Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Concord , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingduo View Post
This is probably late for the OP. However for the next person who stumbles upon this thread- the small white gear needs to come off the top assembly before the metal cover comes off exposing the greased gears inside. There is a retainer ring holding the gear down that must be taken off first.
Attachment 404089
AHA! I was wondering about that piece in particular! I did fiddle with the retainer ring but didn't follow through because I wasn't sure what I was doing. And it felt like I was going to fling the retainer ring into the great beyond in trying to get it off and never see it again.

Picture is super helpful. Thank you.
Hieboig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Concord , Massachusetts
Update! Replaced the jack.

Hi all, just here with a quick update:

Thanks again, so much, for the wonderful help and tips and suggestions here. I wound up replacing the jack with a Husky Brute 4500 this past weekend and I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF thanks to help here and lots of internet videos etc etc. Now it's on to the propane leak--stay tuned for a future post tearing my hair out about that one.

Happy trails,
Ellie
Hieboig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ellie

Very good choice and congrats on installing it too.

Propane leak needs diagnostics and fixing. Got a bottle of kids bubble solution? That might be a better than average bubble maker. Spray on joints and connections see if it makes bubbles.

Do a bit of investigation and start a new thread if you need propane help.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqez435 View Post
Ironic, I just replaced my Stromberg Carlson 3500lb rated Jack after well over a decade of use. Water got inside (Ida) and rusted up the gears. I found this 5000 lb rated Jack on Amazon for less than $200 and installed it in less than an hour. That’s including properly supporting the tongue. Here’s the link:
Uriah Products UC500010 Electric Trailer Jack (7-Way Connector, 5000 lb. 12V DC), Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KKR4SH...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon is selling it for $250 and reviews are mixed.
The problem is that at the $250-$300 price point you have tons of name brand choices.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #25
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Test your jack out of the frame.

I had a similar problem, took the old jack out and thought I would test it on the work bench using a 12 v battery before I bought a new one or replaced just the head. It worked fine. My problem was the jack mount ground to the frame was bad.

There was a star washer under one of the three holes where the jack bolts to the frame. It was corroded, as was the frame. Got a new star washer and spent some time with a wire brush on the frame before I reinstalled the jack and everything worked fine once I reconnected the power.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote