Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Memphis , Tennessee
Electric stabilizers

I just brought home my 2018 Tommy Bahama and only the front stabilizer will extend. The rear one does nothing when the button is pressed. I've checked fuses and breakers and I am plugged in to AC. Before I drag it back to the RV center, does anyone have any ideas? They move freely when I use the manual crank. Thanks.

Debbie from Memphis
Drichers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Did you call the dealer’s service dept for advice? They should be all over this. Failing that, call AS corporate customer service on Monday. What a terrible first experience with a brand new trailer. [emoji15]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Drichers,

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2018 Tommy Bahama. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Did the rear jacks work when you did your orientation?
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Memphis , Tennessee
I called Airstream yesterday. He was unsure where the fuses for the stabilizers are located. I am still trying to get that information. The manual has very little info on the stabilizers. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #6

You might be well-served by trying the following:
(1) answer the question above as to whether you saw these rear power jacks work during your orientation
(2) call the specific number provided above by the Airstream rep
(3) call your dealer and chat with their service department
(4) share here what you learn so we all have a better idea what’s going on and can hopefully provide better information.

FYI, in our trailer with manual jacks, DC fuses are in the main fuse box. Is it possible that one of those fuses controls power to your jacks and has blown? Is anything else in the trailer obviously without power?

Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drichers View Post
I called Airstream yesterday. He was unsure where the fuses for the stabilizers are located. I am still trying to get that information. The manual has very little info on the stabilizers. Any help would be appreciated.
See post 3.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I had to go online to print the owners manual for the Lippert electric jacks.
It details how to operate them manually if needed and refers to a 6 amp in-line automatic reset circuit breaker. It should reset in 10 seconds. Also talks about individual motor leads. Not to much detail on locations of these items. You may want to search for this on line.

Rick
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Memphis , Tennessee
Yes, the jacks worked perfectly at the RV center. I called the number and extension that is listed for AS and I called the dealership. Both were unsure of the location of the stabilizer fuses/breakers. Everything else inside and outside of the trailer are working properly. I decided to try the rear stabilizer again yesterday just for kicks. It worked! There must be a resetting breaker as mentioned above. I did find a removable panel in the under belly right beside the rear stabilizers.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #10

Glad to hear it's working again, but if you're like me, you hate it when things mysteriously stop working and then start working again - both for no reason. So, while it's not a crisis at the moment, definitely worth starting a list of things you want your dealer to investigate next time you are in for warranty service, and putting this issue at the top of that list.

FYI, as you use your brand new trailer, you will almost certainly find other things you want them to investigate, adjust, or fix, all under warranty. One of the things you absolutely must ask them to do before six months are up is to do a complete inspection of every exterior seam on your trailer to ensure everything is properly caulked, sealed and watertight. The factory warranty on these seals is only six months, so do not let that period expire without a proper inspection. Once they inspect within that six month window, they will repair anything they find, under warranty. After that, inspection and maintenance of all seals is on you and your wallet.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Auto leveling jacks....motorized awnings...whats the AS world coming to! I think we have enough "issues" with the standard appliances and batteries that come with our AS's...I prefer the manual awnings...can extend or retract (for wind) easily in a couple minutes. Same with the leveling jacks, using a lightweight power drill I'm set up or ready to roll in just a few minutes. Just saying.... :-)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Glad to hear it's working again, but if you're like me, you hate it when things mysteriously stop working and then start working again - both for no reason. So, while it's not a crisis at the moment, definitely worth starting a list of things you want your dealer to investigate next time you are in for warranty service, and putting this issue at the top of that list.

FYI, as you use your brand new trailer, you will almost certainly find other things you want them to investigate, adjust, or fix, all under warranty. One of the things you absolutely must ask them to do before six months are up is to do a complete inspection of every exterior seam on your trailer to ensure everything is properly caulked, sealed and watertight. The factory warranty on these seals is only six months, so do not let that period expire without a proper inspection. Once they inspect within that six month window, they will repair anything they find, under warranty. After that, inspection and maintenance of all seals is on you and your wallet.

Thank you! How did you find out about the 6 month seal warranty? I don’t see anything about it in the manual. Good to know.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Auto leveling jacks....motorized awnings...whats the AS world coming to! I think we have enough "issues" with the standard appliances and batteries that come with our AS's...I prefer the manual awnings...can extend or retract (for wind) easily in a couple minutes. Same with the leveling jacks, using a lightweight power drill I'm set up or ready to roll in just a few minutes. Just saying.... :-)

I agree with you! My 1959 FAN has no frills. Something to be said for that for sure.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drichers View Post
Thank you! How did you find out about the 6 month seal warranty? I don’t see anything about it in the manual. Good to know.

Experience, that’s how. Ask your dealer, I am confident they will confirm this for you.