even if the issue of sideways pressure is not of concern, there is still the question of how well X-chocks work if a tire goes flat while parked. That does happen.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I've used these with the Bal scissor chock, place and tighten securely. SFSG.

I also made a 'pad platform' for the Lego's, to space them properly and keep from moving. Very helpful on sandy/soft ground.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Again, those X-chocks can slip if your tires are wet; mine do not have "nubs" on them so no actual grip on the rubber tires, other than the tension of tightening...which, on wet rubber, can still slip...happened to me. When on the leggo blocks, how do you get a v-shaped chock under the wheel? Not doable with most chocks when using the leggos...not saying there isn't a way to chock when using leggos, just not something I have been able to do. The Anderson type chocks solve this problem, IMHO...you roll back onto the curved leveling chock, and insert the other chock so tires don't roll.

At Alumalina 5 years ago, it was held at a Palmento Cove (NC) there was a side ways slope they were parking many of us on...again, grass was wet, and when we "chocked" our wheels and adjusted the downside to be level using the leggo blocks, as soon we disconnected from the ball, the jack stand foot started to slip off the 8x8 block...sideways...we were able to get back on the ball, and relocate to a flatter spot. Saw another ASer who had same problem little while later...Point is, slipping can happen when there is wet surfaces...pays to be aware...S happens!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Again, those X-chocks can slip if your tires are wet; mine do not have "nubs" on them so no actual grip on the rubber tires, other than the tension of tightening...which, on wet rubber, can still slip...happened to me. When on the leggo blocks, how do you get a v-shaped chock under the wheel? Not doable with most chocks when using the leggos...not saying there isn't a way to chock when using leggos, just not something I have been able to do. The Anderson type chocks solve this problem, IMHO...you roll back onto the curved leveling chock, and insert the other chock so tires don't roll.

At Alumalina 5 years ago, it was held at a Palmento Cove (NC) there was a side ways slope they were parking many of us on...again, grass was wet, and when we "chocked" our wheels and adjusted the downside to be level using the leggo blocks, as soon we disconnected from the ball, the jack stand foot started to slip off the 8x8 block...sideways...we were able to get back on the ball, and relocate to a flatter spot. Saw another ASer who had same problem little while later...Point is, slipping can happen when there is wet surfaces...pays to be aware...S happens!
Well, it's never happend to us, I guess if we were parked in such a precarious area we would chock with our MacGyver pads on the X'ers and stay hooked up.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

RLC
Old 10-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Sulverdale , Washington
This thread is super helpful for soon to be airstreamers!! Following.
Fox-trot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Even if the issue of sideways pressure is not of concern, there is still the question of how well X-chocks work if a tire goes flat while parked. That does happen.
Hi

If you have a tire go flat while parked, *all* of these setups will get a bit weird. With the X chocks, you always have the one on the other side of the trailer.

If you are camping on heavy grass one day, concrete the next and soft sand the day after that ... you adjust the One Step things every time.

Bob
Old 10-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Just good to see actual experiences so you can perhaps stay ahead if issues in certain environments...Forum is great experience ce!
Old 10-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The information from BAL states that the X-Chocks are installed after unhooking. This implies that some other type of wheel chock must also be used in conjunction with them. I've also seen reviews elsewhere that emphasize that the X-Chocks are intended to stabilize the trailer, not to secure a trailer in place without other chocks.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
GAINESVILLE , GA
Assuming you have a set of scissor chocks, one on each side: from what you guys are telling me, in a worst case scenario, where you have three tires needing a lift, you chock the one that doesnít and then use the the blocks on the other three.

In this situation, what happens when you get a flat tire on the opposite side of your wedged/traditional chocked tire?
Iím thinking (always a dangerous thing) since the tireís ground patch is smaller than the top lego, why not fabricate a small chock to be placed under the other three? It might be better than nothing at all., maybe.?