Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Window seal leaking ??????

I guess it's my turn for the age old ( or Airstream Old ) issue of leaks. It seems that just to the right of the entry door is a non-opening window. It originally was a double paned one but someone in it's prior life had removed the inner pane. Probably due to its inner seal leaking and the window fogging. That's another story. On the outside there seems to be a piece of aluminum trim that's rivited to the body with a seal of some sort to make it weather proof. I see some gaps in the glass / seal line and they are significant and need to be sealed. I have some sealer that I used on the roof when I installed new vents. Is that good for the window application or is there something more appropiate I can use. The original seal between the glass and trim appears to have been a solid material rather than a caulking type. It has leaked onto the floor and will require me to remove some of the flooring and replace. But that's another thread and issue.

Thanks all,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks to Andy. My question seems to have already been discussed and answered.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I don't know about the glass seal, but I replaced all the window gaskets on my trailer. Some of those leaked and they were all brittle, compressed, and checked.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think it's a good idea to replace them all to do a complete job. My need now is to seal off an existing leak that has destroyed my floor so I can clean things up and repair the floor. It seems that the glass seal for these non-opening windows are not available. The gaps I had were not large but significant enough to have to be closed. I followed the instructions given by Andy for a different thread about the same issue so I hope that I have at the very least stopped the water entry from this source. Now on to removing the floor and replacing it.

Thanks for the input.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18