Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Englehart , Ontario
Call me dumb

New to me 1975 Overlander. The front road side leveler had been ripped off I assume by some driving away with it down. Now parked in my yard, and I've been working on different things, and I think I should support the spot where there is no jack. I put a scissor jack under it with a 2x10, up against the body and begin to turn the jack. The airstream groans and creaks, and I'm happy that the corner is being supported
A couple days later I notice the skin has warped on the front corner where I put the jack. I quickly let off the hack, but the skin still has a wow in it. Crap. Now what can I do?
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
A few comments which may help explain the situation,

Those aren't "levelers", they're "stabilizers". Practically all the weight of the trailer should be borne by the wheels and the tongue jack. You level the trailer, if necessary, side to side by putting spacers under the wheels on the low side and fore-and-aft with the tongue jack.

The purpose of the stabilizers is to keep the trailer from rocking too much on the suspension due to weight shifts such as people walking around in the trailer or activities such as the subject of this thread, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...eam-86208.html

As you have learned to your dismay, never jack an Airstream without determining a safe jack point, bearing on the frame. On earlier Airstreams jack points were indicated by two or three inch squares of aluminum riveted to the bottom under the frame.

It sounds like you may have warped the shell a little. If it's not too noticeable you might be able to ignore it, and it might work itself out in a few thousand miles. If it's too noticeable to ignore you should probably take the trailer to a knowledgeable Airstream repair facility and ask their advice.

Good luck!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bow in skin

Northlander, You may have a bent or broken outrigger due to lifting the trailer improperly. It could also be the main frame is damaged. If you cannot live with the bow in the skin you will have to check this area and have it repaired. Sorry to say unless you can do it yourself it will require someone with trailer repair expertise. A frame or welding shop may be able to repair it. It will most likely require the belly skin to be removed in the damaged area to repair the frame/outrigger. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote