Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2003, 08:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Kill switch for electric jack ?

just had a terrible thought,since i parked my a/s at a campground for a month,so g/f can use it on weekend's while i'm working,what if some curios type raises or lowers the jack when the bals are down? will the jack motor torque out ,blow a fuse
or my fear break the bal's and bend the frame? Is it possible to install a key switch in the lp tank cover, or is this asking for an explosion?
remark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You could install a switch to cut power to the jack. The switch itself would not create a spark unless you flip the switch while the jack motor is in operation or if for some reason the switch contacts get contaminated. Mount the switch in something that would keep it out of the elements and you should have no problem.

Garry

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Another way

The jack should be on a dedicated fuse or circuit breaker, whichever you happen to have. This is a good place to disable it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:25 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is an sort of off topic question:

Since going out on two trips now, the old manual crank is kind of a bit much. I could deal with it, but I am kind of interested in installing a power jack on the tongue. Where would I get the power for such an install if I went that route?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:29 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Here is an sort of off topic question:

Since going out on two trips now, the old manual crank is kind of a bit much. I could deal with it, but I am kind of interested in installing a power jack on the tongue. Where would I get the power for such an install if I went that route?

Eric
Eric,

If you want to do it down and cheap just put a fused link off your battery post. That's where my old SOB had its jack powered from.

On the Safari I have a line which runs from the fuse panel to the jack.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Jack. I had figured that might be the answer, I just figured there might be something more eloquent like a wire run that is tucked away somewhere kind of like GM does. They ususally prewire everything and if you buy the toys, they just plug them in.

I may just do the off the battery bit since I don't feel like pulling cables from the mid of the coach to the front.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Eric, I use a spur off the blue power line to the breakaway switch, which is right where you want it. It is always live 12 volts, unless you turn off the battery kill switch, in my rig. Good luck. Nick.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:31 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
remark83

If your trailer is set up on stands or the stabilizer jacks, (BAL) then the power jack will retract up into the sleeve and stop. Or the front end of the trailer will be raised a little. That is what the jack was designed to do .... raise the trailer. It will stop when it runs out of travel. It should not trip a breaker or blow a fuse. And someone could have fun raising and lowering your power jack and run down the battery.

Course you could just disconect the battery when you leave.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Silvertwinkie

On your '03, the line for the power jack should be taped off in the vicinity of the jack. It is in the wiring harness whether you get the OEM jack or not.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Eric---We have a 02 Bambi & like you thought at first that we didn't need a power jack. we soon found out that it's a lot of cranking, so found an Atwood power unit on sale & snapped it up. Took about a half hour to install & I found that A/S has a prewire at the tounge location ( it's a dead end wire in the bundle ) ready for your power jack connection. For our unit I think it is a 20a fuse # 5 in the12 v box under the RS seat.. Our fuse at the box was not labeled other than extra, however the owners manual shows that this is the fuse for the power jack. since we installed the power jack the wife hasn't complained a bit when it comes raising or lowering The Rig. Hope this helps.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote