Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
Yellowstone4

1986 34' Excella
Surrey , British Columbia
86' Excella Electric Jack Stuck

HELP!!

I have a 1986 34' Excella. My electric jack is simply stuck. Won't make any noise, no matter if I go up or down. I have had the trailer for nearly two years with no issues at all. She has been parked now for about 2 months since our last trip. Due to my property not being level, to get the trailer level while parked at the house, I jack her up really high.

Stuff I Tried
  1. I used a floor jack to relieve the stress off the jack, in case that was an issue, but no luck.
  2. Although she has been hooked up to shore power all this time, and has newer batteries, I even tried to hookup the pig tail, with the truck running, and no luck.
  3. I looked at this forum to see if someone has the same jack, and no one appears to. I have no markings I can read through the paint, anywhere on the jack itself.
  4. I have no outside location, on top, sides, rear, or bottom of the jack head where a manual screw or bolt head can be accessed to lower her manually.
  5. I opened the top cover and there are four Philips head screws I removed, all from beneath the cap. Under the cap are the gears that connect it all, and if you lift those up on the plate they rest on, you can see the screw they turn to lower and raise the jack. However, to get to that screw and manually turn it looks like it requires a disassembly, since the wires are in the way.
I will try to post some photos, but in case anyone is up late (or early), I'm posting this now.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
Yellowstone4

1986 34' Excella
Photos

I hope these photos can help someone identify my solution. Thanks in advance to any and all who reply. It's now 2:23 a.m. as I post this and I need some zzz's before I get back to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2676.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	263809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	263810  

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	263811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	263812  

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	263813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	263814  

Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Yellowstone4

1986 34' Excella
Here is a quick update. So, I just went out and tried it again, and now, randomly, it is working! I am beginning to suspect a bad ground or something electrical in the jack, or perhaps up to the fuse panel is bad. While I'm thrilled to be able to hook up and go, this issue will inevitably return again.

I don't want to have to buy a new jack, as I see nothing wrong with this one, except for what appears to be no manual ability to lower or raise it! So for that reason, I may invest in a new one. I'm taking my floor jack today and lots of wood in case I need to deal with it manually for this trip.

If I do get another jack, can anyone recommend which to buy? Our trailer has an 8,900 lb. GVWR, so bear that in mind. Please shoot me make, model, and where to buy, online or otherwise.

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Hope your jack woes are less today...I'm in similar boat with my 77 Land Yacht. Just trying to sort it for first trip...replacing fridge and now the jack seems like it's stripped the internal gears..motors runs but no movement and i can hear chewing in the motor...chains and belt look good.

It's original with no manual option which I do not like as well.

I'm picking this one up today in Buffalo ...I'm sure there is a Harbor Freight in Blaine, WA. The reviews look pretty good and the price even with exchange is great. $139 USD

http://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb...ack-69899.html

mike
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote