Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Indian Rocks Beach , Florida
Auto Leveling Options for Travel Trailers

I am on my second RV. First was a Class C and now much happier in my Airstream Globetrotter 25FB. I've never had auto leveling but sure would love it. It would make the set up time at a site so much easier and quicker. Especially when I'm doing one night stays. I came across the Lippert system for travel trailers "Ground Control TT kit". I emailed them and they said it only works on TT's that have an I-Beam frame. I'm not savvy enough to know if Airstreams have that or not.

That said, does anyone have an auto leveling system on their Airstream? If so, which system? Do you like it?

Thank you advance...

Scott
ortsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I have an 'auto leveling' system made by Mr & Mrs. Burke.🤔

Bob Cross
Sandra Burke.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
No auto level as above me and the better half, but we do use tools to make it easier, cordless drill with torque set, levelmate pro app on the phone which tells me trailer level on the fly, and snap pads so I don’t need to use blocks if I don’t want. We are currently on a paved pad site basic set up took less than 10 minutes. Trailer level, chocked (both rubber and x chock) and stabilized.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
A lot of travel trailers have an I-beam frame, but Airstream does not use an I-beam.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Saint Augustine , Florida
Wish AS had that option.

Completely support the need and desire.

We have become really good at it leveling, but still a pain at night, inclement weather etc especially as you say for the one night stays. My wife is pretty certain rain clouds follow us knowing we have to make camp...

I'd pay for it, if available from AS.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Had a Class A MH for about 3 years and during that time had to replace all 4 hydraulic jacks at different times. The electric or hydraulic jacks are subject to fail. Never had a problem leveling my Airstream manually in 6 years of owning 2 travel trailers and many sites leveling was not needed anyway. I use the Anderson levelers and with a little practice they become easy to use.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Watching "the neighbors" at various campsites struggle with auto leveling ... there are some systems out there that are problematic. Just why is a bit unclear. The owners shout pretty loud at them ... that doesn't seem to make them work any better

As mentioned above, if you want any sort of auto leveling setup, a 5th wheel is what you want to shop for. Their typical frame construction lends it's self to "corner jacks". That's what you need for auto leveling ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
RV 4 Level Pro, beachLane Blocks and a cordless drill all in the exxpert hands of the Boss works for me!!
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Manu-Al leveling is "who" we use, also...

4th AS and I agree it takes some time occasionally to get it right; "need one more leggo, hon" she says every now and then; but not that often..she is usually right on first "guestimate"...my friend who just sold his Lance for a new 28' FC like ours, had the "whole enchilada" with his 2019 Lance 28', including the power leveling, power step, power awnings, power bed...but I digress... We camped together this past summer few weeks in different locations; Goose Island, TX, Tetons, Glacier...each time I was set up and level before he was, and I was enjoying my beer. It seemed like a great time saver to me at first, but in fact did take some effort/time to get it level each time. Maybe because we just take a quick "swagger" look at the level, "guestimate" how many blocks needed, and back on or pull on to them and we are done?

I had a guy across from us couple years back in Glacier with a 25' AS who had added auto-levelers from somewhere...he also said they were a pain; not sure why he felt that way, but they also did stick out when folded up on all 4 corners; they were "sissor" type jacks with a screw type cylinder inside..never really saw how/where exactly they were attached to the AS.

When I watch the MH's they seem to have this all automated from inside the cab with sensors. But even so, if on uneven terrain, it takes a bit of time to get it right vs just pulling one side of my AS up on some leggo blocks and adjusting the front power jack, then getting the drill to deploy the stabilizers. My wife is the "auto leveling" authority on how many blocks are needed!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yeah Airstream's frames are not I Beam. They are more compliant to match the flex of the body and help reduce creases in the Aluminum sheets. However this makes the frame rails susceptible to buckling and excessive flex which puts stress and causes strain in body components if the stabilizers are over tightened.

It is important to note the stabilizers, though they are made of jack components, are not jacks and are not intended to level or lift the Airstream chassis even a 1/4 inch because of the considerations mentioned above.

So don't put leveling jacks of any kind on an airstream.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
We have a single axle Bambi and use a BAL Level. It’s super easy to set up trailer with it.
TinShanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
2X Levelmate Pro and wedges

The Levelmate Pro changed everything for us. Pop the installed unit "on" then join the app - instant indication of which side needs the leveling wedges; back up until the lights are green on the app display, set the chocks and do what you will for front-back level.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It is a fantastic gadget and app. I agree.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
5X Levelmate Pro

Auto leveling sure would be a nice feature! We are pretty quick at set up ( the Levelmate saves us a few minutes) but I often think how nice it would be to just push a button. On the Class A's we rented before our purchase of our AS, they all had the auto level feature. Of the 4 or 5 we have rented only 1 has worked as intended. We always ended up over riding the system to get level or camped off level.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We've trailered for years and have watched those with auto leveling systems work, jealously I might add. But, we purchased some Anderson Levellers (the half moon type) and between those and a couple of cheap stick on levels we are now able to "git 'er don" really quickly and easily.

We scope the site and decide where the trailer goes, put the moons (double axle) out behind the low side and one of us slowly backs up while the other watches the side to side level. No need to calculate how many legos or blocks you will need, no longer stuck between too much and too little...just a holler of "stop" when it is right. Chock the wheels, do the front-back level as the truck is unhitched and suddenly we are in competition with those automatic folks for being done.

Put all the legos and blocks up for adoption! If you are a solo traveler, the purchase of a remote leveling indicator (works with your phone) maks it a one person job.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I use a level mate pro. It works with an app on your phone. It tells you which side to place your leveling wedges, then notifies you when you reach “0”. Works great!!!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #17
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I use a LevelMate Pro and Andersen Leveling Chocks. It's quite simple and quick to level port to starboard, and I use the tongue jack to level fore and aft.
https://logicbluetech.com/levelmatepro/
https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...d_asin_1_title
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I use very long Craftsman leveler to help me with leveling the Flying Cloud. when I get to the site, I get the Looooooong leveler and used it to determine if the site is level or not. if not, I would need to figure out how many Lynx leveler blocks under tire. Recently at Lake Pleasant, AZ, I had to use 7 Lynx blocks for one tire and rubber chocks. I NEVER use stabilizer to level but to stabilize. The stabilizer is not a leveler. The Lynx blocks are used to level the Flying Cloud. I always carry two cases of Lynx blocks and finally for first time I used all of both for the recent camping trip.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Agreed with others that leveling can be a breeze with the right gadgets.

The big ticket IMO is the Anderson ramp style levelers. Leveling and chock in one go.

Get to a site, throw it in low range, back 95% into the site. Then put the leveling ramps against the wheels on the low side.

Levelpro would be awesome, but I just have a couple basic bubble levels stuck on the tongue. Back up on the ramps while the wifee watches it and hollers good when I'm level.

Throw wedge in ramp to chock.

Unhitch, and tongue jack to level fore and aft.

Done
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Yeah Airstream's frames are not I Beam. They are more compliant to match the flex of the body and help reduce creases in the Aluminum sheets. However this makes the frame rails susceptible to buckling and excessive flex which puts stress and causes strain in body components if the stabilizers are over tightened.

It is important to note the stabilizers, though they are made of jack components, are not jacks and are not intended to level or lift the Airstream chassis even a 1/4 inch because of the considerations mentioned above.

So don't put leveling jacks of any kind on an airstream.
The AS frame for sure, has flex that can cause issues. I do remember we were in Yellowstone few years ago with our 28', and I forgot to put up the stabilizer jacks when I was raising the front to load on to my hitch...jack was struggling. Wife came out the front door and said it would not close/line up properly...the "ahaa"moment- seeing the stabalizers still down...(and the "relief" moment, that no one was watching) It tweeked the door just enough that the screen would not close properly, till we got back to Jackson later that summer and they re-adjusted it. Check list important to follow, she reminded me.

We do have the Camco curved levelers, but wife does not like them as they will slide in dirt/gravel, so she prefers the leggo blocks. I think the LevelMate Pro along with the Anderson make a lot of sense now...may have to switch.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote