Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
HWH leveling problem

During our last trip I found that the leveling system would not actuate. The unit has an HWH 610 series automatic leveling system. I had the MH sitting in my driveway on the jacks for a few months. When it was trip time I tried to engage the leveling system and drop the unit back down and store the jacks. When I tried to store the jacks I found that the system was unresponsive. Then I noticed that the "Parking Brake" light was lit. I checked and the parking brake was on and the light was lit on the dash. After several attempts of trying the emergency brake I was eventually able to get the light off and the unit ready for the road. When I arrived at the camp site I had the same problem trying to get the level system to engage. Several on/off/on cycles of the ignition and it eventually came back to life.

Never had this problem before. Any ideas as to where to start to look? I'm guessing it's related to the parking switch or a ground problem. Looked on the HWH web site and found a service manual that indicates there is a blue wire with a diode arraignment between the control unit and the parking brake switch. Anyone know where they would have spliced it in? Where is the parking brake switch on a 1992 36' LY?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My system has problems when low on fluid, it shows jacks are down until more fluid is added.
Electrically it doesn't like being deployed while parking brake is off, if I turn off parking brake electric switch or take it out of park(hydraullic autobrake) it releases the jacks, definitely an electrical connection. To add confusion to the sounds the electric step will operate while ignition key in or on. Chevy has had key problems so that might be another place to look.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Anyone have a clue as to where AS connected the "Parking Brake" sensor line into the P30 chassis? I know that there's a diode arraignment in in line but haven't been able to trace it down yet. I've been able to access the control box area but the blue wire that's supposed to be the sense line for the parking brake goings into a massive bundle of wires at the top of the dash. Really hard to trace the wire beyond that point as AS used ton of zip ties and harness tubing in that area. Just disappears into a mass of wiring.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I have had a similar experience with mine. But it all ways related back to not fully charged batteries. the parking light may have come on then too, but the uneven slope light would come on also. Make sure both disconnects to the batteries are connected when engaging and both batteries fully charged. Mine work fine about 95% of the time but seem to be very temperamental, many times after driving a few hours to a camp site the jacks won't engage to go down, I let them cool down for an hour or two and they work fine then. I've called HWH many times and all they can figure out its a grounding issue but I haven't been able to find it due to it happening so sporadically. Have you heard anything about not running the engine, use only battery power when trying to run the leveling system? I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. Seems like I run mine both ways. Let me know how you make out. Randy

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
HWH is a great place to visit. They are in Moscow, Iowa, right on I-80. Schedule an appointment and arrive the day before. You can park right on site with electrical hookups. The factory is left open overnight so you can use their restrooms with showers. They will quickly fix whatever is wrong with what they provided for your coach, but will not mess with what isn't part of their system. If they find a problem somewhere else they will call it to your attention so you can have it taken care of.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
I know this is an old thread but do not know if you have resolved your problem or not. I have worked on my HWH with them for 2 years to try and fix an intermittent problem that sounds and smells like your problem.

Down at the hydraulic unit there are two starter solenoids which HWH calls "relays". One is a master and one is for the hydraulic oil pump. Look for one of the smaller wires going to this "relay" and it should have a label on it denoting "master". The "master" relay is usually on the left or top when looking at the unit.

What happens is the internal contact spring or contact goes bad while sitting so it will not make contact. One time it will not work, the next it will. If you experience the problem next time. Just stop what you are doing, go out to the unit and gently with the plastic end of a screwdriver knock the crap out of the relay while some one tries to operate it.

You can also troubleshoot it with a meter to see that it is not conducting voltage if you have a proper schematic and find the problem in the circuit but my money is on the master relay.

The "master" has to energize always to retract/extend the jacks but the pump does not have to come on to retract.

The pump only runs to extend jacks.
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Camarillo , California
When you say "down at the hydraulic unit" where do you mean... somewhere under the rig or where the hoses connect to the levers?
Ripley345 is offline   Reply With Quote