Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Jack Foot

I have had a few occasions in which I had difficulty putting/removing the jack foot that is attached to the bottom of our Atwood electric jack due to the terrain where our 2016FC23D is parked.

In such situations, I put the rear tire of our TV on leveling blocks. By raising the TV, I raise the trailer nose, creating more clearance between the jack foot and the ground.

But I think if I had a jack foot that is a bit shorter (say 1/2" shorter), I would never have this problem.

Has anyone experienced that?
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Maybe 2016 trailers are different, but the jack foot on my 2017 AS is adjustable for height. It never has to be removed completely for ground clearance.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Maybe 2016 trailers are different, but the jack foot on my 2017 AS is adjustable for height. It never has to be removed completely for ground clearance.

Thanks for your comment. Mine is just a simple foot that is made of a pipe and a circular base welded together. Jack shaft slides into the pipe of the foot. So to put it on or remove it from the jack shaft, it needs some clearance between the base and the ground. I have had a few occasions that raising the shaft all the way up didn't create enough clearance between the base and the ground.

I'm curious what adjustable foot looks like, so I googled it. Nothing that looks adjustable came up.

But I'm wondering if I can use something like this in this situation:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../LC165253.html
Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Tongue Jack Foot

Here is a photo of my jack foot. There is a pin that goes through the shaft and foot tube and is held in place with a clip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tongue Jack Foot.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	331892

Some people use the Fastway Flip
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Here is a photo of my jack foot. There is a pin that goes through the shaft and foot tube and is held in place with a clip.

Attachment 331892

Some people use the Fastway Flip

Okay, so for height adjustment, do you choose a different hole to put the pin? I'm not sure if I understand correctly how height adjustment works....
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Okay, so for height adjustment, do you choose a different hole to put the pin? I'm not sure if I understand correctly how height adjustment works....
The inside foot tube can be extended about 8" and the pin goes through both tubes to hold its position. The hole in the outside tube is fixed.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
The inside foot tube can be extended about 8" and the pin goes through both tubes to hold its position. The hole in the outside tube is fixed.

Okay, thanks. Now I understand.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Hacksaw 1/2” off the top of the jack foot tube.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Hacksaw 1/2” off the top of the jack foot tube.

!! Cool !!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
I have had a few occasions in which I had difficulty putting/removing the jack foot that is attached to the bottom of our Atwood electric jack due to the terrain where our 2016FC23D is parked.

Are you trying to put something under the jack plate? Normally, I use a 1" thick plastic block under there but sometimes there isn't enough clearance, maybe off 1/2" or so, like you said. So I carry a flat square of steel to use instead of the plastic block. This spreads out the weight so I don't sink into the ground or asphalt and gives me the extra room I need for the stand.

One time (just once) I had to put a block of wood directly under the tube and raise up the nose, put a cement block under the tongue, lower the nose and raise the tube (nose is resting on the cement block), put the jack stand in, put the plastic block down and raise the nose to remove the cement block and unhook the TV. It's been while, but I think that's what I did.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I put my jack foot on the highest position and never remove it.
I can retract the jack enough so it never is in danger of hitting anything.
Then, I carry a block I made, 12" x 12" made from two squares of 3/4" plywood with 2 x 4's on edge inside. A frame PLUS one in the middle to support the weight. Added a handle and a rope to pick it up.
I throw that under the jack foot so I don't need to lower the jack as much.
If I was to do it over, and I will, I'd use 2 x 6's in the center so it would be even thicker. Two blocks are too tall.

People caution that you're not supposed to put anything under the jack foot, but that's because some people use a scrap of 4 x 4 with a piece of 2 x 4 and make some thing unstable. A 12" x 12" solid block is not going anywhere.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
I have encountered a situation in which I couldn't remove the foot. Jack leg is all the way up, but the foot pipe is just 1/2" too long for the pipe to slide off of the leg (the base hits the ground).

So I raised the truck by putting the rear tires on leveling blocks. This will raise the nose of the trailer just enough to remove the foot.

But if the foot was just a bit shorter, this won't happen.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The pressed lands in the foot distort and allow jambing at the foot/post interface. I got a large washer, just smaller in diameter than the foot inside diameter. That solved the problem. Eventually, the washer distorted enough to be stuck in place within the foot, eliminating it dropping out while handling.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The pressed lands in the foot distort and allow jambing at the foot/post interface. I got a large washer, just smaller in diameter than the foot inside diameter. That solved the problem. Eventually, the washer distorted enough to be stuck in place within the foot, eliminating it dropping out while handling.

It is sometimes difficult to remove the foot even when there is enough clearance. I have to tap the base to get it loosen.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
It is sometimes difficult to remove the foot even when there is enough clearance. I have to tap the base to get it loosen.
I understand, it is wedged into the bottom of the post. Examine the foot lands. You'll see what I am talking about.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you taking it off in the first place? My jack is a Barker and the foot retracts above the bottom of the A-frame, so hitting it on something is not a concern. Is yours different?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The rare occasion when I need clearance or when using the under jack flagpole I raise the tongue with the...

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05180.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	331924  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you taking it off in the first place? My jack is a Barker and the foot retracts above the bottom of the A-frame, so hitting it on something is not a concern. Is yours different?
I'll answer, if you don't mind. There are two different styles of Barker feet/posts. OP and I have the earlier style. No pin and if you were to fashion an attachment, (there is none) it would definitely be a ground clearance problem. Also, I have a Hensley hitch and an attached foot would interfere with the swing of the spring bars with a tight backing maneuver. This foot is also, I believe taller than the attached style.
Edit: I'm not sure if it is an earlier vs later style, but there are definitely two styles.