Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 06:34 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
120 seconds 12 inches travel

I measured the Stromberg Carlson 5000
under just the load of the trailer tongue weight. No Tow Vehicle attached.

Down 6 inches and back up 6 inches
120 seconds.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:50 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
OK, I need a bit more caffeine this morning

Ok, I need more electrons flowing through me, says the Stromberg.

Make that 1 minute 20 seconds.

80 seconds not 120.

It would help to actually bring the phone inside after taking the measurement and looking at it again before typing a blog post.

Then the Stromberg said, "Lets see you get down and do a push up old man and we will time that!"
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Husky 5000 is slower, or so I'm told. I can't tell.
If it's raining go stand under the awning and use the remote!
It does not use a worm gear, but rather recirculating ball bearings.
I thought the remote was a gimmick until I discovered I could level it while sitting at the table. I wondered if the neighbors worried that my jack had a mind of it's own.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
We had Husky 5000 installed last spring. The original jack on our 2015 was misbehaving.

We have a Pro Pride hitch and wanted beefier jack since we raise the truck and trailer as we dial in weight distribution jacks.

The 5000 is slower but I really like the fob. My wife adjusts the level from inside while I get stuff done outside. I'd buy it again if I had to.

Jeffrey
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
When I had to replace my original jack I went with the Phoenix from Ultra-Fab for a few reasons:

- Has both positive and negative wires for connecting to the batteries, so no more worrying about the negative connection to the frame.

- Fast travel speed. At the time I got the 4000 which is rated to travel 10 in 18 seconds.

- It comes with pre-drilled holes to mount normal or sideways. I needed it to be sideways to clear my tailgate.

I've been very happy with it now for almost 4 years. The newest model may not be as fast, but it has some new features (auto-extend/auto-retract) that sound interesting, it comes with a remote, and it's rated for 5500 lbs.

AUTO-EXTEND: Allows user to extend the jack leg to the ground without having to continually press and hold the Extend button. This is especially helpful when detaching RV from tow vehicle.
1. Initiate Auto-Extend by pressing the Extend Button quickly two times. The jack will extend to the ground and stop.
2. For whatever reason, the Auto-Extend can be cancelled by pressing any other button.

AUTO-RETRACT: Allows user to retract jack leg without having to press and hold the Retract button. This is especially helpful when user wants to attach RV to tow vehicle.
1. Initiate Auto-Retract by pressing the Retract Button quickly two times. The jack will retract to the top limit and stop.
2. For whatever reason, the Auto-Retract can be cancelled by pressing any other button.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #26
Finally retired

2018 30' Classic
Vienna , Virginia
busted jack

We had the power jack completely freeze up while out on road. It would not move even with the manual handle. A gentleman in the campground had a large hydraulic jack, which enabled us to lift the trailer enough to remove the power jack. We stopped at the first WalMart on the road and bought TWO heavy duty bottle jacks and two jack stands. For rest of trip we used them in tandem, with the jack stands as insurance. They are now part of our equipment that travels with us. We used 2x6 boards as spanners. Be careful to not damage battery box and propane lines
We already had an appointment at JC in a few weeks for some minor warranty work, so contacted them. JC replaced it and so far works fine.

I agree with those who recommend carrying back-up bottle jacks. They are not too big and do not add excessive weight. Good trade-off "insurance" IMO.
John W Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #27
Bob

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
Id head to tractor supply and pick up a manual jack. I would not use any which was not attached to the trailer if I could avoid it, and I would really avoid doing it more than once. Its just too easy to miss something and watch a little problem turn into a big one.

And then Id go get a Husky. I have the 4500 and love it.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #28
DEAN

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
NSB , Florida
If your electric jack is done.

Get a Bigfoot hydraulic. They make one for airstream s very easy to install. Never worry of a jack breaking down ever again. Dean
Ekonomou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Tongue jack problems

I recommend always carrying a compact floor jack. We have used and loaned ours numerously for several applications. We replaced our electric jack with a stronger one from a stock trailer maker.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
As long as you have it hitched to your TV, you can change it out with using any jacks.

John
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangepod View Post
As long as you have it hitched to your TV, you can change it out with using any jacks. John
THIS!

We had a tongue jack fail on us a few years ago; using the aux crank got REALLY old, REALLY fast. Pulled out the phone and started looking for RV dealers, to see if there was one on our way. YES! Drove in and parked, told them our situation. Bought a new one and they were kind enough to install it for us - especially since they had all the right tools at hand.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
My OEM power jack started to misbehave, its 6+ yrs old and I took the proactive path and replaced it with a Husky 4500 (many thanks to all the posters that have preceeded me in this endeavor for sharing the recommendation, and the tips). It really was easy, although I was a little slow so it took me several hours. The only surprise, and the reason I made this post to warn others, was when I removed the base plate (circular plate) from the bottom of the jack post, I got a big dose of hydraulic oil, all over my nice clean concrete. I was not expecting that, not prepared for that, so for those of you that go this replacement route yourself, be prepared for some oil to leak out. Best you have a large rag/towel or scrap piece of plywood underneath, before you start.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote