Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Remember that fuses should be located to afford maximum protection to the wiring and components that the wire feeds. When I re-did my battery box to accept the 220 amp/hour Lifeline golf cart batteries, I moved the fuse for the jack right into the battery box and changed the fuse type to a blade type 30 amp maxi fuse in a water-proof casing.

Also added wire loom to the +12VDC wire supplying power to the jack to prevent what happened to you. Just another 'shortcut' that Airstream takes when there are other, safer methods to wire a high-amp component like a jack.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is a piece of advice that some may find unhelpful. However I believe it is the best thing you could do right now.

Apparently you are not knowledgeable or experienced with working on 12 volt wiring. There is nothing wrong with this, except that it makes it difficult to utilize long distance troubleshooting help.

You do not need an Airstream Dealer to fix your problem. You simply need someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with Auto or RV wiring to help you.

It looks to me like something is not right with the way the wiring is done in your trailer. There should not be anything wired directly to the battery without a fuse or circuit breaker to protect the wire from the type of damage in your picture.

In my 2010 trailer there is nothing attached directly to the battery posts except the battery cables.

I would strongly suggest that you find someone local to you who can help you figure out what is actually going on.

If you still have your trailer manual, there should be a 12 volt wiring diagram in it. With that and a knowledgeable helper, you should be able to get this fixed in a very short time.

If necessary, use the jack crank that came with your trailer to operate the jack so you can tow it to any nearby RV or trailer repair place.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Apparently these jacks are not all wired alike. Mine has a wire directly on the battery terminal like the O.P., then it passes under the A-frame where it has an in-line fuse, then up past the propane cover (where it pinches and shorts out) to the jack switch. Lousy routing by factory.

I wouldn't move the in-line fuse inside the battery box though, because it could spark when it blows and ignite any hydrogen gas escaping from the batteries.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote