Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Installing a Husky Super Brute 5000

As a result of the replies to my earlier post I have decided on the husky 5000. Now I need to know how easy it will be to install to include knowing if I will have to drill new holes and how difficult will the rewiring be to include if I will need to solder thanks in advance
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I installed the same jack you have just a few days ago. With a floor jack or jack stands or something strong and stable support the A-frame of your trailer. Wheel chocks would also be a good idea. I removed the propane tank cover and bottles for a lot more access. Then take the pressure off by retracting the old jack. The 3 attaching bolts take a 9/16" wrench / socket to remove. I cut the power wire after disconnecting it from 12V in the battery box. On my 2019 Globetrotter there was an inline fuse in the battery box. Remove the jack foot and after removal of the 3 bolts the old one lifts out. Replace with the Husky and install the 3 bolts and washers. For the power Husky includes an inline circuit breaker. I used crimp fittings and heat shrink tubing to make this connection in the battery box after threading the wire from the jack head through the hole in the battery box. If you have room to solder that would be a good idea. Installation is actually an easy remove and replace process.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Use the hitch on your tow vehicle

I had no problem at all removing the stock jack simply by hitching to my two vehicle. Had plenty of room and could see no reason for jack stands, etc.

That said, my tailgate wouldn't clear the 5000. 2015 GMC Sierra - all evidence (online) pointed to having enough clearance but no dice. Will put the 4500# unit on this weekend instead.

Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
BRS
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , AZ
I would echo what others said. I hitched the trailer to the tow vehicle. Removed the old jack and put in the Husky 5000. No need for new holes. Before you bolt it in, be sure to attach the foot. Once I had the new jack securely in place but not hooked up to the battery I used the manual attachment and unhitched my tow vehicle.

My battery box had two small holes already drilled in. The circuit reset switch that comes with the new jack “almost “ fit in one of the holes, so I drilled it out just a bit more, then install the switch and used the second hole to feed the wires in. Looks very professional and I have to say I am not in the least handy with this type of installation. Was really very easy.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
How fast is the Husky?

Is anyone willing to time the Husky 4500 and the 5000 to see how long it takes to go down and up 6 inches?

I did this with the Stromberg Carlson 5000 and 80 seconds is a LONG time to wait. Seems to be about the same under load and under no load.

The 80 seconds was a simple down 6 inches and back up the same 6 inches for a total of 80 seconds.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
Is anyone willing to time the Husky 4500 and the 5000 to see how long it takes to go down and up 6 inches?

I did this with the Stromberg Carlson 5000 and 80 seconds is a LONG time to wait. Seems to be about the same under load and under no load.

The 80 seconds was a simple down 6 inches and back up the same 6 inches for a total of 80 seconds.
That does sound painfully slow.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #7
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
I just installed myself and it is very easy.....Husky provides instructions that guide you thru the process....make sure the “star” washers go in the right place as that is a key to successful operation. Worked as advertised and I really like the remote feature.....remote was very helpful when leveling up front to back on my first travel after Super Brute install. I also went off many recommendations from this forum and it’s a great addition to my Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC7FD6A-CB14-4DCD-80F9-A961A02809BB.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	392918  
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You won't need to drill new holes unless you want to turn the jack sideways. All jacks use the same hole dimensions. (3) 3/8" x 16 bolts on 3" centers.
Do yourself a favor and use new bolts, grade 8 from Lowe's or anyplace selling grade 5 or 8 bolts. Not only will they be stronger, but the threads will be clean and they don't rust.
To install the new Husky you'll need to add a terminal to the wire as well as the circuit breaker. Buy terminals sized for 12 ga wire (yellow) and get a ring terminal 5/16" and a couple splice crimps also 12 ga.
You can buy a crimp tool or mash them with pliers. (crimp tool is better.)
IF you need to turn the jack sideways to open your tailgate, I did a post on how. Basically, you need new holes 30 degrees from the old holes. 120 (between holes) - 90 (turn sideways) = 30.
Here's my post.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ys-196460.html
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Going to install the husky today so was looking over instructions.
On page 2 it says “ disconnect the jack from the battery if the unit is not in use for more than a few days to avoid discharging the battery“.
Say what?!! Does it draw off the battery like a parasite or something? Have never disconnected my jacks from the battery when not in use?!
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Fipp, I installed my SB 5000 last month. I skimmed over the instructions and missed that suggestion !! That is a new one on me. My trailer is usually plugged in so I don't know of the likelihood of discharge - but it seems a bit farfetched !! We went to our FixIt rally and then to Amana for the Region 8 rally. The jack worked perfectly and did not seem to strain like the OEM did when I hitched up previously. And it's quieter than the original as well.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipp View Post
On page 2 it says “ disconnect the jack from the battery if the unit is not in use for more than a few days to avoid discharging the battery“.
Say what?!! Does it draw off the battery like a parasite or something? Have never disconnected my jacks from the battery when not in use?!
I'm not sure how the jack wiring has changed over the 17 years since my Classic was built, but at that time the jack was wired through the power converter box inside the trailer. It has its own resettable 12 volt circuit breaker in the box so I chose not to install the supplied breaker that Husky provides. There is no power draw with mine since the Master switch when turned to the off position shuts down all power draw from the battery except for the propane detector.

To each his own but another wiring connection to install that supplied breaker is just another point of failure. I'm confident that the trailer's built in breaker is adequate to protect the circuit. Now if Airstream is either no longer providing an internal breaker for the jack circuit or has bypassed isolating the jack with the Master switch, then my thinking would support using Huskey's supplied breaker.

I think possibly Husky's statement about disconnection might be oriented towards accidentally leaving on the light built into the jack. Also note that since it has a wireless control to raise and lower it, that radio built into the jack head is probably live. If the light is activated in the daytime and not noticed, you might cause an issue if you are storing the trailer or do not have a source of external power. I faithfully use the Master switch when I store since I know that my 2 batteries will be exhausted within 30 days due to the parasitic draw from my turned off appliances.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Fipp,

Not sure just a SWAG. Did you get the Husky with the remote control? That might be part of the ghost draw question.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipp View Post
Phew! My Husky jack is wired directly to the battery so I had a "Rut-Ro" moment, but then I remembered when I installed the battery disconnect, I used the switch on the negative side. So....no power to the jack.
It's also a reminder to me to always have the battery switch 'on' when towing or else I don't have emergency brakes either. (or rear view cam)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Fipp,

Not sure just a SWAG. Did you get the Husky with the remote control? That might be part of the ghost draw question.

Gary
I did get the 5000 model with the remotes. I was also wondering if the “warning” may have to do with the remote.
At any rate it’s all installed and works like a charm! So so happy to have this new jack!!
All great information here from you all !
Thanks !!!
Old 05-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Interested in installing the Superbrute; does anyone with a F250 and a ProPride setup have issues with tailgate clearance when opening?
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Installing a Husky Super Brute 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
Interested in installing the Superbrute; does anyone with a F250 and a ProPride setup have issues with tailgate clearance when opening?

Lots of room! Great choices. Wife uses the remote from inside the trailer to level front to back. Very handy.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:35 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Husky super brute 5000 installed easily and works great!
Now we are looking for a cover for it but can’t find anything …has anyone found a cover that fits this jack?
Closest we found was from clever cover that fits the SB4500 but not the 5000.
Thanks