Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 05:56 AM   #21
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I've found that a pillow under the mattress overcomes the unlevel frying pan for an overnight stay. And that level app on my iphone is the bomb for longer stays.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Prinsessen paa Aerten: Princess on the Pea

"The Princess and the Pea" (Danish: "Prinsessen paa Ćrten"; literal translation: "The Princess on the Pea") is a literary fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen about a young woman whose royal identity is established by a test of her sensitivity. The tale was first published with three others by Andersen in an inexpensive booklet on 8 May 1835 in Copenhagen by C. A. Reitzel."

Folks... we have discovered that many Airstream Owners fit this Fairy Tale.

Guys who volunteered or were drafted into the Military in the late 1960's could sleep leaning against a Tree.

What happened? Ray will tell you.

"The story tells of a prince who wants to marry a princess but is having difficulty finding a suitable wife. Something is always wrong with those he meets and he cannot be certain they are real princesses because they have bad table manners or they are not his type. One stormy night a young woman drenched with rain seeks shelter in the prince's castle..."

The Prince needs to get with it. The Princess needs to get with it. If you want to own an Airstream... Level is not in your long list of wants and needs.

Your under inflated tires could be the problem.

Your Refer is full of heavy refrigerated food for the three day RV Resort Pea Counting Festival would take a skinny person two MONTHS to eat.

Who needs 12 pounds of Ice Cubes? You from the Arctic?

Once you get close to Level. This is after all of this crazy behavior, you then crank down the stabilizer bars. You THINK everything is Princess Pea Perfect.

Wrong: When you walk the floor inside the trailer... the... SQUEAKS begin.

Squeak. Squeak. $%&@*

Trust Me. I am Insane. We do not take Canned or Fresh Peas, ever.

OK. A reward for coming in Second or Third Place...

How to Catch a Bear on an Iced over Lake:

Cut a hole into the Ice.
Sprinkle Peas around the Ice.
When a Bear Comes to take a Pea.
Kick him in the Icehole.

Old Montana Swedish Flathead Lake story. Not true, but it was on a Post Card many decades ago.

The Quotes about the Princess were comments about the story written by Hans Christian Anderson. Read it. You will give up on being LEVEL and toss the can of Frozen Peas onto the frozen Lake. Trout may like them, too.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Ray will this process work for the Argosy campers or will the iron ferrite in the paint cause the plumb to spin in circles potentially creating lift and raising the trailer off the ground. Just asking for a friend.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Six Inch Nasal Hair and Whiney People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
Ray will this process work for the Argosy campers or will the iron ferrite in the paint cause the plumb to spin in circles potentially creating lift and raising the trailer off the ground. Just asking for a friend.
First off... we had Blueberry Pancakes for Breakfast. They were Flat and did not squeak or appeared to having a problem being level, on both sides.

This Thread is only concerned with ONE Side of an Argosy or Airstream. Unless you use a cheap hitch and flipped your Argosy on I-40, three or four sides may be an issue for you.

One Brand Name is a misspelled word for Astronaut, but that is another story.

Take a Metal Detector. Not mine. I loaned it to a Rancher in western Nebraska and never saw him or the Metal Detector again. A$$ %$!*.

Are you married, engaged or just hunting? Never mind. Keeping options is good.

A METAL detector will not work in an Argosy or Airstream. They are made of Aluminum like old Jaguar XKE's. Will not level anything. Aluminum is another form of substituting a shiny object for steel. I told you my Metal Detector was ripped off. Of course, I cannot check your Astronaut Trailer for anything.

Look... Lets say your Girlfriend, Wife or just hunting wakes you up at night to complain about the Argosy, which is a Real Airstream, just misspelled. Whine, whine, whine.... Geeez. Grow some whiskers. But how about a six inch Nasal Hair? It is possible. I have done it.

At 2AM when she is snoring like a noisy vent fan in your Argosy gone whiney (a sustained high pitched whine)... pluck that six inch nasal hair you have been spending three months growing. Tickle her nose. She will slap her face and wake up. You are sound... asleep.

You have learned how to control the situation. I am a Neanderthal and prefer to change the subject as I feel. You need to get a better paint job. Try doing it blowing paint out of a straw... I heard you can get Rich in the process.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Ray,

I think you've lost your marbles. Why in the world would you want to carry an old fashion plumbob around with you tied to 80" of string that you could very easily strangle yourself with while sleepwalking. How many times have you dropped that heavy pointy-thing on your foot?

No, it is so much better to spend $1200 on the latest iPhone, then download the FREE LevelMatePro app (hey, the app is free. so what if you have to shell out an additional $150 for the device). An besides, you can level without ever leaving your truck (not counting sending your wife out to set the level blocks or the countless trips you have to make to be sure your app is see YOUR LevelMatePro and not your neighbors). Besides, you need the iPhone to call the tow/repair truck after you've backed into that tree that your wife was furiously yelling at you to avoid.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I only promote useless tools, not use them myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Ray,

I think you've lost your marbles. Why in the world would you want to carry an old fashion plumbob around with you tied to 80" of string that you could very easily strangle yourself with while sleepwalking. How many times have you dropped that heavy pointy-thing on your foot?

I edited your Quote. Too wordy.

I wake up in the morning. Have breakfast. Do some digesting sitting in front of the computer screen... then turn it on. Then laugh at the typos and words I should have used and the previous day. None of my material is edited or checked for accuracy. Facts are facts. Real or not.

My phone has a cord that is only 48 inches long. It will not reach into the trailer. The trailer is in the RV Garage. I am not about to take my television out into the garage to level anything. It is not a toy replica that many have in their photographs on the window sill.

Mine is inflatable.

People do not realize you can LEVEL your trailer even if the ground is NOT LEVEL.

A concept that Highly Technical People with a cell phone forget. Dial... 'I do not care'.

I like the Thread about the Awning Hooks are too Difficult. Gather up a bunch of members on this thread, bring folding chairs, some wine, beer, cheetos, soda water... and join in the Discussion. It will be fun.

The last discussion I had was on a Boondocking Adventure. A member complained about 'too many roads were on the map I provided'.

Yes... that is because you are from Illinois and this is Wyoming. That is not my Map. That is the map of the Central USA. Wyoming is a separate country of its own and uses a special map. It has Wyoming Roads and Highways. Few, but there are also BLM and NFS roads... barely but they exist.

I am sure there are others who want to bring over a Folding Chair and get into this. If you cannot secure the doors and drawers in your trailer when moving... do not worry about LEVEL. By the time you repair all the interior damage... you will sleep very well.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Materials:

- 78 to 80 inch string.
- Small eyed screw with thread
- Carpenter's Plumb Tool with point
- Ice Box with three Beers or Seltzer Water

Walk into your Double Axle Airstream. Use the steps folded out, with the door open. (Yes this is very detailed and instructions are important.) To enter.

Single Axles may have the identical situation but I have had no response earlier for an important question... so it is your fault for not responding.

Double Axles have four tires and one spare. It helps if none are flat, but who cares by the time you finish this. Triple Axles have the Refer probably over the center Axle... check to see if you have a Double or a Triple Axle by mistake. Probably you are in the WRONG Trailer?

The Dometic Refrigerator is centered over the Double Axles. Look at the ceiling. Yes, the one over your head. You are in your trailer. Put down the Beer. Geeez...

There is a Rivet. Factory installed perfectly Centered over the Floor. No... I have never been in your trailer before. Your freezer was empty, I must say.

Take the Eyed screw and screw it into the center of the Rivet. (You won't, but you will if you want Perfect Level.)

Level your Airstream. If is not your Airstream, better. You can get some practice.

Left to Right. Front to Back. Spend ten minutes or two hours. Time to do this is your problem, not mine. 'PERFECT' is a word has FIVE Letters on purpose... WRONG has Seven Letters...

Four Letter words will get you mouth washed out with a bar of soap. This is a simple job. Cussing is for YaHoos in Wyoming riding a horse that has a burr under the saddle...

When the Trailer is perfectly centered, tie the string to the eyed screw in the ceiling. Use a double knot. This is not a Shoe Lace. This is for the Carpenter's Plumb with a sharp point.

Tie the other end of the string, yes there is one end being used so use the end that is still available. Put the Beer Down... Geeez.

With the Trailer Perfectly Level, the Carpenter's Plumb sharp tip should be just above the linoleum tied to the ceiling eye loop and to the Plumb. This IS the spot on the floor you want to mark, with a small dot, or a small sticker, or something.

This SPOT is where the Carpenter's Plumb will be found OVER when your Trailer is Perfectly Centered a Second Time. The second time is when you go somewhere after doing all of this. There will more times to follow, as well. You do not need to keep a count.

If you want Perfect or just Sort Of Level...: Have a SPOT on the Floor for Perfect. Easier, a circle the size of a dime for Excellent. A quarter for OK. A half Dollar for you will not know the difference. Or a $100 Bill with the Carpenter's Plumb anywhere and your Wife will get to keep the Cash and will want you to Repeat the Process using Cash on every stop. She will not complain, ever again.

Any comments? I am sure there are some. This will work. Will your life change and will you sleep better? Not really. But the Shower Door and Bathroom Door will not swing open at night and injure you.

Level is important. Falling off sitting or standing on the toilet stool is embarrassing. Falling out of Bed takes practice. Food on the table will not move while you are eating. Lots of benefits. No negatives.

Food in the Refer will still FALL OUT when you stop, level the trailer and open the door. That is due to the last ten Service Station exists are terrible. You should have already know this, but some people need to be reminded. Myself, more often than most. A frozen chicken can hurt your foot when it hits the floor.

Tell us how it worked. Thousands want to know. They are suffering from something. Probably High Fuel Prices, but that is another issue.

I have not tried it yet. I am an Inventor. I need good feedback. Probably not yours, but do it anyways. Have a Good Day, anyways.
Ok Ray good idea, a little overkill maybe

I have a carpenters level, a great big steel ball in a tube thing, and Level Mate Pro app on my phone. I'm good and level and very easy, oh and I use Anderson Levelers, "game changer" for simplicity
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Front to Back leveling is the easiest known process known to Neanderthals and Human Beans.

It is the Side to Side that takes skill. Nancy does the leveling blocks and adds a block for compression into the dirt, sod or something soft. Hard surfaces will not compress the leveling blocks. We always prefer to estimate level and add a leveling block on soft surfaces. Often two to three is average. Over three your trailer could be a bit unstable and leaving it connected to the tow vehicle is a good idea. Often a 3 / 3 under a double axle. A one is not worth the bother. You add an inch and the trailer is leaning the other direction.

Front to Back... my Mom can do that.

Side to Side... no leveling blocks? Move around until you find a spot that is close.

Again... Front to Back has the power jack. I prefer having to go UP, versus down where the nose of the trailer is down near the ground.

It is all a matter of experience. We often leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle, as we are not camping at the Maverick Service Station and no leveling blocks. Up to two inches is easy to find front to back. We also leave the trailer attached with no power jack lifting and if Off the Grid... level the Left to Right.

I have ten leveling blocks in the rear compartment. I have ten leveling blocks for the Front Power Jack with two 12"x12"x2" lumber. One for the top and the other for the bottom to keep things table.

Want to bend your power jack...? Read the Power Jack is Bent threads.

There is an Easy Way or the Hard Way. People tend to disregard the Easy Way and then need to ask questions about what is wrong as the trailer is high on one side and low on the other. The power jack has nothing to do with that... they may figure it out, but I do not hold my breath.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
LEVEL Airstream PERFECTLY forever

Meh, as long as the head end of the bed is above the foot end of the bed, we sleep just fine. The dogs sleep on the floor in the Airstream on the furniture at home. They don’t care a whit about level. They are just glad to live indoors and eat regularly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4454.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	694.5 KB
ID:	397772

Name:	IMG_3857.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	397773

Name:	IMG_3360.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	397774

Name:	IMG_2616.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	397775
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I have discovered that there are a lot of Princesses with Airstreams. I thought Airstreams were the choice of Off the Grid Boondockers in 2006. I was wrong. I was a weirdo... with a walking stick. Camping? Howard Johnsons was camping to this crowd... Airstreams are the KOA and RV Park customers deluxe.

I am now thinking... Oliver 25 foot double axle is the ultimate OTG Boondocking trailer. Now if I can get a 100% top, bottom and inside inspection... who knows? There are few made at the present and hard to find one parked. When I walk up... they may call the Cops.

Although I am better looking in Person.

People who cannot find level. Look how comfortable Rich and company have found not level.

If you cannot level side to side... buy TWO Pillows. One to lay head level (My Pillows work best)... and the other to put Over your head to quit whining...

Put the level under the mattress. If you feel it... you are a 'Princess Airstream' resident.

Try Tent Camping for two weeks. Reality will make you stiff, sore and will quit whining about your comfortable bed and mirror in the bathroom. Try Tent Camping for a Season with two Blue Heelers. We did, regretted selling the 25 foot International and bought a NEW 27 foot FB International with solar, with 3 inch lift and room for a Band and two singers. ( I may look ignorant... but the plan worked. Nancy was sore as well and was quick to get anything with a mattress. Genius, I say.)

Get real folks. Do not read my Threads. Ignore my Posts. I only use the trailer often enough to pop rivets and wear out 16 inch Michelin tires. We found this beats Tent Camping OR finding someone's else's hair on a Pillow and Towels at a hotel.

(Yes, I shed a lot. Do not need a haircut, either. I shed while looking through the new Airstream... you bought.)
Old 06-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Oops, blurry vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Materials:

- 78 to 80 inch string.
- Small eyed screw with thread
- Carpenter's Plumb Tool with point
- Ice Box with three Beers or Seltzer Water

Walk into your Double Axle Airstream. Use the steps folded out, with the door open. (Yes this is very detailed and instructions are important.) To enter.

Single Axles may have the identical situation but I have had no response earlier for an important question... so it is your fault for not responding.

Double Axles have four tires and one spare. It helps if none are flat, but who cares by the time you finish this. Triple Axles have the Refer probably over the center Axle... check to see if you have a Double or a Triple Axle by mistake. Probably you are in the WRONG Trailer?

The Dometic Refrigerator is centered over the Double Axles. Look at the ceiling. Yes, the one over your head. You are in your trailer. Put down the Beer. Geeez...

There is a Rivet. Factory installed perfectly Centered over the Floor. No... I have never been in your trailer before. Your freezer was empty, I must say.

Take the Eyed screw and screw it into the center of the Rivet. (You won't, but you will if you want Perfect Level.)

Level your Airstream. If is not your Airstream, better. You can get some practice.

Left to Right. Front to Back. Spend ten minutes or two hours. Time to do this is your problem, not mine. 'PERFECT' is a word has FIVE Letters on purpose... WRONG has Seven Letters...

Four Letter words will get you mouth washed out with a bar of soap. This is a simple job. Cussing is for YaHoos in Wyoming riding a horse that has a burr under the saddle...

When the Trailer is perfectly centered, tie the string to the eyed screw in the ceiling. Use a double knot. This is not a Shoe Lace. This is for the Carpenter's Plumb with a sharp point.

Tie the other end of the string, yes there is one end being used so use the end that is still available. Put the Beer Down... Geeez.

With the Trailer Perfectly Level, the Carpenter's Plumb sharp tip should be just above the linoleum tied to the ceiling eye loop and to the Plumb. This IS the spot on the floor you want to mark, with a small dot, or a small sticker, or something.

This SPOT is where the Carpenter's Plumb will be found OVER when your Trailer is Perfectly Centered a Second Time. The second time is when you go somewhere after doing all of this. There will more times to follow, as well. You do not need to keep a count.

If you want Perfect or just Sort Of Level...: Have a SPOT on the Floor for Perfect. Easier, a circle the size of a dime for Excellent. A quarter for OK. A half Dollar for you will not know the difference. Or a $100 Bill with the Carpenter's Plumb anywhere and your Wife will get to keep the Cash and will want you to Repeat the Process using Cash on every stop. She will not complain, ever again.

Any comments? I am sure there are some. This will work. Will your life change and will you sleep better? Not really. But the Shower Door and Bathroom Door will not swing open at night and injure you.

Level is important. Falling off sitting or standing on the toilet stool is embarrassing. Falling out of Bed takes practice. Food on the table will not move while you are eating. Lots of benefits. No negatives.

Food in the Refer will still FALL OUT when you stop, level the trailer and open the door. That is due to the last ten Service Station exists are terrible. You should have already know this, but some people need to be reminded. Myself, more often than most. A frozen chicken can hurt your foot when it hits the floor.

Tell us how it worked. Thousands want to know. They are suffering from something. Probably High Fuel Prices, but that is another issue.

I have not tried it yet. I am an Inventor. I need good feedback. Probably not yours, but do it anyways. Have a Good Day, anyways.
But the second time I tried this all I saw was two dots.
Which one do I use? Also.
Question, 1. how many beers do you drink before you attempt this?
Question 2. Beer in the fridge, are they supposed to be low octane store bought? Or HIGH octane home brew?

Please! Inquiring minds NEED to know.

I must also add:
Wine has wisdom.
Beer has courage.
Water has bacteria…………… your choice.

Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Chestertown , Maryland
Ray,

I love the effort and the process developed. I have the following input:

3 beers are not enough!

What gauge string will I need?

Will I have to have my Plumb Bob calibrated?

Is there a way you can have a readout so that I can see or read the invention from the outside?

Should I leave the string and plumb bob installed all of the time? I can see this as an issue but just pushing it out of the way when passing it would work.

My fridge is ahead of my double axles. So is my water tank. Will I have to re-level every time I remove a beer or use the water?

Where do I order this invention!!
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Ray,
Keep up the good work.
Need to replace the floor, would you come to Maine and do color commentary?
Up here in Maine in the summer, it is all on the level, just checked.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I guess those bubble levels attached to the front, back and sides of my old AS are a waste of time. I'll have to contemplate that over a nice Jim Beam Black, neat.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #35
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
We use a LevelMate Pro II. We first leveled our trailer using 6 foot carpenter levels, then installed and calibrated our Levelmate Pro II. It takes minutes to level our Airstream. Works every time.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote