Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
albany , California
Electric jack broke, we are on the road, ADVICE!?:)

Hi Guys, Well, I broke something in the jack. It wasn't working (no power) so i took off the top assembly and managed to activate it, it was all the way retracted and i heard a loud snap. Now the jack dropped it slides up and down by hand.

Can I repair this on the road?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers from El Capitan camp ground just north of Santa Barbara.

Skyler-
schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
A lot of people end up replacing their jack completely when the stock one breaks. I believe the stock one has some sort of plastic piece that typically fails but I’m not 100% sure of the internals and if that’s what failed for you.

To replace, it’s pretty straight forward. Three bolts hold it to the frame. Hope this helps point you in the right direction and gets the conversation going with the people on the forum

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
You're going to need a new jack. It sounds like the screw mechanism in the leg has snapped and it would cost more to repair than to replace. You're best work around is to use a bottle jack under the trailer tongue to lift it high enough to get the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle. You might be close enough to an RV dealer to buy another tongue jack and install it but that's not always possible. The bottle jack will get you home and one can be purchased at any auto supply or big box store. The bottle jack will need some wood blocks or other suitable items under it to get the tongue high enough to get hitched up. Be really careful so you don't get hurt! If you're unsure, call a tow truck to lift the trailer for you. They have the equipment and know how to do the job.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good advice in the last post IMO.

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuyler View Post
Hi Guys, Well, I broke something....

Can I repair this on the road?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Skyler-
Go to an auto parts store, buy a heavy duty scissor jack, hitch up and when you get home buy a Husky.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-12-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Get a Husky Jack. Amazon carries them. I had a situation and got the replacement in a couple of days. Easy to replace and works much better than stock.

Husky HB4500 4500 lbs. Brute Power Jack, Hammer Gray Finish
Roll over image to zoom in
Husky HB4500 4500 lbs. Brute Power Jack, Hammer Gray Finish
Visit the Husky Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 1,125 ratings | 117 answered questions
5% off Lowest price in 30 days
Was: $246.22
Price: $232.93
You Save: $13.29 (5%)
Get $70 off instantly: Pay $162.93 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.
Not eligible for Amazon Prime. Available with free Prime shipping from other sellers on Amazon.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Same thing happened to us several years ago, 700 miles from home. Bought a floor jack at an Ace Hardware store and with creative use of a couple of blocks of wood we continued the trip. The jack came in handy over the years.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
be careful

post #3 is a great suggestion, I will just emphasize no matter how you decide to raise the tongue (what jack method) be very careful, and be sure the wheels are chocked. There will be much less stability where you lift the tongue and the more you build up a base (via wood blocks or similar) the more you need to be careful with that aspect. The standard tongue jack does have some stability, it is rigid/stiff, but the use of a bottle jack won't be nearly as stable, it might easily tip/slip. Also be careful about too much force against the tongue (in any direction) once it is jacked up. If its on your tow vehicle ball, when you change the electric jack, then you will have near perfect stability but less working room. Be careful.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I had the same thing happen to me while on a multi-location longer trip. I just used the jack that came with the truck and a lot of those yellow lego blocks I happened to have. I did order a new replacement electric jack (under warranty) while on the road and had it delivered to an RV park I had planned to stay awhile about a week ahead in our travels.

A busted jack is a pain for sure. Camping World carries jacks in stock too. Its not too hard to replace a jack. The job is best done while the trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Get your bottle jack out...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
I used my truck’s jack to get out of a bind and get hitched up in a remote place once before replacing jack (less expensive than I thought). It would not have won any safety awards but I was super cautious about where I put any important body parts, and it did the job.
Czarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarina View Post
I used my truck’s jack to get out of a bind and get hitched up in a remote place once before replacing jack (less expensive than I thought). It would not have won any safety awards but I was super cautious about where I put any important body parts, and it did the job.

Innovate, adapt and overcome.

Well done.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
All jacks use the same bolt pattern, (3) 3/8 x 24 bolts on 3" centers.
Even if you need to convert to a manual jack, you can to save the trip. I used the dinky jack that came with the Tundra and a stack of wood.
Finally, I swapped to the Husky 5000 for about the same cost as any lesser jack. (RV Upgrade store has the best price, $258)
Here's an inexpensive manual jack, $35 at Home Depot, but not in stock. I'd be searching boat dealers and trailer suppliers for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra-fab-products-trailer-jacks-49-954031-64_1000.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	390604  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Yup, that's exactly what happened to me in an RV Park at the foot of Mt. St. Helens. Fortunately, I had a bottle jack, which got me home. I then researched and found a Husky 5000, which I bought and installed. No problems with raising/lowering the tongue since then. Great jack. I recommend it. Approx. $250.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #15

2007 Base Camp
Fort Collins , Colorado
Personally, I would be very hesitant to use a bottle jack for this purpose. Typically they have very small footprints which limits their stability. Unless the ground is solid (like pavement), very little or no slope, and quite smooth the risk of the jack tipping is real.
Campers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
If heading straight home and you just need to hitch up then the TV’s scissor jack will do...so will the bottle jack although it is likely less stable.

However, if you have other stops on your trip then the bottle jack and scissor jack probably won’t do the trick. You can’t safely level the trailer front-to-back. But the manual jacks are cheap enough to be a throw-away and relatively easy to find at a big box store or a trailer shop.

I have a question: should we all replace our destined-to-fail OEM jacks with the Husky?
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
You're going to need a new jack. It sounds like the screw mechanism in the leg has snapped and it would cost more to repair than to replace. You're best work around is to use a bottle jack under the trailer tongue to lift it high enough to get the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle. You might be close enough to an RV dealer to buy another tongue jack and install it but that's not always possible. The bottle jack will get you home and one can be purchased at any auto supply or big box store. The bottle jack will need some wood blocks or other suitable items under it to get the tongue high enough to get hitched up. Be really careful so you don't get hurt! If you're unsure, call a tow truck to lift the trailer for you. They have the equipment and know how to do the job.
I carry a bottle jack for two reasons. 1) Our first AS was a single axle and I needed a jack should I need to change a tire. 2) The only jack otherwise available was the scissor jack in my TV and access required unhitching to get the lift gate open. I must admit I would not have thought (well, LIKELY would not have thought) about using it in this scenario!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The other consideration when the jack is running again is to carry a block of wood to put under the foot. Reason? The more you extend the tube, the more likely it might jam. All it takes is for the trailer to roll an inch or two.
I keep the foot in the highest position, then I made a block.
(2) 3/4" x 12" x 12" ply with a 2" x 4" frame on the sides and center. I added a rope pull and a handle on the side to aid in picking it up or centering it. That gives me 5" under the foot before the tube has to move at all! I'm going to make another same dimensions except with 2" x 6". That will make it 7" tall. I'm not sure it will fit under the jack though.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Speed of the Jack

One consideration when comparing jacks would be the Speed.
I found the Stromberg Carlson 5000 to be way slower than I expected.

Has anyone seen a big speed difference with their replacement.

I would not want to be standing in the rain waiting on the Stromberg.

Another consideration is the Noise.
When trying to get a very early start for a long drive day, I worry when there is a tent camper in the next spot. The original Barker was a screamer.
This Stromberg is very quiet.

I wish I had statistical comparisons between the Husky 4500, Husky 5000 and the Stompberg 5000 on speed and noise.
Add a third variable: Which ones use the roller ball-bearing designs?
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
GeeSag,

Sorry I don't have any of the data for speed, noise etc. But I'm over 8 years into a Husky 4500 w/o any issues. It is quieter than many lots quieter than the old one but speed might also be affected by battery voltage and the actual load being lifted.

I was sold on the ball screw design and it's lifted my 30' Classic and hooked up the bars every time. I'm appreciating the reliability.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote