Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
First time Iíve replaced tires on my AS jack question

Ok, Iíve had airstream trailers for years. I just donít think in all this time Iíve ever replaced tires. Iím at Discount Tire right now getting our GY Endurance tires replaced with the same GYEs.
My question is the jack points? I have had flats before and used a ramp. Discount Tire has four jacks on the trailer. The jack points marked under our 2020 25FB GT are marked. But when they tried to jack up the trailer, the marked jack point just seemed to cave in. I stopped them from using those. So, I thought maybe the small metal square that is screwed on under the trailer must be the jack point. It caused metal collapse also.
So, I had them jack the trailer up by the frame supporting the axles. I hope Iím not damaging anything. Iíll have the AS dealer check it, as Iím heading there next (to get the brakes checked).
Hereís where they placed jacks. Any issues??
Thanks, we are getting ready to head to the Keys in a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	629.8 KB
ID:	439242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	439243  

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19í Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think the frame supporting the axles is the best place to jack to change tires.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think the frame supporting the axles is the best place to jack to change tires.
Thanks. Seemed to go just fine. That Discount Tire is like an Indy pit crew. They had me in and out of there in minutes. Then over to Bill Thomas camper sales in Wentzville MO for the brake inspection. I should have asked before I took the trailer in, they charge $320 for a brake inspection.. I guess the never lube axles are a 2 hour job just to check brakes.
I guess Iíve read about too many people having brake issues. So Iím getting it done. I pulled over Beartooth Pass from WY into MT a few years ago. I had a brake get hot and wear a flat spot on a tire. So itíll be peace of mind.
Thanks again on the info for jacking it up. The guys at DT were just going to use the axles. I knew that wasnít preferred.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Yep.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I've had new tires put on my dual-axle trailer at my local Discount Tire twice now. Both times they were happy to have me raise my trailer on a stack of leveling blocks, freeing them from having to jack up the trailer.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The sticker which reads "Jack Point" also has an arrow on it, and the arrow is pointing at the actual jack point which sits slightly inward of the sticker. It's a diamond-shaped piece of aluminum which is riveted to the belly pain directly over the frame.

In my opinion, this is the most poorly-designed way to indicate where the jack point is, especially since the arrow on the stickers is thin and hard to detect once a little road dirt is present on the stickers.

I've successfully used the actual jacking points numerous times to lift the tires off the ground. I put a small block of wood which is about the same width as the frame rail between the jack and the jack point, as this focuses the pressure of the jack directly against the frame rail. Otherwise, the cup on the end of the jack is wider than the jack point and contacts the aluminum belly pan, potentially causing damage.

My trailer came to me with scars of misplaced jacks from the past, indicating that someone tried to jack using the stickers themselves as the jack point instead of the actual jack point. Those stickers should be at the jack points themselves, or better yet just stamp the wording in the aluminum diamonds riveted to the belly pan so no mistakes are made.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:15 AM   #7
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The sticker which reads "Jack Point" also has an arrow on it, and the arrow is pointing at the actual jack point which sits slightly inward of the sticker. It's a diamond-shaped piece of aluminum which is riveted to the belly pain directly over the frame.

In my opinion, this is the most poorly-designed way to indicate where the jack point is, especially since the arrow on the stickers is thin and hard to detect once a little road dirt is present on the stickers.

I've successfully used the actual jacking points numerous times to lift the tires off the ground. I put a small block of wood which is about the same width as the frame rail between the jack and the jack point, as this focuses the pressure of the jack directly against the frame rail. Otherwise, the cup on the end of the jack is wider than the jack point and contacts the aluminum belly pan, potentially causing damage.

My trailer came to me with scars of misplaced jacks from the past, indicating that someone tried to jack using the stickers themselves as the jack point instead of the actual jack point. Those stickers should be at the jack points themselves, or better yet just stamp the wording in the aluminum diamonds riveted to the belly pan so no mistakes are made.
Thanks Richard, I did not see an arrow on the sticker, but it became apparent immediately that the sticker spot was not going to work. The other (curb) side just had the riveted metal diamond, so I had them try that. It might have worked if it was a bottle type jack with a 2Ē diameter shaft that was doing the lifting. The DT jack was a big floor jack with 4Ē or more diameter at the lift point. It caused metal to collapse also. Plus thereís a propane line going across it. (Street side). The DT guy just wanted to use the axle, said heíd done tires on airstreams before, but I had always heard not to use the axle. So I decided on the frame holding the axle. Our AS is lifted. His floor jacks were barely long enough.
Thanks again. Iím pretty sure no damage was done.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:20 AM   #8
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I've had new tires put on my dual-axle trailer at my local Discount Tire twice now. Both times they were happy to have me raise my trailer on a stack of leveling blocks, freeing them from having to jack up the trailer.
They were in a big hurry. Quite an operation actually. I brought up the ramp, it was in the back of the truck. They wanted to do all 4 tires at once. It worked well with 4 jacks. I did take off the tension bars on my hitch. I was thinking jacking up the trailer wouldnít be good with the bars in place, as far as front end separation goes. They were very thorough and very careful. He came back out and used a torque wrench on every lug nut. Out in the middle of the parking lot. On a cold windy day. Luckily the rain stopped when I pulled in.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Yep.
Yep X2 on jacking the frame supporting the axles. Works fine.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thanks Richard, I did not see an arrow on the sticker, but it became apparent immediately that the sticker spot was not going to work. The other (curb) side just had the riveted metal diamond, so I had them try that. It might have worked if it was a bottle type jack with a 2” diameter shaft that was doing the lifting. The DT jack was a big floor jack with 4” or more diameter at the lift point. It caused metal to collapse also. Plus there’s a propane line going across it. (Street side). The DT guy just wanted to use the axle, said he’d done tires on airstreams before, but I had always heard not to use the axle. So I decided on the frame holding the axle. Our AS is lifted. His floor jacks were barely long enough.
Thanks again. I’m pretty sure no damage was done.
Yeah, you got them to do it right.

Jacking on the axle is how you adjust the alignment, in a bad way.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
I lift using the frame at a point between the wheels. On the road, my hydraulic bottle jack has enough lifting height to get the tandem wheels off the ground, something it can’t do using the factory jack point, which requires a much greater lifting height. (Note, I us the term lifting height for a bottle jack to indicate the distance the piston travels from its fully retracted position to its fully extended position.)

To protect the frame rail by spreading the load of the small diameter head of the bottle jack, I purchased a 2 1/2" to 2” receiver adapter (6” long 2 1/2" OD steel square tube with 1/4" walls) which I place between the jack and the frame rail. Since the fresh water tank extends below the bottom of the frame rail at this point, the extra 2 1/2" also allows me to clear the bottom of the fresh water tank and properly center the saddle of my floor jack when working at home.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
I have my AS inside my own bldg so it’s a simple matter for me to jack it up using the axle support framework. I use jack stands beneath the frame for safety and remove the wheels and take them in to the tire store for any changes or balancing needs.

While the wheels are off, I slide the drums off, inspect/adjust the brakes and repack the bearings.

This is not a difficult job and for less than the charges made for a brake inspection, one can purchase a floor jack, jack stands, and a roll of paper towels and enjoy the personal knowledge it was done right. (Having worked as a young man as a mechanic and knowing how easy this job really is and what they charge for it makes me reluctant to let anyone else do this job on my stuff. It’s not a matter of money. It’s a matter of competence and care.)

I keep a logbook, the ‘08 AS is coming up on 30K miles and, judging by the remaining brake-lining, it’s first complete brake system overhaul/replacement is likely this spring. I plan to replace the drums and entire brake assys and expect to spend about $400 (single axle). The parts will come from Amazon or e-trailer and the local parts store.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I also agree. First, you can see it without laying on the ground. Then, if it's strong enough to support the weight of the trailer on the axles, it's strong enough for a jack.
However, my nearest Discount Tire absolutely refused to use anything except the jack under the axles, resulting in me driving away and them missing $1K sale. In the past, I just pointed and they were happy to jack where I pointed.
New Manager swore it was corporate policy. It's not.
It became laughable when I said, "So you're telling me your corporate policy forbids you from jacking where the Airstream says 'jack here'?
"Yes."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I also agree. First, you can see it without laying on the ground. Then, if it's strong enough to support the weight of the trailer on the axles, it's strong enough for a jack.
However, my nearest Discount Tire absolutely refused to use anything except the jack under the axles, resulting in me driving away and them missing $1K sale. In the past, I just pointed and they were happy to jack where I pointed.
New Manager swore it was corporate policy. It's not.
It became laughable when I said, "So you're telling me your corporate policy forbids you from jacking where the Airstream says 'jack here'?
"Yes."
I have found DT to be very responsive to customer concerns. You might do all of us a favor if youíll report this to corporate so they can educate your local store. Thx.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I have found DT to be very responsive to customer concerns. You might do all of us a favor if youíll report this to corporate so they can educate your local store. Thx.
I think he posted this issue with DT before, as I recall. I did ask my DT guys when I went in last year to get my new Endurance if this was corp. policy, and was told they "Recommend" where to jack, comes from Corp.; but they also do what customer asks...at least they did for me here in Georgetown!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:24 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Yep, the guy that did my new tires at DT was setting up on the axle when I stopped him. Said he’d used that point before, on an AS. But he was fine with any suggestions I made. My first two were big misses. On the sticker was not good at all. Just caving in. My second choice was the metal diamond. It really didn’t do much better. We could still see the under cover buckling. So, the frame axle suppport was my last chance, and it worked fine. I don’t know why AS has that sticker and diamond underneath and behind the wheels.
I did get a text from Bill Thomas, the local AS dealer that my trailer was ready to be picked up. I hope I would have been notified if there was a problem, or any additional work was needed. I’m going to be quail hunting for the next several days. I’ll find out next week if the brakes checked out alright.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #17
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Just as a follow up. In case anyone is following this thread. I took my 2020 25GT over to the local AS dealer after I got the new tires. I took it in for a brake inspection.
The dealer found that wires to both sides of the front axle were not connected. So Iíve just been using the rear axle for braking. Not sure how long those wires have been disconnected. Iím pretty sure when I had the lift installed a few years ago, they were fine. So, now I have better braking. A little embarrassing I didnít catch this myself.