Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Confused on Jacking the 22'

I need to replace the tires on our "new to us" trailer. I wanted to take the tires off myself so that I would have the opportunity to inspect brakes, bearings etc. Now I don't know how to safely jack up this little trailer.

I've read several forum posts and my manual about jacking the Airstream. I've learned never to jack using the axel tubes. My manual says there is a welded jacking plate and decal rear of the tires. I've looked -- there is none.

The attached photos show some of the underside. Aft of the tires there is nothing but the c-frame and, as I've learned, a very vulnerable underbelly that is basically just the floor.

In the second picture I found a possible spot to jack which is basically the frame that is adjacent to and above the axel. Do you think this is solid enough to jack up the trailer there? Should I try to call the (1-880) Airstream number to get help?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1496.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	44013   Click image for larger version

Name:	1498.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	44014  

TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Do not jack anywhere under the belly pan!!! Place a bottle jack under the axle mounting plates and lift there. This is the best place not to bend anything and will be an easy spot to lift. Please though SAFETY first, lift one side at a time and place chocks on the other side, also put a couple jack stands under the plate as well. We need you alive.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
What is the axle mounting plate?

Thanks for the input. Now next question. What exactly is the axle mounting plate? See my attached photo. Should I try to put the bottle jack at point #2 in order to lift?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AxlePlate.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	44016  
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
The axle mounting plate is the "plate" that the axles bolt to, it has the cut outs for the axle tube in it probably 3/16 to 1/4" thick.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP
Thanks for the input. Now next question. What exactly is the axle mounting plate? See my attached photo. Should I try to put the bottle jack at point #2 in order to lift? Thanks
Yes, point #2 would work as it is directly under the "C" channel frame rail. Your arrow points to the axle mounting bracket that is welded to the square axle tube. The axle mounting plate is directly behind (to the inside of) the axle mounting bracket; it is the vertical plate on the inside of your frame rails that the axle mounting bracket bolts to. Happy lifting!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
_

. , .
look for the diamond shaped bit of skin....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...eam-18435.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I must not be understanding something about jacking up ASs...I have read as much as I can about this...(and I'm sure most are tired of talking about it)...but still I am confused...

I understand that the easiest way to take a tire off is to not use a jack at all, but to back one of the tandem tires onto riser blocks, thereby raising the tire that is to be removed...

But if that is not an option (as in having only one axel or needing to remove all the tires on one side at the same time) one should jack up the AS using the axel mounting plates (not the axel)...as opposed to what the AS manual says to use, that is, the jack points that are supposed to be labeled...which in our Bambi's case, is about 1/2 the way between the axel and the back bumper.

Why do so many say using the "AS sancntioned" jack points is less desireable? I don't mean to be contrary...I just want to understand.

Thanks for understanding,
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
...Why do so many say using the "AS sancntioned" jack points is less desireable?...
if they can raise a 34 at those points...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/428907-post42.html

you can raise bambi there.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
if they can raise a 34 at those points...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/428907-post42.html

you can raise bambi there.

cheers
2air'
2air'...

I was hoping to hear from you on this... THANK YOU for your definitive resolution of this point in my head. The designated AS jack points it is!

I can sleep better tonight...finally...knowing the proper way to jack up the Bambi...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
There is no "diamond"

I looked for the "diamond" bit of skin behind the rear wheel and could not find it. Neither is there any decal or marking. As you can see in my original photo post (#1), The tank takes up most of the under belly space. The main frame "Girder" is covered by the tank. There's a cross "c" metal girder that's open for possible jacking, but it looks just too light weight. Anyone out there with a 22' constructed like mine?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Jack point on my AS

I have wondered about this too.... where to jack? See the attached photo. Do I place the jack under the "diamond?" Seems pretty obvious, but I want to know for sure. I have a hydraulic jack that I could use.

George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jack point sm..jpg
Views:	243
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	44025  
ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Maybe you will get lucky.
On our old 79 Ambassador, I followed one of those stickers under the belly pan and punched a neat jack shaped circle thru the sheet metal. After patching, I only use the axel mounting plate between the wheels. It is a nice thick piece of structural steel.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
What the Dealer Said

Well, I decided to go see the local Airstream Dealer (Austin/Buda Texas). Not the biggest in the world, but it's what we got. Although, I'm a used trailer owner, my trailer originated from this dealer. I talked to service guy. He said "Jack it up from the frame". My immediate question was "Where on the Frame?", He said: "Right there where the axle is. That's where we do it". Seemed like he meant the "knife edge" of the frame where the axle is mounted. I was worried that that place might not allow much stability for the jack. Kind of like, it might allow the unit to "wobble". I thought you needed a flat surface for the head of the jack to push on.

In any case, I guess I have enough guidance now to make a safe attempt to jack this l'il trailer. I will make sure it's well chocked. I will get a good assortment of jack stands available. I will get the hydraulic bottle jack from the garage and then start lifting.

ON A SEPARATE NOTE: Did anyone notice that I don't have any metal covering on the bottom of my trailer? I'm still trying to understand that. Maybe it was built that way? I'll need to start another thread to get some answers. Do I need that belly metal?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Maybe you will get lucky.
On our old 79 Ambassador, I followed one of those stickers under the belly pan and punched a neat jack shaped circle thru the sheet metal. After patching, I only use the axel mounting plate between the wheels. It is a nice thick piece of structural steel.
Our "63" 22' Safari shed it's wheels every Buffalo winter for 18 years, and I used that same point every year without a problem. Good heavy stands held up well with several coats of paint once in awhile.>>Not sure about the belly pan, but I don't recall seeing an A/S without one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STREAM'N ON RT.66.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	44050  
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatfield
I have wondered about this too.... where to jack? See the attached photo. Do I place the jack under the "diamond?" Seems pretty obvious, but I want to know for sure. I have a hydraulic jack that I could use.

George
I raise mine all the time using the 'jacking point' shown in this post. It is actually located right under the frame. I use a 6" X 6" piece of lexan under it for protection with a bottle jack, then use a jack stand under the axle mounting bracket for safety. Never had any distortion or slippage!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote