Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
How do I store with all the tires removed?

I am moving my 1973 Overlander into a barn where it will be stored. I am going to take all four tires off the trailer and store them at home. I doing this because I don't want somebody breaking into the barn and stealing my trailer.

What would you suggest I use to set the trailer on and where would you locate the blocks?

Brian
Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
4 3000# Jack Stands. Bought mine at Harbor Freight.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Brian I would raise the trailer to remove the tires and place the jack stands on the main axle plate attached to the main frame rails. Then lower the stabilizer jacks on each corner to aid in the stability of the trailer. Do not jack up the trailer or place the blocks on the axles themselves because you would damage the axles. Some other tips to protect against theft would be to remove the battery and umbilical connector. Install agood quality tongue lock as well. You could also buy a very mean rottweiller, leave him at the trailer and don't feed him. LOL. Just kidding about not feeding the dog of course.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Brian,

I would just add to what has been said...if you use jack stands, which is what I would use, make sure they do not sink into the ground surface by using some large boards under them. Over time, they will sink into even asphalt without something under them.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks!

I have the jack stands but I was not sure if they would hurt the trailer if they were in place for long periods of time.

Brian
Old 11-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Brian as long as you place the stands near to where the axles are and support the trailer edges with the stabilizers it should be fine. If the weight is distributed then everything should be alright. Like SteveH says make sure the stand and stabilizers won't sink down and end up twisting the trailer frame.
What about using some old rims without tires still bolted to the axles and sitting on blocks for proper support.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Brian
I not the authority on this,but I am puttin our AIRSTREAM in our barn this year. I will jack up the trailer on the rail at the shock mount between the axles,loosen the lug nuts before raising. Take the tires off and place the jackstands on the rail just before and aft of the axles and leter down. As said before remove the pigtail,lock to tongue and you have done about all you can. Oh make sure ya take the tires and wheel wiff ya.
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
...What about using some old rims without tires still bolted to the axles and sitting on blocks for proper support.
I would not recommend this if there is any life at all left in the axles.

Any torsion axle rubber will take a set over time - the amount of degradation is a function of weight, temperature, and the length of time the axle is in compression.

If you are going to the trouble of jacking up the trailer, leave the weight off of the axles.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks for all the responses. You guys have been really helpful. I will take my floor jack with me and jack it up the plate between the tires. I will remove the tires and take them home. I will have the trailer sitting on the Jack Stands with the stablizers on the ground. I will take the pig tail with me and lock the tongue.

I will lock the barn and pray it is there each time I go to the barn.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
x

XXXX , XXXX
Brian have you given any thought to those tracking devices that notify you if the trailer is moved. That way if someone did try to steal it you would know about it immediately. I had another thought, can you control access to the barn by a vehicle. A locking gate on the lane should slow down a thief`s vehicle and if they spend time breaking the lock on the gate they may be seen from the road.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I need to do something. I just found out somebody made a clone of my debit card. I never use it except at a select few places that everybody goes to. Grocery, hardware, fast food, gas station. We caught it immediately because we follow our accounts. I have never used it on the internet.

I am so sick of people stealing. They took some money, but we were lucky because we caught it immediately. I have come to the conclusion after reading several threads from other forum members who have had their trailers stolen thieves will do what ever it takes. This is the second time we have been ripped off in a month.

Last month they broke into my car and ripped me off. We just got back from camping very late at night. I parked the trailer and left my watch and wedding band in my truck ( I was very tired). They broke in and took my lap top, watch, and wedding band. They hit about 15 other vehicles in the neighborhood that were locked. My son's car was broken into and they took his credit cards (second time in two weeks). The cards were used at 3:30 in the morning at a gas station with video cameras. Police still have not investigated. The police are worthless. We called everyday for two weeks. They wouldn't even go look at the video tapes. They just sent us a report

Brian

Heck they will steal anything right out of your yard with you home.