Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2023, 02:22 PM   #1

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Jacking point

At the International Rally this year, a tire changing presentation stated that the best jacking point is directly between the wheels. I'm new to twin axle airstreams and would like to know you more experienced folks agree with that jacking location? The presenter did emphasize that the jack has to be carefully placed so as to exert the lifting force thru the vertical member (web) of the C channel rather than the horizontal bottom flange.
thanks for any comments
LarsCaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've always used the jack point that is marked on the belly of the trailer. It is clearly marked.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Locate the jack point under your trailer. It should be marked with an arrow pointing to it. It's not 'at' the arrow, but that arrow points to it. On my rig there's a 2 inch x 2 inch square of aluminum that's riveted to the underbelly. It's right at the seam that runs along the I-beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	385020_3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	436215  

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsCaravel View Post
At the International Rally this year, a tire changing presentation stated that the best jacking point is directly between the wheels. I'm new to twin axle Airstreams and would like to know you more experienced folks agree with that jacking location? The presenter did emphasize that the jack has to be carefully placed so as to exert the lifting force thru the vertical member (web) of the C channel rather than the horizontal bottom flange.
thanks for any comments

When I use the marked jacking point, I can't open my entry door. This tells me that the frame is being distorted. I jack between the wheels on the axle carrier beam. I also use a 3/4" thick steel load spreader between the jack and the beam. By doing this, the load to the frame is unchanged from the load seen while towing. I think advice you got in the presentation is spot on.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I just put four new tires on my FC 30 RB. I lifted one side of the trailer at a time placing a 2.5 ton hydraulic jack between the wheels on the axle carrier beam. I removed one tire and placed a jack stand under the axle as close to the brake drum as possible. Removed the other tire and did the same with a jack stand. Went to the other side and removed the tires on that side using the same method. That way I could take all four wheels into the tire shop at one time to have the new tires mounted. Putting the wheels back on with the new tires installed was the reverse of the removal. I'm thinking that using the jack point on the trailer is the least desirable method of removing a tire. If only removing one wheel, say to change a flat tire, it's easiest to pull the good tire up on a three inch block which will lift the flat tire off of the ground - no jack needed.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:48 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
jacking changing tire

I believe in simple and old school. Your working on a dual axle, so simply get 2 short pieces of 4x4 12" long, cut a 45 degree angle on one end. attach tow vehicl e and place one 4x4 in front ( or rear) of tire and drive ONE tire onto 4x4. loosen lug nuts before driving onto 4x4. Be sure to chock wheels on opposite side with 2nd 4x4 .The other tire should lift and spin freely. change tire and move off 4x4. Reverse operation for 2nd tire. Be sure to tighten lug nuts to 110 lbs with torque wrench. Easy, fast and safe.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsCaravel View Post
At the International Rally this year, a tire changing presentation stated that the best jacking point is directly between the wheels. I'm new to twin axle airstreams and would like to know you more experienced folks agree with that jacking location?
Yes, this is what I do. I found my floor jack will not fit between the tires, so a bottle jack is the answer.
I have never used the marked jack points because I don't like laying on the ground to place the jack, also there's a water line running right over one corner.
I figure if the axle support beam can carry the trailer bouncing down the road, it will be able to support the trailer parked.
BTW, the beam is a "C" or "L" shape with a flange across the bottom. I don't need the jack right on the edge.

My local Discount Tire refused to use the marked points or the support rail. They would only jack under the axles (???) so I left.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #8
Bindi’s boss

2022 25' Globetrotter
Katy , Texas
Easiest way to change tire on tandem axle trailer

BISupply Tandem Wheel Ramp. I have carried one of these or something like it for 15 years in my tow vehicle. I have used it to lift a Airstream 25FB trailer and a 23 foot center console fishing boat to change tires.
Hilljeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
I have to replace my tires. What is the "axle carrier beam"? I did a Google search but can't find a description. THX
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
When I use the marked jacking point, I can't open my entry door. This tells me that the frame is being distorted. I jack between the wheels on the axle carrier beam. I also use a 3/4" thick steel load spreader between the jack and the beam. By doing this, the load to the frame is unchanged from the load seen while towing. I think advice you got in the presentation is spot on.

Me too, especially a steel load spreader.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
I have to replace my tires. What is the "axle carrier beam"? I did a Google search but can't find a description. THX
It's the steel vertical beam that the axles and shocks attach to. If you look between the tires (dual axle), you're looking at it. It's actually "C" shaped, so a bottle jack fits under it without needing to be on the edge.
(a floor jack won't fit between the tires on mine, thus a bottle jack.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	axle.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	436827  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post

If you look between the tires, you will see a short section of steel channel that the axles are bolted to. That is what I (and others) are calling the axle carrier beam.

Use of a load spreader is recommended. I used a bottle jack on my 25 and it deformed the lower web of the channel. Since them I have always used a wood or steel load spreader between the jack and the beam.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Jupiter , Florida
Dredging up an old thread.

So Airstream provides a place to use a jack to lift the trailers but there isn't an AS official way to put trailers on jack stands unless you use the bottle jack w/ stand combo.

I'd like to use jack stands to remove all 4 wheels and take them in for TPMS sensors. The problem being that the jack point will be used by my jack which leave no official place to use the jack stands. AS really should provide some guidance.

i'm inclined to use a jack between the wheels as mentioned above and put the jackstands below the factory marked lift locations ... or visa versa.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:20 PM   #14
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoman View Post
Dredging up an old thread.

So Airstream provides a place to use a jack to lift the trailers but there isn't an AS official way to put trailers on jack stands unless you use the bottle jack w/ stand combo.

I'd like to use jack stands to remove all 4 wheels and take them in for TPMS sensors. The problem being that the jack point will be used by my jack which leave no official place to use the jack stands. AS really should provide some guidance.

i'm inclined to use a jack between the wheels as mentioned above and put the jackstands below the factory marked lift locations ... or visa versa.
These are what I've used since day 1 and have been happy with them. My Airstream is jacked up right now while I'm traveling overseas supported only by two of these combo jacks and the tongue jack to remove weight from the tires. Never have had a problem and my door opens without problem when supported like this using the factory-marked lift points.

It will come off the jacks this summer when I'm home for a trip in the Airstream and then back up as I prepare to return overseas.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
These are what I've used since day 1 and have been happy with them. My Airstream is jacked up right now while I'm traveling overseas supported only by two of these combo jacks and the tongue jack to remove weight from the tires. Never have had a problem and my door opens without problem when supported like this using the factory-marked lift points.

It will come off the jacks this summer when I'm home for a trip in the Airstream and then back up as I prepare to return overseas.
I'm sold on the all-in-one so that is what I'm going with.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
For the sake of discussion...

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ge-244781.html post #3

I got as far as getting some left over 6x6x18 to the barn, intending on laying them horizontally for the back supports, but got waylay-ed with some medical issues. However I like the simplicity of this process....stays with the original AS jack point location & design. Besides why by jack stands...the 6x6x18's are free. Next fall for sure. The to give the tires a bit of rest.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:28 PM   #17
D & L Gates

2024 25' Trade Wind
Pella , Iowa
Follow-on question about using the jack points. I can see only two of these on my Trade Wind (25', dual axle); they are to the rear of the wheels. I have never (yet) tried to jack up the trailer so I'm wondering--does raising the trailer with one of these jack points completely lift that side of the trailer so that the tires can both be removed? It seems to me that the front would also need to be raised in order to get the whole side in the air. But there are no jack points in the front.

The reason I'm asking is, I will be taking the AS to a tire shop to have the TPMS valves installed. I want to be able to competently guide the shop in lifting the trailer properly. TIA
Old 05-23-2024, 05:00 PM   #18
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida

Name:	IMG_20240521_094419913_HDR.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	646.5 KB
ID:	443705

There's always this option.
Just had 4 new tires put on at Discount Tire.
They were fine with the tiles, no Jack needed, 2 tires done at a time.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:27 AM   #19
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_gee View Post
Follow-on question about using the jack points. I can see only two of these on my Trade Wind (25', dual axle); they are to the rear of the wheels. I have never (yet) tried to jack up the trailer so I'm wondering--does raising the trailer with one of these jack points completely lift that side of the trailer so that the tires can both be removed? It seems to me that the front would also need to be raised in order to get the whole side in the air. But there are no jack points in the front.

The reason I'm asking is, I will be taking the AS to a tire shop to have the TPMS valves installed. I want to be able to competently guide the shop in lifting the trailer properly. TIA
Yes - the jacking points can easily lift both tires off the ground.

Using the ramp method is much safer and easier if the trailer is still hitched to the truck though. Instead of changing two tires on one side you change both tires on an axle. Safer, less risk of damage, and quicker.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote