Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Mississippi
Angry How bad did I mess up?

Super sad. Brand new Bambi 22FB (my first RV), forgot the stabilizers down and first RAISED the jack, then lowered on to the ball. Finally realized what I had done and quickly raised the jack some and brought the stabilizers back up.

Back left stabilizer is bent pretty good (the mounting plate is bent DOWN, which struck me as odd). The front right has a very slight curve to it, and the rest are fine.

What are the chances I messed something up like the frame? I see no visible damage to the shell and the door still shuts fine. I am unbelievably disappointed in myself. All (most) of the weight of the trailer was on the 4 stabilizers at one point.
sadbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...

It won't fix anything, but you are not alone. Very unlikely anything more than your ego and a stabilizer or two will need repair.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We’ve all made that mistake. Live and learn!

You can buy new stabilizer feet and replace the bent feet. It’s inexpensive and easy.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If that’s the worst you could manage, you will never make it into the Head-smackers Hall of Shame.
You almost certainly did not damage the frame.
But, for your penance, you must prepare an arrival and departure checklist and fill it out for the next twenty trips.
Happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Mississippi
Thanks all, that makes me feel better. Is it okay to use the bent stabilizer? I am leaving for a month long trip tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I would take that mistake hands down over forgetting to open the black valve while flushing the tank.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
The stabilizer is not a safety issue, only being used while stationary. If you are worried about the increased point load poking holes in soft hot asphalt, bring a chunk of wood to put under it. I have read other users accounts of wailing on it with a hammer to straighten it.
I would just go and enjoy my trip, and replace it when I got back.
Happy travels!
Old 05-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
The stabilizer is not a safety issue, only being used while stationary. If you are worried about the increased point load poking holes in soft hot asphalt, bring a chunk of wood to put under it. I have read other users accounts of wailing on it with a hammer to straighten it.
I would just go and enjoy my trip, and replace it when I got back.
Happy travels!

Thanks! It’s not the feet that are bent, it’s the actual bracket that mounts to the bottom of the trailer. Does that change anything?
Old 05-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
DW and I got our wires crossed and I drove off with one stabilizer down. I heard a funny noise but then it went away. A guy pulled up next to me at a light and told me the stabilizer was down. It bent the arm and the jackscrew on the (power) jack. Lippert sold me the parts. I pulled it, replaced the parts, put it back on and it is working fine. No problems noticed related to the incident.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
It matters not, regarding function, in my mind. Those things serve to decrease the rocking caused by moving around inside, or by the wind. Typical max capacity is on the order of 700 pounds, which normal use never approaches. Even a compromised leg will steady your trailer.
The final fix may not be as simple as we posters had assumed when we thought you were talking about the footpad. Is the bent part welded to the frame, or is it bolted on below that piece?
Old 05-11-2022, 08:03 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
It matters not, regarding function, in my mind. Those things serve to decrease the rocking caused by moving around inside, or by the wind. Typical max capacity is on the order of 700 pounds, which normal use never approaches. Even a compromised leg will steady your trailer.
The final fix may not be as simple as we posters had assumed when we thought you were talking about the footpad. Is the bent part welded to the frame, or is it bolted on below that piece?
The bent part is held onto the bottom with a few bolts.

I do not know if this is the exact one, but it’s the top bar in this photo:
https://www.amazon.com/BAL-23222-Set...28738920&psc=1
Old 05-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:

It’s held on with a few bolts. I do not know if it’s the same one, but the bent part is the top bar in this photo:
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE00C594-B4CE-4595-9449-DADA7EEEC4A7.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	415871
Old 05-11-2022, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
We use the stabilizers less than half the time. Windy day the stabilizers go down. Not windy for the duration of our stay, they stay up. DW and I are 275# total so the trailer doesn't rock much when walking around...YMMV.

Removal of stabilizers is easy. Mine were a tad rusty so I removed, dismantled, and painted them safety red with the POR-15 process.. I figured that I might as well make the new paint functional. That bright red looks great and it's a little harder to overlook, but still possible. I also have detailed checklists plus a final look-around before before pulling away. The easiest way to screw it up is to mess with the tongue jack before retracting the stabilizers.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
If the attachment holes are not buggered up where that part bolts to the bottom of your trailer then you're good. You won't know until you go to remove the entire mechanism. If the bolts come out smoothly and the new one bolts in there without issue then you're good.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I just came from a local rv parts dealer and saw the bal stabilizers. They were right at $190 a pair so the Amazon price posted earlier is right on.
You will soon learn to walk around and check everything around your trailer when coming and going. Always look for windows shut, vents closed, antenna down if not the stationary
Good luck
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
Like many others, I took off once with a stabilizer down. The stabilizer looked like a ripple potato chip. With a bit of elbow grease and a sturdy vice I was able to hammer it back into shape and today I can't even remember which one it was.

Top tip: paint your stabilizers bright yellow so they show up in the tall grass!
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
If the attachment holes are not buggered up where that part bolts to the bottom of your trailer then you're good. You won't know until you go to remove the entire mechanism. If the bolts come out smoothly and the new one bolts in there without issue then you're good.
My earlier post about a welded component was based on an experience with an SOB where the jack failed in the extended position. I walked out and peeked under my 23FB trailer, pleased to see that Airstream sensibly bolts the jack onto the frame. Replacement should be straightforward.
Good luck, OP! (Don’t want to call you sadbambi, because I think you will soon outgrow that.)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:24 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Condolences but, you've just become a member of a VERY large "club oops". Once the damage is repaired, consider putting a tag up front on that jack as a reminder to check the rear stabilizers BEFORE adjusting the jack. A second tag placed on the steering wheel will also serve as a reminder to NOT drive off until you've checked the stabilizers.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #19
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
My mnemonic is "Some Cows Have Cows Just Behind" - the first "S" is for "Stabilizers up". The rest is the prime sequence of Chocks on, Hitch on, Chocks off, Jack up, Bumper store shut.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #20
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
I just came from a local rv parts dealer and saw the bal stabilizers. They were right at $190 a pair so the Amazon price posted earlier is right on.
You will soon learn to walk around and check everything around your trailer when coming and going. Always look for windows shut, vents closed, antenna down if not the stationary
Good luck
Be careful getting any BAL stabilizers which don't specifically say they are for Airstream trailers. The working bits are the same, but the Airstream model has a much longer post on it so you can reach the jack with the crank without bashing into the belly pan.

BAL makes these specifically for Airstream by modifying a regular stock jack.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote